X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natto

anyoen eating this???

craving for...

only one other person has mentioned natto here. what is it exactly?

Comment

i think its fermented beans

Comment

Natto is fermented soybeans that is a traditional Japanese staple for more than 1,000 years. Recently its medical benefits are widely recognized in Japan resulting in its increased popularity. Some of its beneficial effects are prevention of heart attacks, strokes, cancer, osteoporosis, obesity and intestinal disease caused by pathogens. Some of the effects are attributed to its soybean origin.

However, bacillus natto produces various enzymes, vitamins, amino acids and other nutrients unique to natto during its natto fermentation. It is these unique elements that give natto its distinctive health and medical benefits. Notably nattokinase and pyrazine prevent or resolve blood clot. They prevent heart attacks and strokes that are the leading cause of death after cancer in North America.

Soybeans are said to be the most complete nutritious crop. In Japan it is known as "meat, grown in a field, without detriments of meat." Incidentally natto provides Vitamin B12 that tends to lack in vegetarian diet. In addition, inexpensive soybeans can be grown even on barren land. It fixes nitrogen in the soil with the help of root nodule bacteria (leguminous bacteria). Accordingly it holds the possibility to lessen the world food crises.

http://www.ynest.com/nattoeng.htm

Comment

Yeah, its me!

I love natto sushi at Sushi Tei and natto ramen. Natto is fermented beans which has a sticky texture. However, it has a slight bitter taste which you have to get used to.

Comment

It's an acquired taste and I dig it!

Comment

Hi Psalmelody & Jing,
              Where can I get some natto beans to try ? Are they sold in Singapore ?

Comment

i tried it, don't like it, very slimy! yeah it is an acquired taste for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly
                  Hi Psalmelody & Jing,
                  Where can I get some natto beans to try ? Are they sold in Singapore ?
                  Hey, I think so. For a start you may check out the supermarket at isetan scotts.

Comment

i love natto sushi...the taste is different and it got the stickyness

my bf doesnt dare to eat..haha

sidetrack, isetan really has a good selection of sushi...some are really premium kind!!

Comment

Thanks Jing, Will check out Isetan Scotts soon. Hopefully they sell in small quantities. Thanks.

Comment

no problem. I think I saw sealed packets as ingredients that you can bring home.

I love natto!

Comment

is this the one in small packet sealed up? saw and eaten it when i was at hokkaido. one spoonful into mouth, then next moment out of my mouth. cant stand the smell. and yea heard that its very good for body but i simply cant stand the taste.

Comment

Working...
                          X