Ayurvedic dietary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ayurvedic dietary

Since I want to restart my Ayurvedic dietary practices.... got inspired to eat Indian food. Best stuff in the house at NUS Biz Ad canteen Not so ayurvedic choices hehehe..... had muttom keema, okra and bean based dahl.

I've posted about ayuverveda in Cozycafe long time back!

In ayurveda, food plays a most important part, the right type for food for you your type of constituent (dosha) will create the least toxins (ama) and hence, health. There are also foods which are generally good for everyone, and foods which are considered as ama inducing.

So number 1, you have to assess what constituent (dosha) you are : you can be of any of the 3 main types or combinations of - air (vata), fire (pitta) and water (kapha). Hence, they are also known as the tridosha.
    Questionnaires will give you an idea what constituent you are.
    http://www.holistic-online.com/ayurv...eda-dtest1.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/9012/test.htm

The main webpage from where I got these two links from are my favourites, helpful info. Just shorten the links to get to the main page

Authors to read and available at Kino and Borders: Vasant Lad, Svoboda and Johari.

Even then, different authors give different opinions on what is the suitable diet for each dosha

For example, I'm mostly vata with very slight pitta tendencies.

So to reduce ama,
    i) Eat accordingly.
    ii) practice detoxing periodically. As simple as scraping off the tongue scum daily for everyone; or taking cleansing herbs (triphala is like good for everything).
    Different constituents also benefit from purging from different orifice :p I dare not do what is best for vata .... but have been doing bowel purge (best for pitta), inducing once monthly 'diarrhoea' with epsom salts. Liver purge is very good a few times a year but is a horrendous experience.

One of the best experience from doing Ayurveda is hunting for stuff in Little India. Just braved the rain yesterday to stock up :yay: Even bought an ayurvedic hair pack.

Also squeeze out from uncle a place to get ayurvedic treatment in Singapore: Gift Of Nature-Charakas Ayurvedic & Aroma Therapeutic

Want to check this out? I want to regain hair and energy!

Comment

Originally posted by paphio
      Different constituents also benefit from purging from different orifice :p I dare not do what is best for vata .... but have been doing bowel purge (best for pitta), inducing once monthly 'diarrhoea' with epsom salts.
      I'm a Pitta and Vata. This bowel purge thingy sounds nasty!

Thanks for sharing this with us, Paphio. Really interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by Glossie
        I'm a Pitta and Vata. This bowel purge thingy sounds nasty!
        Thanks for sharing this with us, Paphio. Really interesting read.
        You are welcomed!
        The bowel purge isn't nasty at all, quite different from the usual diarhoea from being sick. Can even aid emotional release My friend who started ayurveda with me said she didn't get menstral cramp after her first purge
        The only unpleasant part is taking the laxative Epsom salt tastes horrid.

Comment

The only unpleasant part is taking the laxative Epsom salt tastes horrid.
          Only Epsom salts will do? Any alterntive less-horrid choice? Feng Sha Wan? Pou Chai Yun?

Is there zero discomfort? *scared*

Comment

General instruction is to take a light dinner. Take laxative at least 2 hrs after your dinner, say about 10 pm, with lots of water, for eg. 4 glasses.

Depends on person to person, you will get 1-3 bouts of 'diarrhoea' the next day. It is very watery, kind of like your colon being flushed Plan your first try when you are at home and have easy access to the loo.

Once you are familiar with your body's patterns, you can purge easily on a work day, knowing when you can go about without loo breaks.

Say for me, no fix time when the first movement comes (6+ to 8am) but I know the first rumble is a must-go 2nd rumble roughly an hour later and not as urgent. 3rd rumble is controllable.... can afford to hold till toilet is available.

I have friends who took the laxative and did not have diarrhoea. My guess is, eating lightly and drinking water to keep your body hydrated help. Else what you drink at night will be absorbed by your thirsty body, leaving too little for flushing.

Laxatives in my purging notes:

i) Epsom salt is the most readily available and cheap!
            Tastes strangely bitter/soapy and salty 2 tablespoons dissolved in water + as much water as you can drink (4 glasses)

ii) Other thing is Castor oil. But I'm not sure if what we find in Mama shops are of food grade. Haven't tried this, don't know how it tastes like.

iii) Bought this thing called Colozone from my friend when I first started purging. This is also a magnesium salt like epsom. This tastes extremely powder (can really dissolve), like clay, hence the yuck factor. Expensive too! $50 for a bottle.

I've ever used senna (Senacot, herbal laxative) for constipation. The cramps are really uncomfortable.

Comment

Castor oil.
              Yeeiiikes. Brings to mind that infamous :puke: scene in Stand By Me. Was it castor oil he ingested??? If so, that means this method is not a bowel purge! OMG.

Or, it works like Xenical? Haha!

I was about to suggest that this topic be un-merged from the original thread. People were talking about Food and we did an about turn and discuss (with much glee!) about human waste.. Kekeke!

Comment

Where can you find ayurvedic stores in singapore? I'm looking for triphala.

Comment

Working...
                X