Kueh - Chinese/Nonya/Malay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kueh - Chinese/Nonya/Malay

hrmm... was wondering if anyone has the recipe for kueh lapis?
    i know it involves a lot of work and i've actually tried making one before but i lost the recipe! ugh! :Doh:
    Last edited by saphiration; 30-01-2005, 07:48 AM.

Kueh lapis is fattening but its so nice... and its pretty fun to peel off layer by layer and pop it into your mouth. haha its sold really expensive in confectionaries though. but its all for the time and effort i guess.

my favourite kueh is Kueh Salat too! and then i like some others, like

Kueh Ambon & Kueh Pukis

one of them's missing though.
    anyone knows what's the brown sticky kueh that smells of coconut and comes in a small plastic wrapper?

Comment

Ho Ho Ho, those pics are making me sooooooo hungry!

My mom can make kick-ass corn kueh. Speaking of which she hast made them for a long time.

My aunt can make darn good kueh lapis, cant wait for CNY to sample her goodies!

Comment

Originally posted by saphiration
        kueh lapis is fattening but its so nice... and its pretty fun to peel off layer by layer and pop it into your mouth. haha its sold really expensive in confectionaries though. but its all for the time and effort i guess.
        Its about one of the most tiring cakes to make in the world! Mum and dad spend 3 hours making it nonstop, and she won't share the recipe with even her good friends. She says secret.

But they taste so good, I agree! But not really overpriced, its quite an expensive cake to make, think u need 30 eggs to make one square cake.. and 2 cans of churned butter, hard to find in KL now!

Comment

Sweet Corn Kueh Recipe (require no baking!)

Sweet Corn Kueh Recipe<

Ingredients
          Custard Powder, 1 bowl
          Coconut Milk, 200ml (or 1 bowl)
          Water, 3 bowls
          Sweet Corn (Paste/Creamy), 1 can (or 418gm, according to the tin)
          Sugar, 1 bowl
          Pandan Leaf, 3 pieces (optional)
          Baking tin, at least 8in dia by 2 in height. Cleaned and set aside.

<i>Bowl size, coconut milk, custard powder and sweet corn brands I used, all shown in photos. If you want me to gauge one bowl size in ml, it's slight less than 200ml. What I like about using bowl size to measure is everything will be under proportion. Of coz not gigantic bowl!</i>

<u>Procedures</u>:
          1. Pour one bowl of water into a big bowl, then slowly stir in all the custard powder. Set aside for use later.
          2. Pour the remaining 2 bowls of water into a pot (at least 9in dia and 4in height) and bring it to boil. Usually, I'll use the biggest stove, medium fire. If you're using pandan leaves, tied them into a knot and throw it in now.
          3. When it boiled, gradually pour in the sugar and stir til it dissolve.
          4. Then slowly pour in the sweet corn, continue stirring. Make sure everything is mixed well together.
          5. Remove the pandan leaves now.
          6. Slowly pour the coconut milk in, keep stirring til everything mixed well. Then bring it to boil.
          7. Once you see significant bubbles at the side of the pot and a little in the middle. You can off the fire and quickly pour in the custard powder+water (step 1). <b>Keep stirring</b>. It'll thicken once you pour in the mixture, so you must be quick. Just remember to keep stirring. You can stop once everything turn thick and yellow.
          8. Pour into the cleaned tin, smooth out the top and leave it to cool which takes around an hour. After it's cool (might still slightly warm to hand), put into the fridge at least 3-4 hours and it's ready to serve! Best finish within 2 days.
          Last edited by candeecake; 14-02-2005, 06:00 AM.

Comment

For the natural coconut milk, my mum said brand KARA is better than HARMUNI.

I'll be making more this coming week IMO, cut the sugar down to 3/4 bowl. I think 1 bowl is quite sweet, the rest who tried it said it's just nice though.

Comment

Yup, that's the one! But the logo now is blue instead of green.

I haven't tried grind coconut. I worry about its thickness and texture, hee.. I don't quite remember how it looks like. It has to be a creamy texture else the whole mixture will be runny coz the increase of liquid; or possible the kueh less smooth due to the coconut fiber (Will there be any?). Unless you take a chance by decreasing the water to 2.5 bowls and filter out the fiber (if any).

Custard powder is the one that thickens everything. Green Bean Flour maybe just for increasing its flavor?

Fresh corn, I haven't tried it. But I think mixing more corns into the mixture is great too! So I get more corns per piece. *yummy* Just make sure you cook the corns before everything else.

Yay! An improved recipe! Do report back on the outcome!

Comment

Agar Agar (Ang Ku Kueh)

I've tried this agar agar in shape of ang ku kueh in Malaysia and fell in love with it! Anyone knows where I can get this in Singapore?
                Attached Files

Comment

since this thread is about kueh, i guess it's safe to ask.
                  where do you think can get the best soon kueh around?

Comment

Best Ondeh Ondeh at where~?
                    sudden crave for it after the ch8 9pm show! =)))

Comment

i've never liked ondeh ondeh because i hate those coconut flakes and teh filling. but the channel 8 show really makes me want to eat one. just for the oozing feeling. =)

Comment

Originally posted by hachi
                        i've never liked ondeh ondeh because i hate those coconut flakes and teh filling. but the channel 8 show really makes me want to eat one. just for the oozing feeling. =)
                        i love ondeh ondeh! =DD im just the opp. of u. i bought 3for$1 at the semb mrt, opp. macdonalds. everytime there's this auntie who sells ondeh ondeh when it strikes 12noon. it finishes real fast. -) nicee!

Comment

hachi
                          i like esther's pot at bedok market place at simpang bedok!

its so hard to find good ondeh-ondeh..
                          most tend to have skins which are too thick and tough and the balls does not "burst" when u bite them..
                          even the "famous" one at maxwell is disappointing..too much flour..

Comment

Originally posted by whitequeeniie
                            Best Ondeh Ondeh at where~?
                            sudden crave for it after the ch8 9pm show! =)))
                            maybe u wana check this out:
                            http://www.stomp.com.sg/stfoodiesclu.../08/index.html

Comment

i always like the kueh ambon.. yummy

Comment

Working...
                              X