WorkOut - Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WorkOut - Help!

first, i'm a dork - i've never been to a *real* gym; second, i haven't really exercised since my last physical fitness test in JC 8O

so now i just received my lady's card and i can go to the california fitness centre 2x a month...problem is, i dont' know what to do, what to bring, how to dress, and how it all works in a gym!!!! do i just go with my stuff and station myself at any machine???

i mean, what???? i've *zero* concept

please help this hapless gym loser

thanks!
    Last edited by nicole; 09-06-2003, 01:16 PM.

I only went to California Fitness once and that's it. Never want to step into the gym again. I realise I am not a gym person. Was yawning barely one hour into my exercise And the place was so packed.....that's it...I am going back to my relaxing spa.....heee :D

By the way, I think our dear 'Jay' should be the one advising u on gym stuff. She is our expert in this.

Comment

Not too sure abt CFG but I think in general, it's a little overwhelming stepping into a gym for the first time - esp one as large-scale as CF. You'd probably need basic gym wear, proper shoes, and a change of clothes + toiletries? As for how to use the equipment, perhaps you could approach the staff to give you a short tour? hth!

Comment

I agree with Debby. You might like to bring a friend with you so it's less intimidating. They've always got good classes running like aerobics, yoga, dance & spinning so be sure to check the time tables posted outside each room. Good luck & have fun!

Comment

Hiyee blue,

Why not just give it a try. Exercise is a way of life. If you know very well that you are not the kind who enjoys a good workout at the gym to de-stress, then perhaps the place is not for you. Some people get put off by the gym environment, others crave it as a social playground. The thing with CFC is all the hype about it being "hip", "rich" and "beautiful". I say heck what the public thinks of it and make use of that UOB Ladies privilege pass. Just go down a few times and see if you like the place or not.

Going with a friend does help for first-timers. But I've seen some who just enter on their own and crash their way through their workout, asking the trainers how to work a machine and joining any aerobics class. I suggest, don't just visit CFC once and decide too soon whether you like the place or not. It's better to totally explore the place before you decide.

CFC provides free use of lockers, fresh clean towels, cotton swaps and pads and hairdryers... also shower foam, shampoo and conditioner are available in every shower cubicle. You'll need to bring a key padlock for your locker.

For workout wear, a comfy T-shirt and a pair of shorts would do. People there usually wear sports bras, tights, shorts, t-shirts, slacks, bermudas... anything they feel good perspiring in. The thing is to be comfortable.

Don't let anything make you feel overly conscious of yourself and make you feel uncomfortable. A good friend of mine who utterly hates perspiring and the whole gym culture joined the very first time I brought her down. I didn't even try encouraging her to join, afraid that she'll be put off and grow too conscious of herself. She usually removes her contact lenses when she works out so that she won't be bothered by the people around. Smart move, I say! Without knowing who may be looking at her, she doesn't risk being overly conscious of herself and is able to go about her workout in peace.

:wink: All in all, just give CFC a try and see how later.

Comment

Not a gym girl myself - I'm 100% pilates and yoga girl! :D My new year's resolution - to get into pilates seriously and hopefully get through an instructor's course in about 2 years' time. Right now I want to perfect my matwork and start on the machines.

Comment

Originally posted by "bluebubble"

i've done one pilates session and tried yoga...kinda bored me :wink: but would like to do it regularly too coz it is relaxing~~
              Ehh? You haven't tried ashtanga yoga then. You wont even have time to breathe, ho ho ho! It's a reaaally intense workout, you jump all over the place and people sweat buckets. 8O

Comment

Originally posted by "SuNSet"

Oh, good to hear that Pan! Are you eventually gonna do some freelancing?? That'll pay very well!
                I sure hope to! :D I hope in a few years' time I can afford to buy my own machine and install it in my special yoga / pilates room. I love being on the machine, it feels like you're flying or dancing in air.

Freelancing is definitely an appealing option....lotsa tai tais out there who would pay for this, *LOL*. Anyway, it will give me something to look forward to when my bond is up. Also debating whether to run away to India to study ashtanga yoga. No, I'm serious!!

Comment

Originally posted by "pandora76"

Originally posted by SuNSet
                  Oh, good to hear that Pan! Are you eventually gonna do some freelancing?? That'll pay very well!
                  I sure hope to! :D I hope in a few years' time I can afford to buy my own machine and install it in my special yoga / pilates room. I love being on the machine, it feels like you're flying or dancing in air.

Freelancing is definitely an appealing option....lotsa tai tais out there who would pay for this, *LOL*. Anyway, it will give me something to look forward to when my bond is up. Also debating whether to run away to India to study ashtanga yoga. No, I'm serious!!
                  I say go for it!! Once your bond's up, take a break and go learn ashtanga yoga in India. Oh man, thinking about your prospects makes me envious!

Comment

Originally posted by "SuNSet"

Originally posted by pandora76
                    Originally posted by SuNSet

I say go for it!! Once your bond's up, take a break and go learn ashtanga yoga in India. Oh man, thinking about your prospects makes me envious!
                    Wow, Pan, that sounds cool! But I must ask another stupid question ... ... what is a bond?

Comment

Hey Sunset, your puppy dog is too cute!

Comment

Wanda - my bond? Shackles and chains!

Well, I took a scholarship to study overseas, so now I'm bonded to the institution that sponsored me for 8 years of my life. I'm doing my time now...

Comment

Originally posted by "pandora76"

Wanda - my bond? Shackles and chains!

Well, I took a scholarship to study overseas, so now I'm bonded to the institution that sponsored me for 8 years of my life. I'm doing my time now...
                          LOL! Gotcha! :D

Comment

Originally posted by "ppie"

Hey Sunset, your puppy dog is too cute!
                            Thanks. Heard you've got lovely doggie yourself. Anyway to post their pics here? I would love to see 'em.

Comment

Best gym time...

Blue, have you gone to the gym yet?

Anyway, just to let you know the best time to visit is in the mornings during the weekdays. Next best time would be after the lunch hour (2pm).

Mornings are the best time to work out. If you do cardio exercises on an empty stomach in the mornings, it'll rev your metabolism and burn fats. To further achieve this, drink black coffee (no sugar n milk). Caffeine, not only helps increase ones metabolic rate, it also helps in the breaking down of fat cells.

Comment

Working...
                              X