Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insomnia

any remedies???

The few remedies that I know of: camomile tea, valerian root tea (or better still a combi of both, some stores sell teabags that contains valerian, camomile and a mix of other sleep-inducing herbs), raw honey water (has a natural milld sedative effect), melatonine (a health supplement you can buy from GNC, taken 5-10 min before bedtime to induce sleep), or plain ol' lavender essential oil.

Comment

Originally posted by mango
      The few remedies that I know of: camomile tea, valerian root tea (or better still a combi of both, some stores sell teabags that contains valerian, camomile and a mix of other sleep-inducing herbs), raw honey water (has a natural milld sedative effect), melatonine (a health supplement you can buy from GNC, taken 5-10 min before bedtime to induce sleep), or plain ol' lavender essential oil.
      thank u!! will try it out

Comment

I know they're potentially addictive but which sleeping pills are the better ones out there?

Comment

Stella -- my boyfriend and his mum mentioned this relaxant kind of pill their family doc prescribed. apparently it really puts you to a blissful restful sleep. not too sure its name tho' but when i get the chance to check it out will post here.

Comment

Originally posted by atypical
            I know they're potentially addictive but which sleeping pills are the better ones out there?
            personally, dun **** sleeping pills are good... too addictive for others sometimes.. best is to adjust ur lifestyle a bit?

now like me .. **'t zzz :shout:

Comment

The safest and closest to a 'pill' I would recommend is Melatonin. Here's the info about melatonin I copied off a website: Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone that is thought to "set the clock" in the sleep-wake cycle. It is involved in the regulation of natural body rhythms, increasing in the evening as the sunlight diminishes and decreasing in the morning as the sunlight returns. A gland at the base of the brain called the pineal gland produces melatonin. The levels of naturally produced melatonin often decline with age, and the sedative effects of supplements have been mainly seen in elderly patients with decreased melatonin levels.

You can buy this from pharmacies and take it quite safely. Increase your dosage of you feel that its not working. The good thing about melatonin is that its not addictive at all, and you can take it daily and safely for years with no side effects.

I used to be addicted to sleeping pills for 1-2 years and those were terrible days. Definitely addictive and not recommended. Anyhow, Valium worked pretty well for me.

Comment

I cannot adjust my lifestyle. I work shifts. I already have insomnia to begin with & the swinging of shifts is making my sleeping hours less & less. I'd rather be ingesting sleeping pills than to not have any sleep at all.

Valium is working pretty well for me. Domicum too. I try not to take them everyday.

For those who were on sleeping pills regularly, I'd love for you to share more on this subject.

Comment

I cannot adjust my lifestyle. I work shifts. I already have insomnia to begin with & the swinging of shifts is making my sleeping hours less & less. I'd rather be ingesting sleeping pills than to not have any sleep at all.

Valium is working pretty well for me. Domicum too. I try not to take them everyday.

For those who were on sleeping pills regularly, I'd love for you to share more on this subject.
                  hi! seems like no choice cos ur lifestyle is fixed. Try to use lavendar oil b4 u zzz??? Pills are still not good afterall..

Comment

I think i have a bad sleeping pattern.. Dunno if that's insomia.. :huh:

These days, i cant sleep till 1-2am and have been waking up real late, say about 10-11am. I've tried sleeping since 10pm but to no avail. Was turning and tossing on the bed.. really frustrated. Was dead tired but simply cant sleep.

Got up to read for a while, felt the strain on my eyes indicating that i NEED to sleep but still couldn't :piss: till like 1 hour later on the bed..

The next morning, really have trouble waking up which is not a good thing. Really wanna wake up at 8.30am to attend to kids but simply cant.. If i don't get anough sleep, i will feel as though i am about to faint each time i bend down and no energy at all.

This is really bad. I really wish to sleep at 10pm and wake up at 8am so now, am keen to try out the sleeping pills as mentioned above.

Question is, can i just walk into any pharmacy to get these pills? How do i know which one is suitable for me?
                    Besides pills, any other advise for me? Anyone here experiences the same as me?

Cheers

Comment

ques bout sleeping pills

hi ladies, i have several questions about sleeping pills that i hope can be answered here.
                      i'll be starting school in april and i'm quite the insomniac and this has been going on not just for months, but a couple of years and i've been letting it go by untreated because it's been suiting my lifestyle fine, what with clubbing and late night movies.
                      however since i'll be starting school soon, and i reckon i'll be busy with schoolwork and all, i'll like for my sleeping hours to be regulated and somewhat human like. sooo here are my questions. TIA!
                      1) are sleeping pills easy to obtain from clinics and polyclinics? i heard you'll be given muscle relaxants or painkillers first as substitutes.
                      2) any rough idea how the prices are like?
                      3) i also heard that if say, one pill lasts for 7 hours, you'll wake up after 7 hours, regardless of whether you've gotten sufficient rest of not. is that true?
                      TIA again for any help at all!

Comment

If a pill is meant to last for 6 hours, it does not mean that you will wake up automatically after that time. As for whether it's easy to obtain sleeping pills or not, I say that would really depend on your circumstances and also your GP.

Actually I would suggest that you go to your GP and check with him/her. He/She will be the best person to answer your questions.

Comment

i would strongly not recommend you to take sleeping pills. you should learn to regulate your sleeping patterns. maybe with the help of music and excercise.

pills are definately "addictive" and you run a high risk of being dependent on them. it's not too easy to obtain sleeping pill, usually GP will look into the reasons and determine your medication. normally they would start you off with a relaxant instead... unless the relexant fails to work, then they're give you the pill and that's only a week's supply... ( this is my experience when i was going through depression and i worked as a clinic asst before)

i still keep my pills for emergency but i've not been taking them at all. stay happy and healthy. you'll be fine...
                          :wish:

Comment

Cherie, I have the same problem with you. Can't sleep if turning in too early, often requires 2 hours or more to fall asleep, and never feel refreshed in the morning But I think mine is due to stress in the office because I also get migraine very often.

Agree that sleeping pills is not the way to go. My GP prescribed relaxant pills which she said different from sleeping pill and will help me relax, hence allowing me to sleep faster. But so far I only took it once since I prefer to 'cure' it through other ways. Pills (sleeping/relaxant) should be the last resort.

Here's some tips from my GP:
                            - Exercise regularly, but do not do it too close to bedtime
                            - Do not watch tv/surf the net close to bedtime to help your mind to relax
                            - Listen to slow/relaxing music
                            - Do not think about work stuff in bed
                            - Use your bed only for sleeping
                            - Drink warm milk

Comment

Originally posted by pretty_panda
                              Cherie, I have the same problem with you. Can't sleep if turning in too early, often requires 2 hours or more to fall asleep, and never feel refreshed in the morning But I think mine is due to stress in the office because I also get migraine very often.

Agree that sleeping pills is not the way to go. My GP prescribed relaxant pills which she said different from sleeping pill and will help me relax, hence allowing me to sleep faster. But so far I only took it once since I prefer to 'cure' it through other ways. Pills (sleeping/relaxant) should be the last resort.

Here's some tips from my GP:
                              - Exercise regularly, but do not do it too close to bedtime
                              - Do not watch tv/surf the net close to bedtime to help your mind to relax
                              - Listen to slow/relaxing music
                              - Do not think about work stuff in bed
                              - Use your bed only for sleeping
                              - Drink warm milk
                              this is exactly what my doc told me.. i'm on the relaxant pills for a few months.. durin this period i will get to bed at a standard time.. recently just stop eatin them.. now i need a longer time to get to sleep ( its better than cant sleep at all)but i feel better without the pills..

Comment

Working...
                              X