Tung Lok Group of Restaurants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tung Lok Group of Restaurants

I'm going to lao beijing at novena square for dinner this sunday. any good dishes to rec? how's the food & service??? appreciate any advise or comments

Lots! Most of the dishes are quite good, really. I've eaten there at least 3 times. There's one mutton soup dish (IIRC) that wasn't good. The chestnut cake dessert wasn't good either. They always recommend the popiah but I think it's ok only. If you have 3 or more persons dining, it's fun though.

Comment

thanks for yr reply. we hv 5 pax. they serve all beijing food or??? I asked the waiter for rec and he said jiao zi, guo tie, xiao long bao, san bei chicken, jade tofu and beijing duck. what specific dishes do u rec??? all of us nvr eat any beijing food b4 so we r quite blurred.

Comment

I'm really no authority on authentic Beijing cuisine. The dishes sound Shanghainese! Ha ha! But it seems Jiao Zi is a staple in China. The San Bei Chicken sounds familiar, I think we tried that. THe Peking Duck is Beijing's most famous dish, yes.

Comment

the names sound nice, maybe just order some to try out. will definitely order the dumplings, jade tofu and san bei chicken. is it expensive?

Comment

IIRC, the prices are similar to those charged in mid-end restaurants. A meal for 3 usually came to under 100 or so. About similar to Teahouse which also comes under Tung Lok Group.

Comment

Generally the food there is quite oily, but they are famous for their Guo Tie (potstickers), Cong You Bing (Onion pancakes), Chairman Mao's long-bean dish (can't rem exactly think it's called Si Ji Dou), Xiao Long Bao.

Comment

I went for this ala-carte buffet thing @ Lao Beijing, IMHO, it wasn't all that fantastic. The quality was not bad, but the variety extremely limited. Way too many similar tasting dumplings! :huh:

Comment

yes, they have it on every sat pm at plaza singapura.

n i totally, all the steamed n fried dumplings taste almost similar but the xiao long bao is nice!!

n it's not ex, about $13++ per person. n i think u'll get one serving of self-wrapped popiah if u have 4 ppl n above to one table.

it's quite nice n diff place for "high tea".

n i love "xiao long baos"........... ~
                  Last edited by vixette; 15-11-2004, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Just back from the restaurant today. IMO, the food is only so-so, I much prefer the guo tie from Chinatown. The xiao long bao is good though.

Tried the drunken chicken and perserved egg on tofu- also so-so only. Like the white rice though

BTW, if you settle you bill now using UOB CC/DC, they will give you a 10% Tung Lok Group discount card that you can use next time at other TL group's restaurants. Valid till next year May.

Comment

5 of us went there for dinner on sun. svc was slow & we waited for 20 mins b4 food was served. these were:
                      - xiao long bao
                      - guo tie
                      - dumplings
                      - siew mai
                      - fried noodles
                      - peking duck
                      - fried jie lan (veg)
                      - fried tofu roll
                      - sesame paste
                      - almond paste
                      - sesame ball soup
                      - fruit platter
                      - almond with tofu

it's abt $122 or so. i like the xiao long bao and dumplings best. the rest are just so so

Comment

I love the 3-mushroom dish (san xian gu, er... 3 fresh mushroom ) and the eel with honey. The latter is very crispy, sprinkled with sesame seeds and honey-coated. Totally yummy. I would go back there again for these.

Comment

Hey Lilupig, I liked those dishes too! I'm craving for some now.. *drool*

Comment

Yea yea me too Been thinking about them ever since. Hubby went again for business lunch, without me. I sure gave him the evil eye when I heard about it

Comment

Tung Lok Group

Any gals has been to tung lok recently? any recommendations? thought of bringing my family for there for dinner. any good restaurants under the group? and what must we order? if you know the price, can please list down as well. thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X