Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overrated Food Outlets

HELLO :wave:

Dont know if this thread is correct category.
    Just wanted to share my "GOURMET" experience with all of you.

Last weekend i was at Chinatown food court, located at Cross road with my SO.
    Apparently we queued with 45 mins just to eat the famous Heng Kee Clayout Curry Mee
    To my disappointment, both me and my SO felt that the curry mee tasted gross. Even my maid's curry tasted better.
    The curry didnt taste good, i felt that there was too much coconut and MSG added, the curry wasnt even a bit spicy for someone that cannot take spicy. VERDICT = I WASTE MY TIME QUEUEING TO EAT HORRID MEE

Apparantely i also heard that Heng Kee wants to sell their business to anyone for 1 million, they will teach you the ropes to their trade and u are supposedly guranteed to make money.

Sometimes i feel that the media tend to exaggerate on the quality of food. How disappointing??

Care to share if u know of any overrated food establishments

Mine - Heng Kee Curry Mee
    - Changi Nasi Lemak

Baker's Inn. Lousy food, even lousier service. I simply can't fathom the raves about this place. The desserts are dry and tough and don't even look appealing to me. Biting into me, instantly confirms my first impressions.

Their service! The bill takes forever to come and their staff prefers to stand around and treat you as though you grew up eating glass.

Swenson's is just as bad. I vowed to boycott them after several bad experiences. At 10am, with fewer than 10 customers in the restaurant, service is soooooooooooo horrible! They take forever to seat you, take your order and hand you your bill. This happened at not only 1,2 but a few branches I've been to. Airport, Parkway, Tampines, Crown Prince. Sheesh..

Comment

Off the bat, the first one that comes to mind is Nooch.
      Eugh.

Comment

Originally posted by geekchic
        Off the bat, the first one that comes to mind is Nooch.
        Eugh.
        I actually thought Nooch was pretty good when it first opened. But it has detoriated in the past few years. I don't go there anymore.

Comment

Nooch is one of those places on my list where I would go once just to try it...never again.

Comment

Ditoo on Nooch. Way over priced menu and mediocre food.

I'd rather pay 1/3 of that $12 noodles and enjoy my bowl of mee pok at my neighbourhood's kopitiam(food center).

Baker's Inn has nice food the last time i went. But the price is expensive and yes i do agree on the non-existent service. Very bad experience at the Paragon branch: Wrong food served and no offer to exchange for the right one and the waitresses services is plain lousy. :piss:

The other one that came to mind: RamenTen at FEP level 1. Yucky food that taste horrible. Me and my friends took the set of the day( which is cheaper by the way), so maybe that explains the miserable pathetic quantity and quality. Seriously, I would not eat there even if for free. :puke:

Comment

I've read so much about Baker's Inn's lousy service so it was a pleasant surprise when I visited their outlet at United Square. The staff were very courteous and greeted us with bright smiles. All requests were promptly met and orders were delivered without a hitch. A very pleasant dining experience.

Totally agree with Swenson's (Crown Prince branch) lousy service. Feel as if they are doing us a favour by allowing us to eat there! Sulky staff and bad service.

Comment

Agree with u gals about Nooch.

Another food outlet will be Prego.
                Always looking down on people.
                Bad attitude. hate the attitude :piss:

Comment

D.in Tai Feng at Paragon. The long queue outside the shop made me want to try the food there. After having queued up for 45 minutes and tried their food, my verdict is: the la mian and fried rice are really, absolutely nothing to shout about The xiao long bao are not bad but well, I am sure you can get xiao long bao of that standard at many other places too
                  Last edited by Vonn; 25-03-2004, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Swensen's. Appalling service. Dunno why people queue up to get in there. They constantly disappoint, either mixing up my orders or taking forever to serve us or displaying zero product knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie
                      *** Tai Feng at Paragon. The long queue outside the shop made me want to try the food there. After having queued up for 45 minutes and tried their food, my verdict is: the la mian and fried rice are really, absolutely nothing to shout about The xiao long bao are not bad but well, I am sure you can get xiao long bao of that standard at many other places too
                      Me and hubbie are totally with u on this. Neil Road's Xiao Long Bao is soooo much better. For starters the skin is thinner and the ingredients are juicer.

Their noodles in my hubbie's words were "if they add MSG, it tastes disappointing. If they did not, they are just ok." :huh:

Comment

heard so much about Nooch. Surprised to see another branch at Bugis Junction. Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by stressed
                          Me and hubbie are totally with u on this. Neil Road's Xiao Long Bao is soooo much better. For starters the skin is thinner and the ingredients are juicer.

Their noodles in my hubbie's words were "if they add MSG, it tastes disappointing. If they did not, they are just ok." :huh:
                          Stressy, are you talking about Qun Zhong Eating House xiao long bao? yes they're much more delectable! my family's been going to that place for years ... but recently we frequent *** Tai Fong for some change of taste!

i find the rest of the food at DTF quite standard, nothing to shout about. oh, but i like the dou sha bao

Comment

My My....i have always seen a massive queue outside DTF every weekend.

after hearing your reviews, i would mind giving it a miss :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by islande
                              Stressy, are you talking about Qun Zhong Eating House xiao long bao? yes they're much more delectable! my family's been going to that place for years ... but recently we frequent *** Tai Fong for some change of taste!

i find the rest of the food at DTF quite standard, nothing to shout about. oh, but i like the dou sha bao
                              Yup yup! That's the one!

DTF's xiao long bao has IMO too many folds. Thus the thick accumulation of the skin at the top (plus it's hard). Qun Zhong's bao is just nice....*slurp*

Comment

Working...
                              X