Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brown Rice - Good Alternative to oatmeal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Rice - Good Alternative to oatmeal?

Hi all,

Have you tried eating brown rice in replacement of the usual white rice? Heard that brown rice is also a form of wholegrain which is good for health & high in fiber. Eating a small portion of it during lunch, would also make you feel full. Therefore reducing the urge to snacking unhealthy food during tea-break.

Thought it might be a good alternative for girls who have been taking oats for health & diet reasons.

So far, the only food store i know of, that serves brown rice is at Amoy Hawker Center, 2nd level.

We usually have brown rice mixed with white at home for dinner, mainly for health reasons. It's not common to find it on restaurant menus unless it's a vegetarian or health food place.

angie

Comment

Brown rice is I'd eat it everyday except some in my family don't fancy it (the same people who don't like wholemeal bread!) It's good as plain porridge (ie. congee) too.

Comment

I brown rice too! I think it beats plain white rice and it adds an extra crunch too because of the husk.

My mom usually mixes it with normal plain rice so that it would be easier to eat as brown rice is pretty tough and it can be a little hard to adjust to after eating plain white rice for so long.

Comment

That's what my ma does, Stilafaux. Takes some getting used to, for me! Ha ha! She mixes them in porridges too. I still like my porridge plain!

Comment

i mix it with white rice and actually brown rice takes up a big component

SO and sis first complained but now they are enjoying it now, heee gives that special texture and "fuller" feel!

Comment

Originally posted by Glossie
              That's what my ma does, Stilafaux. Takes some getting used to, for me! Ha ha! She mixes them in porridges too. I still like my porridge plain!

yeah definitely. My mom previously resisted the idea of mixing brown rice and white rice but after much coaxing, she likes it a lot now!She doesn't feel that bloated after eating the mix

I like my porridge plain when I eat it with marmite or if its mixed with meats.

Comment

my family eats brown rice whenever my mum cooks which isn't too often. she'll add chickpeas and peanuts to add more texture and flavour. sure beats plain white rice which i never liked.

Comment

Its interesting to note that many of you love brown rice. I don't particularly like it but as my inlaws have health problems, we have switched to mixing brown rice with white rice for our meals. Only when my inlaws are out of town, white rice appear on our table and we will all gobble it down like some long lost friend! I think the taste is ok, but i definitely prefer white rice!

Read in Her World magazine I think, which mention replacing white rice with brown rice for weight loss!

Comment

The brown rice has a chewy texture... requires a longer cooking time than the white rice. My mum also started off mixing white rice with brown..but i personally enjoy eating just the brown

Ladies, if you know of any interesting recipe on cooking brown rice, you may wanna share with us.

Comment

My mum usually soaks the brown rice for a couple of hours then cooks it together with the white. Easier than cooking both separately and mixing after they're done.

angie

Comment

2nd Angie. My mom does that as well to soften the husk of the brown rice so it cooks easily when mixed with white rice.

Comment

As long as I'm bringing lunchbox to office, I'll cook brown rice and I . I just treat it as another form of rice and I use rice cooker to get them done. It doesn't take longer time I assume. Due to pre-rice-cooker days, I just use microwave to get them cooked

I think you can pair brown rice with any dishes, as in how u pair your white rice with.

Comment

Originally posted by loveydovey
                            Due to pre-rice-cooker days, I just use microwave to get them cooked
                            My ma still uses microwave to cook rice. Maybe it takes about 5-10 minutes lesser to cook?

I think besides the brown rice, my ma also throws in a few other types of rice. She calls it 'wu (5) gu (oat?)' rice. I should make a trip to the supermarket soon to educate myself a bit

Comment

yes i like to mix brown rice into my white. i still cannot take the taste of pure brown rice. plus if it's all brown, hubby won't eat.

i am finishing the small pack of brown rice from Fancl. i won't buy it again, somehow this round type grain does not absorb water easily or something because it comes out rather slimy and soggy. i like my rice hard. i can't use less water because then there's not enough water to cook. i had better luck with other brands!

Comment

Working...
                              X