Ready-made/Instant food reinvented

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready-made/Instant food reinvented

Any transformed-from-instant food recipes to share? What do you do/add to a can of ready-made soup to make it more delicious? What are you fave instant food (instant noodles not counted)? Where do you get them from (if its not available at regular supermarkets)? I'm looking for ideas to transform instant soup or other food into something better.

Share, share!

Re: Ready-made/Instant food reinvented

Originally posted by sweetmango
    I'm looking for ideas to transform instant soup or other food into something better.

Share, share!
    I love chunky soup, and Campbells chunky soup fits my tastebuds. There are already huge food chunks in there and hence no need to add any other ingredients, other than add 1/4 of water if you like it less salty. Good on its own. Best with fresh baguette. I also like the select clam chowder. I don't go for any other instant soup

Also, if you have a sweet tooth, try buying instant "tang yuan" (dumplings with fillings), and a can of peanut soup. Boil them and you have tang yuan for the whole family.

Another quick one is pasta. Cook the pasta and ingredients and just add instant sauce. Tomato, cream based or olive oil (aglio style) are all available in bottle forms.

If i want to cook chinese, i use instant mix. Deep fry is also easy - fries, nuggets, wedges, chicken. Steam - mixed veggie of corn, peas, carrots, steamed siew mai, bao etc. Toasting - galic bread, pizza, pies etc.

You can tell i can't cook a decent meal

Comment

dreamie, pasta! yum yum! i like to melt butter, throw in the bottled tomato pasta sauce, stir continously adding sweet peas, some red chilli & lots of mushroom & then pour the whole thing onto my al dente pasta...yum yum! i should start to cook again for myself...been too lazy too long!

Comment

speaking of pasta, a very simple method is just to add a can of tuna to your pasta, and some pesto. light but yummy.

Comment

Just curious, anyone here cooks (proper meals) regularly? How about the Ccotters that are living with SOs? Do you all eat out or cook?

Wow...thanks for the fast replies ladies! Keep it coming

My instant food contributions:

Pasta:
          Instant sauce- add a little chicken stock & heat it up. Sautee garlic, mushrooms, prawns, bacon bits in butter in seperate pan. When sauce is heated, mix in the sauteed ingredients and allow it to settle for 5 min or so. I always switch off the fire when the ingredients are mixed with the sauce, to avoid the ingredients soaking up all the tomato-y taste of the sauce.

Chinese Yong Tau Foo soup:
          Buy yong Tau Foo ingredient. Boil some dried anchovies (mini dried fishies) in water, drain and dump anchovies. Throw in all Yong Tau Foo ingredients and simmer over low fire for half an hour. Voila!

That's all the instant food I can think of- that's why i need ideas!

Comment

Another favourite - tom yam seafood soup with rice or tang hoon (glass noodle)

Boil water and add in tom yam paste (got to buy the right one coz some of them don't taste good), add in mushrooms, lots of veggies, fish/chicken/ prawn slices/, fishballs, tofu etc. Served with tanghoon or white rice. This can be yong tau hoo style too.

More when i can think of them..

Comment

Dreamie, what brand is good? Your post reminds me, I've been trying forever to find the yummiest tom yam paste, but never got round to it. Any recommendations?

Comment

Hmm... let me recall. Is there a brand called Holly Farm or something? I know Knorr is not very good, those cube ones are lousy too. It's a glass jar form, remember to check the expiry dates. Should be available at NTUC/ cold storage.

Have fun doing tom yam, basically you can chuck whatever you want in the soup. The seafood will sweeten the soup slightly.

Comment

i cook everyday...

Bready bacon salmon: Rub soy sauce and salt into salmon. Scatter breadcrumbs over the fish. Place bacon bits on top of the fish. grind the black pepper on top. Put in oven 15 to 20 minutes.

Stole this receipe from a magazine..

Tom yum soup : Onions, lemongrass, eshallots,mushroom, prawn, pork/chicken meat.. anything you think is suitable.. and of course the tom yum paste. Throw everything in and boil..

Comment

Originally posted by esabelle
                    i cook everyday...

Bready bacon salmon: Rub soy sauce and salt into salmon. Scatter breadcrumbs over the fish. Place bacon bits on top of the fish. grind the black pepper on top. Put in oven 15 to 20 minutes.

Stole this receipe from a magazine..

Tom yum soup : Onions, lemongrass, eshallots,mushroom, prawn, pork/chicken meat.. anything you think is suitable.. and of course the tom yum paste. Throw everything in and boil..
                    How many do you cook for? Must be tough on time to cook daily huh.. I used to love cooking and experimenting with all kinds of recipes until my schedule got real packed recent few months, hence looking for ideas on instant food.

BTW, what brand of tom yam paste can you recommend?

Comment

Everyone here is an epicurean! I mean, yong tau foo, pasta, tom yam...WOW! I can't believe you girls think these are short cut foods! 8O

I personally love pasta a lot. I add sausages to mine

Another easy recipe is potato salad:

Boil a few potatoes, peel, chop/mash, mix in mayo and chopped onions. Add whatever else you may want (eg: chopped bacon/sausages) C'est tout!

Mag

Comment

Originally posted by makeupmag
                        Everyone here is an epicurean! I mean, yong tau foo, pasta, tom yam...WOW! I can't believe you girls think these are short cut foods! 8O

Mag
                        hahaaaaa....actually I started out this thread asking for ideas for REAL instant food (think powdered/canned soup) but somehow it evolved to not-instant-but-just-as-fast food

Thanks for sharing ideas, keep it coming if you think of somemore!

Comment

Originally posted by sweetmango
                          hahaaaaa....actually I started out this thread asking for ideas for REAL instant food (think powdered/canned soup) but somehow it evolved to not-instant-but-just-as-fast food

Thanks for sharing ideas, keep it coming if you think of somemore!
                          sweetmango..not only are we beauty queens, we can cook too, eh!

Ok, "real" instant food -

- cocktail sausages
                          - Paul's Bacon (& Ham I think) Dip - Really yummy! Goes well with carrot sticks, cucumber sticks

Mag

Comment

I am married but I don't cook at all. Cooking is really not my cup of tea. I wld mess up the whole kitchen. Actually I hate cooking but I love to eat. Most of them either my mom cooks or we eat out.

Comment

well campbell's cream of mushroom soup makes for a v good pasta in mushroom sauce.

cook pasta as per normal.
                              melt butter, saute some chopped onions and garlic till fragrant. add chopped (preferably fresh, if not canned will do) mushrooms and fry till soft and almost 100% cooked through. add mushroom soup. turn fire down and simmer till soup is reduced to a thick creamy consistency (up to you how thick or thin you want the sauce to be)

pour over pasta. add bacon bits for garnish

mango, is that what you meant by playing with 'instant' foods?

Comment

Working...
                              X