Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food for the great outdoor!

Hi gals!

Any suggestions as to what to pack for a outdoor picnic ?
    Something that would suits sitting down and watching a performance in the open air - ala the Movie/Ballet under the stars kind.

I'm trying to think of finger foods and stir away from the usual bread and chips.

How about potato salad? I do that all the time when I have pinic but I am not too sure if it suits you though. Sushi will do good as well. HTHs!

Comment

what about some pies, cakes, curry puffs, or you can simply use a satay stick and chain some food + fruit together ie hot dogs, cumumber, apples and whatever you like. enjoy your dinner yah!!

Comment

some items i've made/made for me for a picnic are:
        - potato salad
        - cheese meatballs
        - french toast (not very advisable if you don't like it soggy!)
        - fruits
        - brownies
        - pancakes
        - pastries

i guess it's always best to prepare "cold" food instead of those that are fried or tastes better when warm!

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the many suggestions gals!

I am thinking of potato salad too, but i had always eaten this dish chilled. So am wondering if it would taste just as nice at room temperature? :eh:

And oh.. i am thking of cooking up a picnic basketful of and .... so i guess cakes and pies are out... way out of my league l.a.h - too complicated.

ETA: Roo, may i ask how do u make cheese meat balls? Cheese and Meat both sound right up my alley. :wow:

Comment

ponine,

I guess the best way to know if it's okay to eat it unchilled will be to do a trial run first? I am a huge potato salad fan, so it's pretty much doesn't make a difference to me. I think it's not too bad honestly.

Comment

i think chips with some sauce will be real good and yummy..haha..but it's boring :eh i love chips

filee mentioned sushi which i thought it's a good idea too!

Comment

champagne. with strawberries dipped in chocolate

Comment

potato salad, pasta and brownies

Comment

fishballs
                    sausages
                    sanwiches
                    crackers with toppings like shrimp, cheese,tuna etc
                    n all the junk food like nachos, chips etc.

take a walk at the supermarket n u'll be surprised at how many items u can find!

Comment

just be care if you're using sauces (mayo, etc) that you eat the food not too long after preparation in case of spoilage in SG heat.

maybe prepare 1 basket of food to be eaten at room temp and 1 chiller for cold foods

what i did before was this....
                      DIY club sandwiches - pre-sliced bread loaf, sliced veggies (cucumber, tomato, lettuce, onion packed into plastic container), sliced meats (ham, salami, tuna cans... oh and indi-wrapped cheese too) and travel portions of butter. then you diy according to what ingredients you want. just don't forget the plastic knives.

one tub of fruit salad - cubed melons, orange, berries, plus canned longan/lychee (drained)

canned baby sausages and canned pineapple cubes skewered on satay stick

frozen poundcake slices + choc syrup
                      (they would have defrosted by the time you're ready to eat, but still chilled)

Comment

fruit salad
                        potato salad
                        chips
                        sara lee cake
                        sandwiches

Comment

Hi, i am reviving this thread. I am thinking of going picnic with my SO. May I know where to buy a picnic basket? Anyone can help. TIA

Comment

Working...
                          X