Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Problem Exercise

Originally posted by Sky
    I know swimming and pilates are some great ways to solve back problems.

Does anyone have back problem and how to do you tackle it?
    Oh I would like to know too. I thought swimming is a good form of exercise that won't harm the back. I didn't know that it can solve back problems.

I have a back pain at the middle right section of my back. I guess it must be due to incorrect sitting position. Now whenever I sit at a certain position, my back aches :sotong:

pilates is supposed to correct this, it was actually pioneered for sports and dance injuries apparently...i'm not sure if regular classes are suitable or if you need personalized lessons but you could call up to ask

Comment

me! i have severe back trauma! it hits me a lot without warning. but i have a medical condition with my spine.

anyway swimming helps but sometimes spur of moment sudden twist or turn would turn against me. i would then have to rest a lot. i do wear a lot of walking shoes, flat & cushioned when the pain hits me. also my loafers take me through the workdays with lesser problem over my heels.

i just started brisk walking yesterday & 2 rounds on the foot reflexology path. i hope this would gradually help me build up my body to take running. i woke up today with no major back pain so i think this is good too!

check the link keiko provided on the swiss ball. it is a good read!

Comment

certain yoga poses are also good for back problems. e.g. cobra

but i would advise you too see a doctor first, it could be a slipped disc

Comment

my tailbone area and my neck is currently experiencing discomfort... when i wake up i'll feel my back is really uncomfortable too... time i changed a pillow??

Comment

Originally posted by Sky
            It could be your bed mattress giving you problem. Is your mattress soft or firm?
            my mattress is firm... *ouch* this is torturing me!

Comment

I have been informed by a doc that my back is crooked....or at least 20 degrees "off" about 6 years ago. He did not recommend any correctice procedure but told me to swim regularly which I did not. I am starting to worry that as I age, this problem may develop into some sort of pain or discomfort.

Comment

I just learnt this at a yoga lesson few weeks ago.

Lie flat on your tummy down the floor
                Forehead facing the ground
                Straighten your arms and legs
                Inhale
                Lift your arms and legs off the ground
                Try to bring them as high as you can
                Hold for a few seconds
                Exhale and relax

And repeat all over again.
                It strengthens your back muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by echo_nym
                  I have been informed by a doc that my back is crooked....or at least 20 degrees "off" about 6 years ago. He did not recommend any correctice procedure but told me to swim regularly which I did not. I am starting to worry that as I age, this problem may develop into some sort of pain or discomfort.
                  would sit ups help?
                  one of my friend has a very crooked spine too (but not that bad that it needs surgery) and i think the doctor told her to do more sit ups. anybody knows if that's true?

Comment

Another clinic to try as hubby actually got a very bad injury(slip disc) and is undergoing treatment there. Seems effective on him but speed of recovery depends on individual.

Active Chiropractic
                    Camden Medical Centre
                    #07-01
                    Dr Bruce Lee : 68360833

Comment

i have a crooked back too. it's about 25 degrees. it's called scoliosis, and you'll need surgery only if you are 30 degrees off. most people normally have about 10 degrees off. if you're still growing though, instead of surgery, you'll be given braces. apparently there's nothing you can do about it, neither will it cost any difficulties as you grow older. however, when you do sit ups, note that one side will develop better than the other because of the lack of support in one side, and hence more effort will be spent.

ballet is one way of correcting it.

Comment

Originally posted by gothic_barbie
                        i have a crooked back too. it's about 25 degrees. it's called scoliosis, and you'll need surgery only if you are 30 degrees off. most people normally have about 10 degrees off. if you're still growing though, instead of surgery, you'll be given braces. apparently there's nothing you can do about it, neither will it cost any difficulties as you grow older. however, when you do sit ups, note that one side will develop better than the other because of the lack of support in one side, and hence more effort will be spent.

ballet is one way of correcting it.
                        mine is abt 8 deg and i cant stand for too long if not my back ache really badly
                        try swimming it helps

Comment

i used to have serious backache for almost 6-8mths.. but after doing a lot of stretching.. it helps..

there's one exercise which is gd for back..

u lie down on an exercise mat flat .. face up, knee 90 degrees.. slowly lift ur butt and back up and stay for abt 5-10seconds and slowly go down..

do this a few times..

for me it helps

main thing is to get active... dun sit in front of pc for too long.. and exercise :p

Comment

I used to do Pilates and now that I've stopped, I feel my back getting weaker! Am picking it up again though, to rid the discomfort in my tailbone area, I think I sprained it somehow from carrying all the heavy luggage. Sigh.
                            But back injuries usually take pretty long to heal, I rec Pilates.

Comment

Originally posted by kare2711
                              Oh I would like to know too. I thought swimming is a good form of exercise that won't harm the back. I didn't know that it can solve back problems.

I have a back pain at the middle right section of my back. I guess it must be due to incorrect sitting position. Now whenever I sit at a certain position, my back aches :sotong:
                              kare2711, i have the same problem as you. Also started off with bad sitting posture. But it doesn't seems to heal even though i been going for regular accupunture. Do update if you found a solution to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X