Recipe of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe of the Day

Seems like the wrong thread to discuss recipes huh? But I cannot find the recipe thread Okay, will share the recipe here first and shall move it to the correct place later

Glutinous rice (self-improvised ) - serve 2
    1 cup glutinous rice
    1 cup water
    Taiwan sausages
    Chicken thigh meat
    Chinese mushrooms

1/2 cube Knorr chicken stock
    sugar
    dark soya sauce
    3/4 tbsp oil
    1 tsp sesame oil

Method
    Soak the glutinous rice for about 2 hours. Drain it.

Soak chinese mushrooms until soft. Slice them.

Marinate chicken meat with some dark soya sauce and a pinch of sugar.

Put glutinous rice into a non-stick sauce-pan/pot and add in almost 1 cup of water, chicken stock cube3/4 tbsp oil and 1 tsp sesame oil. Heat on high fire until boiling. Lower fire. Stir to mix.

Drain marinated chicken and add into the rice. Add mushroom too. Stir every now and then to prevent burning at the base.

When the entire mixture is drier, add in the chinese sausages. Continue to stir until the rice forms a lump that doesn't stick to the side of the pot anymore.

Serve in a big bowl. Tuck In!

wow, sounds real good! Too bad I've given up on eating meat at home, if not I'll try it out in a sec! Perhaps will do so one of these days as a special treat

Comment

Do try it if you can.... it takes a mere 15 mins of cooking time only Thank goodness my hubby is easily satisfied with one-dish meak!

Comment

Does any of you make your own salads at home? I do, but my salads are boring, I normally use red peppers, carrots, cucumbers, zuchinis, boiled eggs, salad greens and dash of thousand island.
        What do you use in your salads? Roll on the salad recipes!!

ps: I can't find the recipe thread, that's why I posted it here.

Comment

i love salads

some ingredients i use are cold prawns, tomatoes, cucumbers tuna, smoked salmon, sundried tomatoes and garden leaves

as for dressing, i always do a balsamic vinegar & olive oil type of dressing... coupled with lemon juice

one of the recipes i use
          Tuna Ni?oise

ingredients
          4 x 200g tuna fillets
          olive oil
          sea salt and pepper
          120 mls extra virgin olive oil
          70 mls white wine vinegar
          1 clove garlic, crushed
          1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
          sea salt and pepper
          350g 'New' potatoes, steamed and sliced
          ? cup (90g) seeded Kalamata olives
          8 anchovy fillets, chopped
          150 green beans, trimmed and blanched
          3 vine ripened tomatoes, cut into 8
          3 hard boiled eggs
          chervil (herb)

Preheat char-grill pan over medium high heat. Brush tuna with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Whisk olive oil, vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper together. In a medium bowl toss potatoes, olives, anchovies, beans, tomatoes, eggs and dressing.

Char-grill tuna for 1 - 2 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Serve atop a generous portion of salad and add chervil to garnish.

Comment

Ladies I need ideas for healthy quick-fix sandwiches, please roll in whatever ideas you have!

Comment

mango: how about using smoked salmon or rosemary chicken filling (you gotta prepare this in advance)? yummy! just typing out these suggestions makes my mouth water *heehee*

ladies, i need some help. i'd like to try my hand at baking some simple dishes for the bf (my 1st time! i'm so excited!). i'm such a kitchen dummy - would scalloped potatoes and cornflake cookies be good? there are so many variations available, but i don't have much time to try out which ones are good. would appreciate any suggestions

Comment

corn flakes cookies?

i usually mix butter 100g, sugar 4 tbsp and honey 4 tbsp together throughly
                then pour mixture with cornflakes and blend
                scoop cornflakes mixtures in to those small paper muffin cups

preheat the oven to 160 deg for 10 mins, pop them into the oven for 10 -15mins...
                done!

ETA: i use a trial and error method, i pour in the cornflakes little by little till they mix
                am not a sweet toothed person... so i reduce sugar and honey sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie
                  Seems like the wrong thread to discuss recipes huh? But I cannot find the recipe thread Okay, will share the recipe here first and shall move it to the correct place later

Glutinous rice (self-improvised ) - serve 2
                  1 cup glutinous rice
                  1 cup water
                  Taiwan sausages
                  Chicken thigh meat
                  Chinese mushrooms

1/2 cube Knorr chicken stock
                  sugar
                  dark soya sauce
                  3/4 tbsp oil
                  1 tsp sesame oil

Method
                  Soak the glutinous rice for about 2 hours. Drain it.

Soak chinese mushrooms until soft. Slice them.

Marinate chicken meat with some dark soya sauce and a pinch of sugar.

Put glutinous rice into a non-stick sauce-pan/pot and add in almost 1 cup of water, chicken stock cube3/4 tbsp oil and 1 tsp sesame oil. Heat on high fire until boiling. Lower fire. Stir to mix.

Drain marinated chicken and add into the rice. Add mushroom too. Stir every now and then to prevent burning at the base.

When the entire mixture is drier, add in the chinese sausages. Continue to stir until the rice forms a lump that doesn't stick to the side of the pot anymore.

Serve in a big bowl. Tuck In!
                  blur girl checking in here!

Is it possible to boil the chicken in the marinating sauce and then use that 'stock' to cook the rice?

Also, is it possible to cook the rice in the rice cooker instead of a wok?

Lastly, is chinese sausage essential? And is it pork?

Sorry to bombard with questions!

I've been experimenting a lot with those 'spice' packets my mom got for me from singapore. So far, I've successfully made Hainanese chicken rice, Bak Ku Teh, Terriyaki Chicken, Terriyaki broiled Salmon, and what not.

Found out that a great way to make rice taste good is to cook it in the 'soup' you get from boiling any meat! Or just boil some water with a stock cube inside and use that for making the rice.

Comment

Originally posted by ataraxia
                    blur girl checking in here!

Is it possible to boil the chicken in the marinating sauce and then use that 'stock' to cook the rice?

Sorry to bombard with questions!
                    not vonnie but thought i could help
                    marinating sauce has soya sauce so might not turn to be nice
                    but entirely up to u
                    u cook the glutinous rice in the wok to make it more fragrant.
                    am not sure but i think glutinous rice takes a longer time to cook..
                    and it will be sticky as well?

chinese sausage is essential made of pork and intestines (aka spare parts)

i made chicken stock using chicken maryland, freeze the stock and then use the meat ( i tear into strips) and make a chicken salads with some fish sauce, lemon, and herbs
                    save me some money and time as well when i am preparing dinner

Comment

not vonnie as well but have a very easy glutinious rice recipe to share ...

Ingredients:
                      2 cups glutinous rice
                      1/3 cup dried shrimps (soaked, then drain)
                      6 dried mushrooms (soaked, drained and thinly sliced)
                      3 - 4 chinese sausage (i usualy chop to abt 0.5cm x
                      0.5cm)
                      Minced garlic
                      Salt (to taste)
                      Dark Soy Sauce (to taste)

Soak glutinous rice in water for a few hours or
                      overnight then drain just before cooking.
                      Heat frying pan / wok with oil and fry garlic. Add
                      dried shrimps, followed by mushrooms. When shrimps
                      cooked, add chinese sausage and continue to fry for
                      about 1 minute. Add in glutinous rice (drained) and
                      salt (abt 1 1/2 teaspoon??) and dark soy sauce to
                      taste. Fry for another few minutes then turn off
                      stove.

Method One
                      Add some water (1 cup??) to rice and put in steaming container, and steam for 1/2 - 1 hour. This method is very easy cos don't really need to watch but I don't have a steamer so I used.....

Method Two
                      Put rice in pyrex dish or any microwave-safe dish and
                      add water til it covers about 3/4 of the rice. Microwave uncovered at high for 10 mins, take out and stir, then put clingwrap or cover and microwave at high for another 5 mins. If necessary (looks too dry) add a bit more water. Microwave time ??? depends on individual microwave.

HTHs !

Comment

thanks mich! yours sounds like a great recipe.

Niv: thanks for all your tips!!
                        marinating sauce has soya sauce so might not turn to be nice
                        how come? :huh:

Comment

how come? :huh:
                          no prob Xue
                          i think the stock will taste like soya-sauce
                          just me i think i dont put soya sauce in stock, only salt

Comment

Thank you ladies for helping me with the response!

Xue, the marinating sauce is just sufficient to coat the chicken, hence there will not be enough to "boil" the chicken in I get your drift though.... that is why after the rice mixture boil, I put the chicken into the mixture and let it boil further together until cook This way, there is real chicken flavour other than that from the stock cube.

I believe it is ok if you prefer to use a rice cooker. For me, I prefer the sauce pan cos I can stir very regularly (glutinous rice tend to burn when cooking on a stove), and I feel that slight charring of the rice from the side of the pan gives it a nicer taste and fragrance

I don't use chinese sausage... I use the taiwanese sausage and I usually opt for the low fat chicken ones

Hope this helps some....

Comment

i dont know how to cook but this lovely website has some good recipes

discovered the shop when i was in toronto, enjoy girls!!

http://content1.williams-sonoma.com/...,src=hme%2Fhme

Comment

Working...
                              X