Health Alert - SARS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Alert - SARS

THE Health Ministry has advised people to avoid travelling to Hongkong, Hanoi and Guangdong 'unless absolutely necessary' because of mystery cases of pneumonia that have left six dead and hundreds more ill there.

More reports here .

Be careful everyone - stay healthy!
    Last edited by stellatan; 01-01-2004, 09:54 AM.

Originally posted by atypical
    Wonder if I am going to be susceptable since I work at the airport. Is there anything I can do to boost my immunity ?
    yes! if you believe in chinese herbs, and have the time, make herbal soup for yourself weekly, it really helps alot. Or if you're not one who'll spend a day brewing chinese herbal concoctions, take 1000mg of Vit c and garlic pills(or better still, eat a clove of raw garlic daily!) daily. Its really helps to boost your immune system.

Comment

Vitamin C, echinacea.

Don't worry, from the reports I don't think it's incurable...if your immune system is strong you should be able to fight it. And SEEK EARLY TREATMENT!

Comment

I just came back from Frankfurt!! yikes and now there is a singaporean doc and his mum-in-law there who have the atypical pneumonia there! And his wife is held in quarantine.

Comment

Some facts on SARS (that's what the atypical flu is called) that you should know, including precautions to take...here

Comment

flu vaccine will not help pneumonia coz it's not flu

view here

Comment

Important!! go hospital is risky now

Just received this email from my friend:

Subject: A mesg from a doctor working at Prince of Wales Hospital

Dear Friends,

You might have heard that our unit has an outbreak of unknown pneumonia. More and more of our colleagues are getting ill. Some of those admitted to the hospital are getting worse.

Things are far worse that the official press release. They should close the hospital rather than carrying out suboptimal services and making the remaining staff fall sick as well. EK Yeoh, William Ho and Fong Hong should come down!!

If you have relatives need to go to the hospital, don't go to Prince of Wales / Kwong Wah or QEH for their own safety. We are in high risk.

Take care and will let you know the progress.

:dizzy: Just read from the news that one of the ERs will be closed down as all staff have caught the virus. It's pretty scary. I myself has got sore throat today, which is one of the symptoms of the virus :puke: It's really worrying!

Comment

Hi kazablanca,

Oh, that sucks! :| (The info about how the hospital is handling the virus outbreak.)

As for your sore throat don't worry too much first, it may just be the common flu, not necessarily the virus. Take care of yourself and just be vigilant...if it gets worse, seek medical help quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by pandora76
                  Hi kazablanca,

Oh, that sucks! :| (The info about how the hospital is handling the virus outbreak.)

As for your sore throat don't worry too much first, it may just be the common flu, not necessarily the virus. Take care of yourself and just be vigilant...if it gets worse, seek medical help quickly.
                  Thanks dearie, but we are all panicking here. Whenever someone coughs or sneezes, the others will stay away from her/him! My boss even asked me to go home immediately when I told him that I've got a sore throat hee hee !

Comment

Hmmm, just watched CNN and I see a lot of people going around wearing surgical masks. Is the situation really that bad?

Apparently, airlines are not allowing passengers with flu-like symptoms to board aircrafts.

Anyway, do take take ya, Karen and keep us updated on your situation?

Comment

no matter what, at the 1st signs of high fever, cough and respiratory difficulties, go to the doctor. no need for panic if you don't have all the symptoms or most of the. early detection is the key to a cure, it IS curable so be vigilant

i'm feeling under the weather myself - scorching hot sun outdoors, freezing cold air indoors for hours on end sometimes, the office aircon system is making me feel like i'm gonna catch a cold too (u know that funny feeling in your throat but you don't and can't sneeze or cough to get it away?), think i'm gonna ask them to go clean it soon

Comment

Girls, please be safe! I second what bluebubble said ... better to be safe. If you feel as if you are getting symptoms, go to the doctor.

Kaza, please take care of yourself! Hope you feel better soon!

Comment

Thanks for all your wishes! Guess I have caught a flu yesterday when the temperature dropped suddenly. :dizzy:

Just read the newspaper today, a nurse called a radio show and cried cos there are not enough masks for the nurses! :pissed:

For so many days, I have only seen one old man wearing the mask. I wanna have sauna at the gym but finally drop the idea as it might not be so safe to be in a sauna with other 'strangers'

Comment

Originally posted by kazablanca
                            Thanks for all your wishes! Guess I have caught a flu yesterday when the temperature dropped suddenly. :dizzy:

Just read the newspaper today, a nurse called a radio show and cried cos there are not enough masks for the nurses! :pissed:

For so many days, I have only seen one old man wearing the mask. I wanna have sauna at the gym but finally drop the idea as it might not be so safe to be in a sauna with other 'strangers'
                            I believe I read somewhere that masks are generally not effective against this virus? Unless you're talking about the full-on hazard suit that the doctors in Frankfurt are wearing while they treat the Singaporean family who were taken off the plane...

ANd yes, if I were you I'd avoid the sauna too....and all enclosed areas where I will be in proximity with a lot of people.

Take care!

Comment

Originally posted by pandora76
                              I believe I read somewhere that masks are generally not effective against this virus? Unless you're talking about the full-on hazard suit that the doctors in Frankfurt are wearing while they treat the Singaporean family who were taken off the plane...

ANd yes, if I were you I'd avoid the sauna too....and all enclosed areas where I will be in proximity with a lot of people.

Take care!

My boss just asked me to write an article on this so I have spent the entire afternoon researching on masks @[email protected] The common cloth/paper masks and surgical masks cannot prevent this virus. Only masks that meets N95 standard are effective but still only to a certain extent. So I can tell you wearing masks dont really help.

Actually I am more worry about the war than this SARS.

Comment

Working...
                              X