Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All about Abalone

Abalone

The scientific name for abalone is Haliotis ruber or H. laevigata, depending on whether it has a black lip or green lip. Then again it might be H. tuberculata (from the Atlantic) or H. lamellosa (from the Mediterranean), or H. rufescens, the true abalone or red abalone, fished in southern Californian waters. The word 'abalone' is in fact the Californian Spanish name for the species known as 'sea ears'. One look at the handsome shells will tell you why. These much- sought-after molluscs with a firm texture and delicate flavour may be purchased fresh, canned or dried.

Assuming you are willing to pay the asking price for fresh abalone, two to three times the cost of premium eye fillet, you must be prepared to tackle it with scouring brush and sharp knife. The sharp knife is necessary to remove the intestines and frilly outer rim and the brush to scrub away the dark coating from the foot (white fleshy portion), which is the edible part. This part is muscle, which the abalone tenses when wrenched from its rock, so it is necessary to cut it into paper-thin slices, against the grain and then beat the slices with a mallet until tender. Next, decide whether you want your abalone short-cooked or long-cooked. The first way is literally a matter of a few seconds, the second requires many hours of gentle simmering.

Canned abalone varies in tenderness depending on the processing, Japanese brands usually being the best but also the most expensive. Slice finely and add to cooked dishes at the last moment, since it needs no further cooking. Or marinate the slices in soy sauce, mirin, a few drops of sesame oil and pinch of sugar and serve as part of a cold hors d'oeuvre. Don't waste the liquid in the can either: add it to soups for a delicious flavour.

Dried abalone needs to be soaked for 4 days, scrubbed clean and trimmed, simmered for at least 4 hours, drained, rinsed, trimmed and sliced before using. The whole thing is rather daunting and canned or fresh abalone produces better results.

Other Languages:
    Burma: baun
    China: bow yu
    Indonesia: lapar kenyang
    Japan: awabi
    Malaysia: siput
    Thailand: hoy knong thaleh

Sources from Asia Food Glossary Page

Abalone Recipe 1

Marinated Abalone

Slice the larger pieces of abalone for this and save the frills and trimmings to chop finely and add to the soup which follows.

Ingredients:
    425 g/14 oz can abalone
    2 tablespoons Japanese soy sauce
    2 tablespoons mirin
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
    1 teaspoon ginger juice (squeezed from grated fresh ginger)

Preparation:
    1. With a sharp knife cut the abalone into paper-thin slices.

2. Marinate with a mixture of 2 tablespoons each of Japanese soy sauce and mirin, 2 teaspoons each of sesame oil and ginger juice.

3. Cover and leave for 10 minutes, then serve, still in the marinade, among other cold hors d'oeuvres. For a more decorative presentation, arrange abalone slices in a fan pattern, alternately with very thin slices of cucumber.

4. Halve the circular cucumber slices if large so they are more or less the same size as the slices of abalone so the green skin and white centre provide effective contrast.
    Last edited by dolphin; 18-01-2005, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Abalone and Shiitake Soup

If you want to make a can of this expensive ingredient go further than one dish, use the liquid from the can and the trimmings of abalone for this soup. Serves 5-6.

Ingredients:
      100 g/3 1/2 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms
      1 tablespoon peanut oil
      salt and pepper to taste
      425 g/14 oz can abalone
      1 litre/2 pints de-fatted Chinese chicken stock
      1 tablespoon light soy sauce
      1 teaspoon sugar
      1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
      3 tablespoons cold water
      1 egg, lightly beaten
      1 tablespoon very finely chopped garlic chives
      1/4 teaspoon oriental sesame oil

Preparation:

1. Wipe over mushrooms and slice thinly.

2. Heat peanut oil and on gentle heat saut? mushroom slices until softened, seasoning with salt and pepper.

3. Drain abalone and add the liquid (approximately 1 cup) to the chicken stock. Finely chop trimmings of abalone.

4. Heat the stock to boiling, add soy sauce and sugar and season to taste, then stir in cornflour mixed with cold water and boil until it becomes clear and thickens slightly.

5. Pour beaten egg into the boiling soup in a thin stream, without stirring.

6. Sprinkle in garlic chives.

7. Remove from heat and stir in abalone and sesame oil. Serve at once.

Comment

Abalone, yummm.. I like eating mine just like that, right out from the can. Either with mee sua or porridge or just like that as snacks (got influenced by hb )

Comment

My hubby even joke to open a can and serve it with maggie mee (instant noodles).

Comment

For the canned ones, I love it sliced, with lime and chop red chilli. YUMMY! If not would be the ones they serve in restaurants, with nice gravy....

Comment

I love it fresh, sliced thinly either raw or steamboat style. The best! Miss lobster sashimi too! Ah, the joys of living in Australia sometimes.

Comment

Straight from can (dump in ***-Hey), salad, speed scalded w/ hot soup (steamboat) are all yummy. Free lagi best!!!

One vy happy news : my FIL once yelled at my hubby for not buying him the Wheel Brand (he sort of rejected our Moon Brand)so running years we saved alot $$, just buy him other goodies enough..... so bad of me. more $$ for female nonsense, is it good news??

Comment

Originally posted by vernis
                  Free lagi best!!!

what does this means?

Comment

The meaning is something like this .. If it's free, then it's the best!

Comment

I agree that there is nothing like the fresh stuff! The ones in tins pale in comparison. Anyway, here are some recipes I found for dried abalone, after we bought some in Hong Kong. We haven't even tried them yet, and Mum's already getting greedy at the thought of our trip to Melbourne next month!

ABALONE CHICKEN AND FISH MAW SOUP
                      Recipe by Amy Beh

Cuisine: Chinese
                      Type of Dish: Soups
                      Cooking Method: Boil
                      Meal Types: ? Dinner ? Lunch

Ingredients
                      # 400g whole kampung chicken, cut into half
                      # 6 pieces dried (mini) abalone
                      # 20g dried fish maw
                      # 1 litre hot water
                      # 1 tsp salt or to taste

Method
                      Soak the dried abalone in enough water to cover for two hours. Wash away any sand or grit. Soak again in water and leave in the refrigerator, preferably for two days to plump up.

Put soaked abalone in one litre water. Bring to a low boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off the flame and cover the pot. Set aside overnight. Discard water and remove the prepared abalone for use.

Soak fish maw for an hour. Drain then put fish maw, one stalk spring onion, a slice of ginger and half a litre of water to a boil. Cook for five to 10 minutes. Drain, remove fish maw and cut into bite-size pieces.

Put chicken and prepared abalone pieces in a double boiler. Pour in hot water, cover and double boil over low heat for three hours.

Add the fish maw and continue to double boil for a further 40-45 minutes. Add salt to taste and serve hot.

(You can complement the cooked ingredients with a small plate of light soy sauce as a dipping sauce.)

Mini 'Fatt Thieu Cheong'
                      Ingredients:

* 25g fish maw (dried fish bladder or 'yee piew' in Cantonese)
                      * 250g sea cucumber ? cut into 5cm pieces
                      * 4 pieces dried scallops
                      * 2 pieces dried abalone or canned abalone
                      * 100g tendons (any type) ? scalded
                      * 3 pairs chicken feet ? trim off the claws, clean well and scald
                      * 1 village chicken (approx. 1kg) ? cut into 3 big pieces and scald
                      * 2 litres water
                      * 50g Nestle Chef Master stock or any available chicken stock

Herbs

* 50g 'wai sun'
                      * 4 pieces 'pak kei'
                      * 4 pieces 'tong sum'
                      * 10g 'kei chee'
                      * 1 small bundle 'tong chong choe'
                      * 75g fresh ginseng ? wash and cut into slices
                      * 6 red dates ? remove seeds
                      * 1/2 tsp salt or to taste

Method:
                      BRING water to a boil. Add chicken pieces, chicken feet and tendons. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add in herbs and simmer for 15 minutes.

Transfer ingredients to a double-boiling pot and double boil. Add in abalone, scallops and sea cucumber and double boil for 1 hour. Add fish maw and continue to double boil for 30 minutes. Add stock and salt to taste. Allow to simmer over medium low heat for 15 minutes. Serve hot.

Note: This dish can be done in a pressure cooker.

Above recipes from http://www.kuali.com/ The second one is the one commonly known as "Buddha Jumps Over The Wall" in English.

Comment

Originally posted by dolphin
                        My hubby even joke to open a can and serve it with maggie mee (instant noodles).
                        We love to eat instant noodles with abalone too! just slice and dump into instant noodles, then serve!

Comment

Saresha! Thanks for sharing yr receipe. My SILs made last year & failed badly, w/ yr receipe, i will volunteer to wear my mouldy apron & whip thsi dish.
                          but will give chicken feet amiss.....

Mango!!! u are so Celest Chong, when her ad appears on the square box, i badly. such a luxury to eat abalone w/ instant mee. u are so

Cheap is Good
                          Free lagi Best

Comment

Originally posted by dolphin
                            Really?? That's what my mil always does! coz she doesn't know how else to eat them besides eating them with maggie mee or just plain like that

Comment

Originally posted by vernis

Mango!!! u are so Celest Chong, when her ad appears on the square box, i badly. such a luxury to eat abalone w/ instant mee. u are so

Cheap is Good
                              Free lagi Best
                              vernis, u can always try for yourself, eat it with instant noodle..

Comment

Working...
                              X