Porridge and Congee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porridge and Congee

Another overated food outlet would be Chang Cheng Porridge @ Chinatown. Their porridge's standard has dropped drastically over the years, how I missed those smooth and 'silky' porridge they used to serve a couple of years back.

Many thanks, Cira!

I do wonder about the difference between porridge and congee. Chang Cheng does which? I don't eat there often enough to comment on the falling standards. There definitely are stalls that do better porridges.

Comment

Originally posted by Glossie
      Many thanks, Cira!

I do wonder about the difference between porridge and congee. Chang Cheng does which? I don't eat there often enough to comment on the falling standards. There definitely are stalls that do better porridges.

No problemo at all. Their sushi is really value for money!

Actually Chang Cheng does congee. Those served with fried dough sticks. But I am used to calling the place, Change Cheng porridge.

Yea, a good stall that sells porridge is the one at maxwell food center, nice and smooth, you cant even taste the rice grain.

Comment

Ah, Cira, it's the one that starts and ends early? (but there're at least 3 other stalls selling congee) People would queue and queue for their porridge and yusheng. They're very generous with condiments, I must say.

Comment

Ah, Cira, it's the one that starts and ends early? (but there're at least 3 other stalls selling congee) People would queue and queue for their porridge and yusheng. They're very generous with condiments, I must say.
          I can't rem the name of the stall.. but I do rem the long queues though!

Yea, absolutely kickass congee!+

Comment

Maxwell's Ho Kee Congee?? near the main road entrance one? they occupying 3 units right? i go there for supper at times.

Suki is the one who is running Sakura Int'l buffet. Are they related to K-Box? They are always next to some K-Box outlets.

Comment

Not that one, Vernis. It's not bad, though. The one we talked doesn't ever stay open till after 3pm. It's in the middle row (of three in the whole food centre) and almost right in the centre of it all. I think it's a stall or two away from a claypot rice stall that's supposed to be popular as well.

Comment

Yes, Nicole! Thanks! I like how the black and white sesame seeds complement the raw fish It'd be perfect if they serve chilli padi instead.

Comment

Speaking of the difference between porridge and congee, I think only Singapore calls it porridge? In other countries porridge typically refers to oatmeal (eg. Quaker oats).

Comment

i thought porridge refers to the thick lumpy type with added ingredients in it. congee is the smooth creamy cantonese style. and there's also 'muay' which is teochew, basically a watery rice gruel.

Comment

Not that one, Vernis. It's not bad, though. The one we talked doesn't ever stay open till after 3pm. It's in the middle row (of three in the whole food centre) and almost right in the centre of it all. I think it's a stall or two away from a claypot rice stall that's supposed to be popular as well.
                      sounds so yummy but timing is not right for me.... if Sat is open, at least i stand a chance to taste the yummy congee!!!

actually now i stopped eating congee for awhile after i tried the pork congee at ChompChomp. Generous amt of ingredients (diff parts of pig, me skip the innards). Basically 40% ingredients, 60% congee i find. i quite anti-pork but this is porkfully good when i am pork-sick.

Bedok North (Fengshan Mkt, Blk 85)'s famous congee stall's standard also dropped tremenously, not worth the wait anymore. :bore: don't waste time...

Comment

to make nice and smooth congee, add a bit of milk

Comment

natnatviv, u mean fresh milk? add a bit into the congee? a teaspoon consider sufficient?

Comment

just a bit
                            i cant measure for nuts!

Comment

Add soya bean milk, if you're like me who loves cantonese congee.

Comment

Working...
                              X