Bak Kut Teh (Pork Ribs Soup)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bak Kut Teh (Pork Ribs Soup)

Bak Kut Teh | Rou Gu Cha | Pork Ribs Soup | Spicy Sparerib Consomme!!!

1. Herbal - dark soup based (Hokkien-style)
    2. Peppery - clear soup based (Teochew-style)

I noticed Singapore hawkers served mainly Teochew-style BKT (clear) and Johor serves more Hokkien-style (dark-herbal). As for Klang (Malaysia, Klang Valley) BKT, I don't know how to appreciate yet, but I know the queue and wait can go up to 2hours.

Where do you have your bowl of Bak Kut Teh?

1. Founder Rou Gu Cha @ Thomson/Balestier (Teochew + Hot peppery)
    2. Next to Eunos MRT in a coffeeshop (Clear)
    3. Near Queensway Shopping Centre (Dark)
    4. Jurong East
    5. Geylang Lo.r 13
    6. Tiong Bahru Market
    7. Killiney Kopitiam - Chinatown @ 271 New Bridge Road
    8. Yong Bak Kut Teh @ Mohd Sultan Rd
    I like the one near Mohamed Sultan. And the best part is they stay open till late for the party goers!

I the herb based BKT in JB. Used to go to the 'Da Ma Ba Sha' with ex! Yummy

Went to the one at balestier. IMHO, it's not so good. The soup taste a bit washed out...... I like my soup strong!

Nic, must share share Colleagues and I were just talking about piggy out in JB one of these days

Erm, one of the reasons why I don't like the Founder is cos my friend ordered the innards and I have not ate the innards that way before, so I was a little shocked when the soup arrived looking abit bloodied.........

Comment

#2 is good! tons of pepper we used to go to havelock road (i'm not too sure where or how to get there though ) & it was pretty good too.

erm, am i the only one here that just drinks the soup? i don't eat the pork ribs at all

Comment

I am the real fussy one here. Tried most places mentioned. Besides Rangoon Road's (not my fav), i only go to AMK Ave 10 market for clear soup.

Comment

my colleagues also flock to JB for BKT. actually i have no guts to take pork stuff (except dimsum from hotels). Nicole, u tempt me ah!!! i am also a soup bucket. do they give free-flow??

Comment

Thankie!

Comment

I love Bak Kut Teh!! But i always order the sliced meat ones because im too lazy to bite off the meat by myself!

Used to go to Founder's, but have since switched to 333 Bak Kut Teh, i think it's just a mere 50-100m away from Founder's. Not too bad, and it's cheaper too!

Comment

Am a meat lover, so i love Bak Kut Teh!! Also love dipping my You Tiao (deep-fried fritters) in the soup until they are soggy!

Used to frequent the one at Cantonment Road, the building have since made way for the new HDB flats, not too sure where they shifted to. Anyone has a clue?

Don't fancy the one at Havelock, horribly expensive, and nothing to rave about.

There are so many shops at Balestier, which exactly is The One? :huh:

Comment

Happybean, pls advise the exact location.. THanks!

Comment

I love JB bak ku teh....the black herby soup type. I am a regular at this stall very near The Store in JB (not sure if there is more than 1 outlet for The Store in JB). They serve bak ku teh with pig livers, scallops, golden mushrooms etc (all these at additional costs).

Comment

Originally posted by happybean
                      ok, as best as i can remember:

it's on Joo Chiat Road, between Joo Chiat CC and the junction of Joo Chiat rd and east coast road.
                      As you proceed from that junction, it's on your right and there's a little parking area just outside the shop. The whole shop unit sells bkt as it's signature dish, so it's quite hard to miss. Next to the bkt shop is a nightspot.

HTHS
                      i think i know which shop. it is vy near awfully chocolate. i went once to foodhunt there but was put off by the tables of KTV gals & their customers

i try go earlier, i think it helps.

Comment

pork rib soup??/

sorry i am not from here , spain actually, why is pork rib soup good to eat? it sound rather plain and not tasty at all.

Comment

Re: pork rib soup??/

Originally posted by Jpeg
                          sorry i am not from here , spain actually, why is pork rib soup good to eat? it sound rather plain and not tasty at all.
                          Hi

It will appeal to eaters who likes peppery as well as mild herbal soup IMO.

Basically, the white soup is on peppery side, the darker soup is slightly laden w/ herb taste. Garlic is a must for both. Most home folks boil their soup using pre-packed BKT premix to boil their soup. Each stall has their so-called secret formula, some were passed on down by generations above. Side dishes like braised peanuts, salted vegetables, mui-chye add taste to the whole BKT experience. hee....

correct me if i am wrong as i am really no expert in BKT.
                          Last edited by vernis; 26-01-2005, 11:35 AM.

Comment

happybean, is it 24 hours, but closed on mondays? & there used to be a POSB next door? we go there quite often too

there's another further up the road, nearer to the bus stop & 7-11. the soup's more peppery.

i love eating it with salted vegetables

Comment

Re: Re: pork rib soup??/

now that sounds like one delicious soup. thanks for the explanation!

Originally posted by vernis
                              Hi

It will appeal to eaters who likes peppery as well as mild herbal soup IMO.

Basically, the white soup is on peppery side, the darker soup is slightly laden w/ herb taste. Garlic is a must for both. Most home folks boil their soup using pre-packed BKT premix to boil their soup. Each stall has their so-called secret formula, some were passed on down by generations above. Side dishes like braised peanuts, salted vegetables, mui-chye add taste to the whole BKT experience. hee....

correct me if i am wrong as i am really no expert in BKT.

Comment

Working...
                              X