Local Delights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Delights

Couldn't find a thread dedicated to our local delights, so thought I'll start one. Where do you go for real good (1)chicken rice (roast and steamed)? (2)hokkien mee? (3)laksa? (4)satay bee hoon?

Need some chicken rice help here:
    Recently I took a liking to roast chicken rice (I almost never eat chicken rice), but the thing is that I realised that there are two types of roast chicken- one kind (the kind I'm looking for) is like the steamed white-skin chicken (Bai zhan Ji), except that the skin is brownish, usually served in the same way as those Bai Zhan Ji (with some soya sauce, sesame oil and cucumber slices). Another kind (the kind I don't like) is also called roasted chicken, but the skin is thick and reddish (instead of brownish) and it tastes very different from the first kind. Usually served with some thickened braised sauce (ru3 zhi1) over it. Everytime I ask my hubby to order/buy roast chicken for me, he comes back with the wrong kind (he think they're both the same kind LOL) since both are called roasted chicken (shao1 ji1). How to order the first kind? Do they have a name I don't know of? :huh:

I think there are 3 types of chicken

Steamed Chicken - Bai Ji
    Roasted Chicken - Shao Ji
    Braised Chicken - You Ji

I chicken rice! I usually buy chicken rice from Balestier (Boon Tong Kee) and Serangoon Gardens (Pow Sing).

Satay Bee Hoon & Hokkien Mee from Chomp Chomp

Char Kway Teow from Serangoon Gardens (the Newton Circus stall)
    Last edited by qiu; 06-06-2004, 10:35 PM.

Comment

My favourite steamed chicken rice

Tian Tian Chicken Rice ( Maxwell Market)
      Boon Tong Kee ( Bt Timah, Chinatown)

Other local delights:

Hokkien Mee ( Ang Mo Kio coffeeshop, near Blk 344)
      Char Kuey Teow ( Queenstown Market)
      Laksa ( House of Laksa at Jurong Point food court)
      Curry Chicken ( Marina south, Amara food court)

Comment

Re: Local Delights

Originally posted by mango

Recently I took a liking to roast chicken rice (I almost never eat chicken rice), but the thing is that I realised that there are two types of roast chicken- one kind (the kind I'm looking for) is like the steamed white-skin chicken (Bai zhan Ji), except that the skin is brownish, usually served in the same way as those Bai Zhan Ji (with some soya sauce, sesame oil and cucumber slices).

Everytime I ask my hubby to order/buy roast chicken for me, he comes back with the wrong kind (he think they're both the same kind LOL) since both are called roasted chicken (shao1 ji1). How to order the first kind? Do they have a name I don't know of? :huh:
        I think the one you are looking for is Braised Chicken (You Ji), not Roast CHicken (Shao Ji)

Comment

Chicken (Bai Zhan Ji) Rice - Queenstown -> The chilli sauce is fantastic!!!
          Beef Stew - Alexander Village Hawker Centre
          Chui(sp?) Kuey - Bedok Intercharge Hawker Centre

Comment

chicken rice - bf the stall @ Bedok Central (S11 coffee shop IIRC, pretty near the NTUC) but we usually eat "bai ji"

chwee kueh - i tiong bahru's!

Comment

i'm not too sure about the different types of chicken rice, but the one at Lucky Plaza's reallyreally good!! they sell out pretty early everyday, though, so be sure to be there before 7!

Comment

Originally posted by qiu
                I think there are 3 types of chicken

Steamed Chicken - Bai Ji
                Roasted Chicken - Shao Ji
                Braised Chicken - You Ji
                to add on...
                the white skin chicken is aka bai zhan ji (steamed chicken)
                the brown version of it is you ji (soya sauce chicken)
                then there's the crisper skin - shao ji (roast chicken)

mango, no wonder your hub got confused!

chicken rice
                boon tong [email protected] rd
                loy [email protected] mkt

Comment

Steamed chook?

bai zhan ji is not steamed chicken?

the chicken is actually cooked in boiling water, probably aka boiled chickens

p/s: darn, i am craving for those chooks now!

Comment

I think bai zhan ji is steamed chicken

Comment

Far East Plaza

Don't know whether you all have tried the Chicken rice @ the fourth floor in Far East Plaza? That area have nice Malay food & Wanton Mee

Comment

Yah tried that Hainanese 'Fast-Food' chicken rice @ FEP.

Sometimes they cooked the rice too hard & not fragrant enough. But the chicken is tender enough..

'Fast-food' - serves the food fast enough & friendly uncle always have to hint & rush us. Have to let them do more business right ho.

Don't really like to venture out further that floor as my hair stinks every time I went up.

Comment

Went to Boon Tong Kee at Balestier outlet for supper last nite. We had roasted chicken, it was not bad. But one thing puzzled me. The guy said they only sell chicken in half. There is no quarter chicken and they do not go by the plates either. Is that the usual practice? I don't recall it being that way when I went to the Boon Tong Kee at East Coast.

I feel that is so inflexible if they only sell half chicken cos what happened if there is only one person?

Comment

I find Boon Tong Kee waaaay overpriced. My favourite chicken rice stall is still the one at Far East level 4.

Comment

Can any kind cotters know where to find this Hakka food store? The name is Mei Zhen Hakka Food Store.

I love the Hakka Abacus seeds (ate it @ a relative's). I only recall the stall's name after seeing it being featured in a Channel U short food feature.

TIA

Comment

Working...
                              X