Instant Noodles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Noodles

Since I'm such a huge fan of instant noodles, thought I'd start a thread on it.

A few questions...

What's your favorite brand/make/flavor of instant noodles?

What ingredients do you throw into your instant noodles?

Personally, I love Myojo's Ramen Char Mee 100 Extra Spicy for dry noodles!

For soupy ones, I'm not so discerning...almost anything goes, but it has to be quite hot and spicy (think Korean kimchi flavored ones).

Ingredients I usually throw into my instant noodles (not altogether of course!)...

*an egg bashed with 2 dashes of pepper and 5 dashes of Chinese rice wine (really brings out the flavor of the egg, I feel)
    *crabsticks
    *fish dumplings
    *fishballs
    *pork balls
    *beef balls
    *fish slices
    *dried scallops
    *fried shallots (if available)
    *additional pepper
    *at least 5 chili padis cut diagonally, straight into the soup

Any suggestions what else I can throw into my instant noodles to jazz it up?

I love to enjoy my instant noodles ultra hot, ultra spicy...and in the process clear my sinus as well (mucus pouring out my nose!). Shiok-a-doodle-doo!

If eating instant noodles without making me pour sweat and nose juice, then the meal is a failure as far as I'm concerned.

Re: Maggi Mee

i like Chu Qian Yi Ding's XO Seafood flavour, also Nissin Cup Noodles in Spicy Seafood, Tom Yam Seafood, and Laksa. yummy!

err... nothing actually. i like them just plain...

Cate, i'm an absolute instant noodle junkie! instant noodles are my comfort food. i am a fan of Indomee Mee Goreng too.. or is it IndoFood? i dunno, but it's a maroon packaging. for dry noodles

Comment

Re: Re: Maggi Mee

Originally posted by islande
      i like Chu Qian Yi Ding's XO Seafood flavour, also Nissin Cup Noodles in Spicy Seafood, Tom Yam Seafood, and Laksa. yummy!

err... nothing actually. i like them just plain...

Cate, i'm an absolute instant noodle junkie! instant noodles are my comfort food. i am a fan of Indomee Mee Goreng too.. or is it IndoFood? i dunno, but it's a maroon packaging. for dry noodles
      Oh yeah, Chu Qian Yi Ding's XO Seafood flavor's definitely the best cup (or rather, bowl) noodles I've tasted so far. It's also Hubby's fave!

Nothing like instant noodles to scoop me out of financial rut-induced starvation. Average of $2 or less can last me 5 meals (nearly 2 days!).

Maggi Mee!

Comment

haha... Steph u make me drool *over instant noodles*!! i've tried this Korean kimchi flavoured one in a tub that's really spicy n shiok! but can't remember e name off hand. show u if i see it next time, red packaging. i've always love chu qian yi dings in all flavours! the tom yum & laksa flavour r damn good also but now cutting down on them coz they pack a mean punch of carbos hehe...

Comment

Cate, just reading your post makes me break out in sweat- this is coming from someone who cannot take even a wee bit of spiciness! (Gosh, 5 chilli padis- I am having heartburn just thinking about it! )

I did went through a mini phase of instant noodles a long time ago, but I generally cant stomach much instant noodles, the taste is too artificial for me. I actually feel unwell after eating a whole bowl by myself

But here are some ideas that came up in my head on what you could add into your bowl of steaming spiciness:

-enoki mushroom (white stringy mushrooms that looks like bean sprouts)
          -shitake mushrooms
          -straw mushrooms (I love mushrooms, can tell huh)
          -veggies like xiao bai cai (chinese cabbage) or cai xin (kale)
          -canned pork ribs (I liked these alot! Just drain the oil and throw into your noodles)
          -luncheon meat (er..if you like oily meat)
          -seaweed
          -yong tau foo ingredients
          -prawns

Comment

I am a lazy ass so I don't usually bother with putting extras in my instant noodles.

My favorite thing to do is mix Myojo's Ramen Char Mee 100 Extra Spicy with Indo Mee Goreng. It's a fantastic combi!

Comment

I have to confess my husband cooks the best instant noodles!! He does it just right. Not overly cooked nor too raw. I hate it when the noodles are just too cooked!

Normally he would put tons of ingredients inside depending on what we have in the fridge that needs clearing. The main ingredient that we use is crab stick!

My favourite dry noodle - Indo Mee Goreng
              My favourite soup - Koka brand Prawn, Chicken, Tom Yam
              My favourite cup noodle - Nissin Seafood

In fact, I love most type of instant noodles. I live practically on it when I was in UK doing my degree! Not healthy but it's the only food that needs little skill and little time to cook. Delicious!

Comment

I think maggie mee is such an ingenious creation.

I love the standard maggi brand and also Chu Qian Yi Ding. Love their chicken flavour or Tom Yum! Nissin makes cup noodles! The laksa is so authetic ! *LOL*. Their spicy seafood and Tom Yum is nice too !

I also like to buy those Korean brands of maggie mee. The spicy type in red packets and the thicker-noodles in white packaging. Very yummy too!

I usually add an egg, some vege and some fiskcakes or carbsticks into my mee!

When i'm in the mood for nice maggie mee, i stir fry them too! Nice!

Comment

isetan supermarket has this fab japanese instant noodles.
                  it's the dry type, and the sauce is soya based, but there's an added mini pouch of MAYONAISE!

YUM!!

Comment

aveline, i think i know which you are talking about! it's available at Carrefour i think.

Stella, gotta try out your combi sometime! yumm!

and yes, the brand i was talking about, i think it's Indo Mee Goreng that everyone's talking about

Comment

Hey ladies! If you take alot of dry instant noodles, try this method of preserving the 'crunch' in your mee. When the noodles are done, dunk them in a seperate pot of cold water before transferring onto plate. I find that the noodles' natural 'springiness' is preserved this way.

There's a Jap instant noodle (dunno the brand cuz it's all in Jap words) available at Cold Storage. The wrapper is orange in color and there's a picture of a yummy looking egg yolk on the cover. Hubby says that this particular instant noodles contain the least fat content compared to others out in the market. I have no idea how to validate this cuz I know nuts about fat content (I only know how to consume them!). Fats aside, this is also one of the most delicious instant noodles I've ever tasted, with just the right amount of oomph and spiciness. It's also cheap...average $1 a packet depending on offer...I've seen it yo-yo from $0.80 to $1.20 per packet.

Myojo's new Korean Kimchi flavor is also highly recommended. Chili padis really bring out the steam, man. Shiok-a-doodle-doo!

Thanks for your ingredient suggestions, mango! Mushrooms sounds like a great idea!

Okie Pris, show me the one you're talking about next time we're out. I'm always up for trying out new flavors!

Comment

hmmm i used to be a instant mee fanatic, staying in australia and trying to scrimp and save

i love korean instant mee, usually i cook the noodles then put them in the stock

i am abit fussy abt the stock though, i use homemade chicken stock with the packet of "msg"

some ingredients i use:
                        1. kelp
                        2. enoki mushrooms ( usually canned ones )
                        3. cocktail sausages
                        4. green vegs (caixin, kale, brocoli)
                        5. fishballs
                        6. slices of beef

i love indo mee goreng too! usually buy a box of them (40 packets) and put it at home :roll:

Comment

What a thread!! I am another fan of instand noodles myself!
                          I love those japanese ramen instant noodles as they make one of the tastiest soups around (Killing us with the MSG). I love to purchase the Japanese Chilli powders which comes in bottles with red bottle caps and pour some into the noodles after it's done. An easy way to make your soup spicy and hot.

Right now I am in love with Myojo's Tom Yam Noodles.. the one which comes in a red packet. The soup base's taste really good and they even have a extra packet of tom yam paste for those diehard tom yam fans like me!
                          I think so far this is the only local one I will eat... the Nissin cupped ones are not bad as well.

Some ingredients I add :
                          - veggies (a must )
                          - sliced pork/chicken
                          - abalone (This sounds insane but the abalone stock makes the best noodle soup meal! )
                          - Prawns (greaaat for Tom Yam)

Gosh, all this talking about noodles has made me salivate!

Comment

*Tummy seriously rumbling as I read this thread* Gosh, so many great suggestions I dunno where even to start. A coupla days ago I tried some Korean cup noodles (bowl actually)...sizeable portion, absolutely delish even though minimally garnished. Again, I'm at a loss as to what the brand is cuz I can't read Korean, but the packaging is red (DUH! seems like most Korean bei bei mian has red packaging anyway). :roll:

Comment

I could live on Maggi Assam Laksa flavoured instant noodles! (with the occasional Indomie Mee Goreng thrown in for variety)

All I need is an egg thrown in and I'm happy. Comfort food. Mmmm....

Comment

Working...
                              X