Steak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steak!

Wonder where has the best steak u have ever been to? Not necessary to be posh or expensive, roll in your comments!

Outback. Great value for money.

Comment

Oh yeah Outback is I especially love their cheese fries. I can eat that as a main course! lol.

Comment

Don't know about the best steak restaurant but does anyone ever make steak at home? Pan fried? Any recipe to share?

Comment

Got this off the website. Hope it helps some!

Ingredients:

4 boneless sirloin or rib eye steaks
          3 teaspoons butter
          150g button mushrooms, sliced
          1 clove garlic, crushed
          4 shallots, finely chopped
          1/4 cup dry red wine
          2 tablespoons tomato paste
          1/2 cup beef stock
          250g broccoli, cut into flowerets
          310g can baby carrots, drained
          4 small potatoes, sliced
          1/4 teaspoon mixed herbs

Method:

Trim steaks of visible fat.
          Melt one teaspoon of the butter in a pan on medium-high heat.
          Add steaks, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and cook further for 3-4 minutes. Remove. Keep warm.
          Melt remaining butter in pan juices. Saute mushrooms, garlic and shallots.
          Add wine, tomato paste, stock and let simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste.
          Place broccoli and carrots together in a saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes.
          Melt a teaspoon of butter in a pan, gently saute potato slices for 5 minutes, or until cooked. Sprinkle with herbs. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve with accompanying vegetables.

Comment

'Morton's' serve one of the best steak. Super delicious but very expensive at $70+ per serving.

Another wonderful place is 'The Tavern', just had it for my birthday recently and more afforable than 'Morton's'.

Both offer very nice ambience and service. The waiters will do an introduction of the menu specially for you and bring out the steak (in all its freshness) to show you what you will be eating before the chef prepares it for you.

As for home cook steak, my hubby does cook the meanness ones with baked potatoes and all. Too bad I only know how to eat and know nothing about how its done.

Comment

I'm not a red meat eater, but my S/O likes the mixed grill set from this western food stall in Margaret Drive Food centre. The name is Charcoal Grill or Tasty Grill IIRC. It's served to you in a sizzling hotplate. My bf says the sauce is very nice, meat is tender and cooked just right and chewy. But prepared to wait at least 45mins. And the boss (mother & son team) are not exactly the friendliest people around. Their face always black black one, perhaps they are just too busy even to smile. Note: Opening hours is Mon to Thurs, from 7pm only.

Once we reached at 7pm, thinking it will be ready for business. But the guy told us not ready yet. And we waited & waited untill 7.45pm before he starts taking our orders. :piss:

Comment

stella, a recipe that i came up with a few weeks back. good if you like creamy mushroom sauce. the dijonaise gives it a slight tanginess that offsets the creaminess.

Serves 2

2 Sirloin steak
                1/2 brown onion (diced)
                Minced garlic
                200grams Fresh mushrooms (sliced extra thick)
                1/4 cup dry sherry
                1/4 cup beef stock
                1/2 cup thickened cream
                Dijonaise
                Worcestershire sauce
                Salt & Black Pepper

1. Trim off excess fat from steaks amd rub some salt and black pepper onto them.
                2. Add olive oil to the pan. I used enough oil so that I won't have to add more when saute-ing the onions and mushrooms. Saute the steak to your liking (medium rare, well done etc). Remove and set aside.
                3. Using the same pan saute the garlic, onions and mushrooms.
                4. Deglaze the pan with the dry sherry. Add beef stock and cream.
                5. Add dijonaise and worcestershire sauce according to your liking. I used around 1/2 tablespoon of the dijonaise and 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of the worcestershire.
                6. Simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened. Add some salt to taste if required. Pour over your steak.

Serve with some mashed potatoes and steamed carrots on the side.

Comment

The Best steak has to be served at Shaslik Restaurant at Far East Shopping Centre(Beside Hilton). It is a very old Russian restaurant but the steak tastes really good....restaurant is dimly lit with candles and usually full house if you go at the wrong time. Not too pricey, ususally cost us about $60 for dinner for 2 for our order of 2 Shaslik Steak, soup and drinks. You have to try the steak for yourself, its their specialty.

Comment

Originally posted by Peace
                    The Best steak has to be served at Shaslik Restaurant at Far East Shopping Centre(Beside Hilton). It is a very old Russian restaurant but the steak tastes really good....restaurant is dimly lit with candles and usually full house if you go at the wrong time. Not too pricey, ususally cost us about $60 for dinner for 2 for our order of 2 Shaslik Steak, soup and drinks. You have to try the steak for yourself, its their specialty.

I SECOND Shaslik!!!! BEST!!

its an old restuarant with no fanciful surroundings & ambience. u'll feel the age as the waiters & waitresses are OLD too.. but their steak.. is WOW!!!!!

i vote them BEST in town!!!

Comment

If you are keen to eat at Shaslik, be sure to call in advance for reservations. Happened to me before. I decided to be spontaneous and dropped by, seems that it's already full house.

Advisable that you go in proper attire. No slippers, shorts, bermudas.

There's another restaurant with the 'oldish' feel like Shaslik. It's at Sloane Court Hotel. Their steak ain't that bad too. Value-for-money!

*edited to add: The restaurant is called The Berkeley at Sloane Court
                      Last edited by raebelasian; 23-08-2004, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peace
                        Wooo russian restaurant! I wanna go! What else should I try there? How are russian food like?

Comment

I have been to Shaslik too. But that was quite long ago and I don't quite remember. Hmm... maybe I should go back there again

There's another place where the steaks are pretty good it called 'The Oaks' (I think) at Tanglin Mall.

Comment

Originally posted by momopeach
                            Wooo russian restaurant! I wanna go! What else should I try there? How are russian food like?
                            must go try!! yes,, reservation is a must.. i've been there 2x years ago too and you can never get a seat even if u go there to queue..

i can remember they are actually famous for steaks & their authentic desserts.. they also push a trolley to your table & cook in front of you for some of the dishes.. i remember one of their dessert is an orange-skin dipped in somthing.. can't really remember too & they cooked it in front of you.. they lit the orange skin with liquor & dipped into chocolate.. maybe..

at that time i find their food expensive.. now, i am not so sure!

try their steak plain.. u'll love the way the steak taste on its own..

Comment

Oh my, you girls are making me so hungry for steak now!

Will try to go to Shaslik this weekend. Will report back.

Comment

Working...
                              X