Wisdom tooth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisdom tooth

oh no! i feel an upper tooth emerging at the back of my left jaw - no pain or anything right now, i think it's the wisdom tooth...does that mean i have to get it (and others) removed??? can i not if it's not causing any problems?

i'm scared to death just thinking of surgery and i've never had the dentist remove any teeth for me (they all fell off on their own), nor have i had any dental procedures done on me before (except filling a cavity when i was 7)

*super jittery*

You may have to have it removed if it's going to push the rest of your teeth out of alignment, or if it's obstructed, in which case it may start decaying and cause all sorts of nasty problems.

Don't worry, it's really quite painless. You will be put under general anaesthesia and have porridge for the next 3 days. Best to let your dentist take an X-ray to see if they need to come out or not.

Comment

Re: wisdom teeth

Originally posted by "bluebubble"

oh no! i feel an upper tooth emerging at the back of my left jaw - no pain or anything right now, i think it's the wisdom tooth...does that mean i have to get it (and others) removed??? can i not if it's not causing any problems?

i'm scared to death just thinking of surgery and i've never had the dentist remove any teeth for me (they all fell off on their own), nor have i had any dental procedures done on me before (except filling a cavity when i was 7)

*super jittery*
      ask me! ask me! i'm a frequent visitor to the dentist chair. In the last 5 years, i had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed and 4 premolars to make way for braces.

it depends on how your wisdom tooth is growing. if there's space in your jaw and it grows out properly, then it's ok to leave it there. i had one that was impacted and had to be surgically removed. i.e. cut the gum and sew back *gross* The process is quite painless. It'll only start to hurt after the anaesthesia wears off.

Visited my orthodontist last week and found that my last wisdom tooth is growing in a very awkward position. It's half impacted and growing horizontally. Looks like a complicated case and he's recommending that an oral surgeon do the extraction instead. Gonna set me back by at least $600.

Pan is right, visit your dentist first to see how it is growing out.

Comment

i don't have a dentist, haven't seen one in 7 years; can i safely assume that if it causes no discomfort or pain, i can just live with it?

i'm scared, i don't wanna see the dentist! and i think dentists and docs these days prefer to err on the side of error and tell u to get surgery just in case even tho' u may not necessarily need it

Comment

can i safely assume that if it causes no discomfort or pain, i can just live with it?
          like what most dentists will tell u, by the time u can feel the pain or discomfort, it'll be too late

Based on my experience, it's kinda difficult to clean the teeth right at the back properly so chances of decay is higher. I realised that food tends to trap at the gap between the last molar and the wisdom tooth hence makes it really prone to gum infection if i don't clean it properly.

But i think you're right, dentist tend to err on the side of caution. That is why i took out other 2 wisdom teeth (with normal extraction) even tho' they were not giving me much problem then.

Good to go visit a dentist just for a checkup even if u end up not extracting your wisdom tooth. Trust me, it's not that scary Can try NTUC Denticare, heard that they are quite alright.

Comment

oh yes, forgot to tell about this incident some years back.

I was having this on and off fever for several days and doc couldn't tell the cause of it. He did suspect that it was mumps cos one side of my jaw seems a little swollen but i didn't have other symptoms of mumps. It was only at the 3rd visit that he decided to refer me to a dentist. True enough, it was an infection caused by my impacted wisdom tooth.

yeah! wisdom tooth can be such a pain........

Comment

i'm going to live with it until something goes wrong, i can't live with the thought of (possible) surgery *shudder*

in the meantime, i'll just brush my teeth more carefully

Comment

Originally posted by "bluebubble"

i'm going to live with it until something goes wrong, i can't live with the thought of (possible) surgery *shudder*
                Nooooo, don't!! That's what my brother did and in the end, instead of a simple extraction, he had to undergo Keiko's procedure (cut gum, sew back) because the tooth started rotting inside his gums!!!

Another friend put hers off and sure enough, same story as Keiko's...fever...swollen jaw....and the tooth had to come out. More pain and more complicated than it would have been had she just opted to have them out earlier.

I decided to play safe because I was studying overseas and did NOT want to risk going under the scalpel of the British NHS!!! *shudder* At the first sign of trouble, I took myself down to my dentist and had all my wisdom teeth out. Thank goodness my teeth decided to "act up" when I was back home holidaying in S'pore!

It's really not that bad....go get yourself checked up, you're a big girl now!

Comment

Re: wisdom teeth

Originally posted by "keiko"

Visited my orthodontist last week and found that my last wisdom tooth is growing in a very awkward position. It's half impacted and growing horizontally. Looks like a complicated case and he's recommending that an oral surgeon do the extraction instead. Gonna set me back by at least $600.

Pan is right, visit your dentist first to see how it is growing out.
                  Keiko, I've got the same problem as you I went to my dentist & I had an x-ray which showed that my bottom 2 wisdom teeth are like that. He told me to think about it & go back to him for a checkup later...I kept putting it off! Now after hearing what all of you have said, I think I'd better go get it checked...booo hooooo.....I *hate* surgeries!! Minor & major alike!! Ahhhhhhh......

Comment

You all make it sound so scary! I've never had widsom tooth before...and you gals are making it sound like a nightmare! *pray* All I want for Christmas is no wisdom tooth...no widsom tooth...no widsom tooth....

Comment

yah...wisdom tooth is like a real pain. my bf had his one or two growing few months back. seen a dentist and was told that its going fine but he keep complaining to me that it is not really comfortable.

think he needs something to chew on??? like toddlers growing their teeth.
                      haha
                      now that xmas is over...maybe we should change the lyrics a little
                      *sings*all i want for new year is no wisdom tooth, no wisdom tooth, no..wisdom tooth!

Comment

i hate dentist, rather am scared of them. i r'bered terrible childhood days when i had to be there everyweek, painful fillings & extractions. memories vivid till now. anyway after a hiatus of prob 10yrs, went to the dentist 5yrs back coz of one molar filling that dropped & i had this lil tiny nestle nut embedded in the molar. the pain was dreadful i had to see the entist. tt was when i re-discovered new technology now, no more numbing pain tt comes with filling up when they drill the molar to even out before a fill is done. he noticed i had 2 wisdowm tooth removed when i was really young(think doc removed it for fear of pain when i was 12 prob). anyway i had another 2 wisdom tooth & no surgery was needed coz no pain. but one day after my meal, i could feel a portion of my gums, like meat in between my tooth & yes the wisdom tooth grew out & force the gum to be hanging out. i went to the dentist next morning & immediately extracted it, thx goodness then no surgery needed coz tooth was big enuff to be pulled with this plier thingie that was HUGE, i was scared shit but it was all over in a few minutes. another is growing each day now & i fear the day i need to remove it, been off the dentist chair for 2 yrs! hope to keep it tt
                        way for a long time.

Comment

Everyone is scarred from their childhood memories of the dentist...*LOL*...but believe me, the technology these days is so advanced you really won't feel a thing.

I don't know about you gals but I've always been wary of the govt dentists...ever since a trainee nurse filed my friend's teeth and drilled her molars....FOR PRACTICE!!! 8O How unethical is that?!?!?

Comment

Keiko, I've got the same problem as you I went to my dentist & I had an x-ray which showed that my bottom 2 wisdom teeth are like that. He told me to think about it & go back to him for a checkup later...I kept putting it off! Now after hearing what all of you have said, I think I'd better go get it checked...booo hooooo.....I *hate* surgeries!! Minor & major alike!! Ahhhhhhh......
                            it's not that bad

most people are afraid of the tooth extraction cos you can see and hear what the dentist is doing to you. It's scary but actually there's not much pain cos of the anaesthesia.

i've been through the worst...when i extracted 4 premolars at the same time. Trust me, it's not as bad as it seems. Better go get it checked first.

Comment

Actually, I've also had 4 tooth extracted from me at the same time for my braces too...but that was like yonks ago...& I'm still scccaareeedddd.....

Comment

Working...
                              X