Smoking - How to quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking - How to quit?

No offence to non smokers here. Do any of you ladies smoke? I started smoking about 4 years ago and then stopped when I went into university. I started smoking socially again when I was studying overseas for a semester in a country where almost everyone smokes. Now it seems like I am hooked again.

What do you girls smoke? Any tips on how to quit? Like maybe switch to a cigarette with a less potent content?

Thanks !

yeah man I have been smoking for almost 8 years oreadi...trying hard to quit to, but it really kinda tough any advice???

Comment

Originally posted by CareBeary
      yeah man I have been smoking for almost 8 years oreadi...trying hard to quit to, but it really kinda tough any advice???
      I have a friend who succeeded in kicking the habit. However it took him 2 years or so to rid him.

It's actually very simple. Just cut down on your numbers of cigs per day. Avoid hanging out at areas where lotsa people smokes. Example includes: bars,clubs and public entertainment places.

And go out more often with your friends who're non-smokers. In that way, they could make sure you don't light up infront of em as often as you do usually.

No smoking kaki = low intake of cigs

Comment

Previously when my gfs told me they want to quit smoking, we tried the following for them when we go out together

- Eat in AIRCON places so that they cannot smoke
        (especially those open-air coffee hang outs, pubs, discos etc)
        - Eat those strong mint sweets to kill the urge to smoke
        - Ask them to carry our shopping bags.
        (Reason : they said their fingers must hold something or else they feel the urge to light up)
        - Take their wallet and give it back to them only when they are going home soon
        (Cos one of my gfs is willing to spent the last 5 bucks on a pack of cigarette than a bowl of noodles or bread. She said I can dun eat but cannot dun smoke)

Hee hope my suggestions are not out of topic.

Comment

nicotine patches?
          think it should help cos u feel sick whenever u want to light up

Comment

Originally posted by natnatviv
            nicotine patches?
            think it should help cos u feel sick whenever u want to light up
            Speaking ot nicotine patches, have anyone heard this news that a few months ago, there was this article in newspaper saying there is this bra for ladies to wear that has this "smell/fragrance" that will curb the urge to smoke?

Not sure if it works. But my gf's bf is interested to get that for her for V-day present. Hee hee... Hmm..

Comment

Hey, when it comes to smoking, nicotine patches, aircon places, mints, junk food, friends, bfs, lovers, husbands, familes, NOTHING will help if you don't have 100% conviction to really quit, and not just try to quit. No matter how supportive friends and family are, there will be one single moment when you're all alone with a convenient stall just a walk/run away. and a run/walk and few dollars is just what you need to get lighted up again. Most of the time, people who are trying to quit succumb and fail all over again. Sounds familiar huh, smokers? Its a vicious cycle only smokers can understand.

My advice to you is to ask yourself why exactly do you want to quit. If the reason is not strong or good enough, then you're setting yourself up to fail. And remember that everytime you fail only means that you'll trust yourself lesser the next time you want to quit, and after failing too many times, do you think you'll still believe yourself when you say you want to quit?

I smoked for many years.... give or take, 8 years and was heavily addicted to it. But I never wanted to quit cause I knew I wouldn't be able to. Until one day I realised that either smoking or my health's gonna give way. And I quitted there and then. I've never looked back since.

Comment

Ya, I totally agree with Mango. I am not a smoker, so I can never understand the pain of kicking that habit. But I believe that whatever it is, determination is the most important factor. Once you made up your mind, you will succeed. Minty candies, avoiding smokey environments etc, they just prevent that implusive temption and does not cure the ultimate root of the problem.

Popsicle, you got to get a grip there and eventually, you will kick that habit! :bestwish Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by mango
                  Hey, when it comes to smoking, nicotine patches, aircon places, mints, junk food, friends, bfs, lovers, husbands, familes, NOTHING will help if you don't have 100% conviction to really quit, and not just try to quit. No matter how supportive friends and family are, there will be one single moment when you're all alone with a convenient stall just a walk/run away. and a run/walk and few dollars is just what you need to get lighted up again. Most of the time, people who are trying to quit succumb and fail all over again. Sounds familiar huh, smokers? Its a vicious cycle only smokers can understand.

My advice to you is to ask yourself why exactly do you want to quit. If the reason is not strong or good enough, then you're setting yourself up to fail. And remember that everytime you fail only means that you'll trust yourself lesser the next time you want to quit, and after failing too many times, do you think you'll still believe yourself when you say you want to quit?

I smoked for many years.... give or take, 8 years and was heavily addicted to it. But I never wanted to quit cause I knew I wouldn't be able to. Until one day I realised that either smoking or my health's gonna give way. And I quitted there and then. I've never looked back since.
                  couldn't have been better said. good for you, dear.

Comment

Yup I agree with what mango said...I have a friend who had been smoking for a few years and no amount of persuasion could make him quit until one fine day, he just decided to quit overnight and succeded. According to him, it's not really the nicotine that's addictive. It's the psychological aspect of smoking that was addictive...if this is the case, I doubt minty sweet, nicotine patches would really work... The best way would be to not hang around people who smoke for the time being because the pressure of lighting a cig is really strong when the people around you are doing it.

Comment

hey ladies thank you so much for the encouragement. I agree that it is very easy to fall back to the habit. I managed to curb the temptation of walking over to the convenient stall to get a pack while I had to wait for 15 mins for my feeder bus home

Perhaps it really is psychological, I feel like I need to hold a stick in my hand whenever I feel stressed, tired etc...although it really is no excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by popsicle
                        hey ladies thank you so much for the encouragement. I agree that it is very easy to fall back to the habit. I managed to curb the temptation of walking over to the convenient stall to get a pack while I had to wait for 15 mins for my feeder bus home

Perhaps it really is psychological, I feel like I need to hold a stick in my hand whenever I feel stressed, tired etc...although it really is no excuse.
                        occupying yourself is probably your best bet initially. then try to build up your determination perhaps by seeing the effects nicotine could take on YOU. as you stop smoking, you can see your health improving, your energy increasing, your skin glowing... so don't worry! progressive is the key word! you can do it!!

Comment

I tried quitting so many times and I always end up puffing more. Bottomline, like what mango said, with a mind set to quit, nothing will make you pick up those ciggies again.

If you WANT to quit, you will.

Bad for your eyes, meanwhile I just carry on puffing.

A little advice for a smoker who's still smoking her life away: Break that routine.

Comment

it might be good to switch to 'lights' and slowly cut down number of ciggs per day...for me..its hard to quit totally...

Comment

I am in the middle of quitting smoking. Almost 2 months smoke-free. It's tough and it's not my first time trying it. But i know i'm very determined now. You just have to go cold turkey and not think about cigarettes at all. It's tough, but after a while you'll realise the cravings can get go down by alot.

Comment

Working...
                              X