Rice Dumplings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice Dumplings

Am craving for dumplings now. Anyone knows where I can get the best NONYA dumplings?

Thanks

Hi Jazzy

i can recommend u the best Nonya Dumpling in Singapore. its in Joo Chiat Place - Kim Choo Dumpling (or something like that) actually they have branches in Singapore but i only know the one in Joo Chiat...

The nonya dumpling is cool.... got lots of meat inside! quite well know too!! a must try!

Comment

How long can dumplings keep? need to refrigerate or not? How do you heat them up? There are a few times I bought dumplings and leave them on the counter top overnight, and the next morning when I heat them up to eat, I realised that the insides of the dumplings have some dried parts, as if rice is uncooked. Is this due to leaving them overnight or something? Or did I just buy from a lousy store?

Comment

This thread came just at the right time. I was JUST eating one! lol.

Mango, I think you have to put the dumplings away in the refridgerator. And when I want to eat them, I just microwave them on high for about 2mins. You can steam them too, but I'm lazy. lol. Not sure how long you can keep them though. The longest I've kept them is 2 days, n they were just as good.

Comment

Re: Dumplings

Originally posted by jazzylee
          Am craving for dumplings now. Anyone knows where I can get the best NONYA dumplings?

Thanks
          Jazzy- I love nonya dumplings too, but not sure where to get the best ones. But I know there are many stalls selling dumplings now at Takashimaya (near Cold Storage cashier checkout). And also at Bugis, near the Kuan Yin temple.

Comment

Chris, put them in a plastic bag (to prevent drying out) and dump them in the fridge. Glutinous rice can go bad if left outside for too long

For me, I find the fastest way to heat them up is to remove the wrappings sprinkle some water on the "naked" dumpling and microwave on high for one and a half minute For dumplings that are too huge, it is advisable to cut it into half before microwaving so that the inside are really heated up

All these talk about dumplings are already making me

Anyone knows where are the other outlets for Kim Choo dumplings? I want to try!

Comment

Oh man, I have such a huge craving for Nonya dumplings now. Won't be able to have any till I go back to Singapore at the end of the year though. Hmph!

Comment

Erica, try getting a few friends together to make your own dumplings!

Comment

I don't have a microwave, only a conventional oven and a steamer. I did steam the dumplings for 25 min, not sure why its still hard? Never mind, will try out these Kim Choo dumplings and see if its the dumpling or my storage method

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie
                    Erica, try getting a few friends together to make your own dumplings!
                    Yeah, thinking of doing that. Anyone got a good Nonya dumpling recipe to share? I love the sweet meat filling, don't like the salty ones at all.

Comment

mango, maybe the dumplings you got were not cooked properly?

Comment

Originally posted by momopeach
                        This thread came just at the right time. I was JUST eating one! lol.

Makes me feel so hungry just reading this. Ok will try and buy some to satisfy my growling tummy.

Comment

mango if there are dry bits, probably uncooked
                          sometimes the quality of the rice might play a part

have no idea how to wrap a dumpling but i remembered my grandma picking out the best ingredients like mushrooms, chestnuts, meat, chinese sausages and gluntinous rice

according to her, glutinous rice must be soaked and the ingredients fried

i know how to fry the ingredients but no idea on what to wrap the rice in....

p/s: i love the red bean dumplings too they are yummy!

Comment

wow.. making dumplings is really a hectic process.. think that's why many people don't do it anymore. It will get very oily in the process too.

For the glutinous rice, my mum will fry them, and use some dark soy sauce to give it the brown color. think she added a little of pepper and/or sugar for taste.

For the filling, my mum got make some paste (dou4 sa1) and put inside. She bought one packet of those yellow colored seeds or what (i'm really bad at remembering names) steam and cook them. Then mashed them and make them into small balls.

For the meat wise, I forgotten most of the ingredients. Some more I might only know the dialect version. Will be making dumplings this saturday. So hope to report back. And hope there's people who can help me with the translation. haha.. Cos I'm real lousy at translation.

Oh well... another weekend gone.....

Comment

Originally posted by jazzylee
                              Makes me feel so hungry just reading this. Ok will try and buy some to satisfy my growling tummy.
                              Hey, if you're going to buy the ones from Joo Chiat, grab 4 for me too, won't you?

Comment

Working...
                              X