Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regime/s to a broader and stronger shoulders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regime/s to a broader and stronger shoulders?

Hello cotters, just wondering if anyone knows how to broaden and strengthen shoulders?

I was born in shape- pear shape and this has been a trademark of my family . Our shoulders are relatively small as compared to the overall structure of our body.

I'm in my early twenties now and only started excersising when i was about 19 or so, and in between these years, i did stop the regularity a couple of times. Is it too late to do anything about it?

Because of the shoulders, i could wear spaghetti tops, but with only fitter or adjustable straps. and somehow body seems off- balance. Hee.. (spaghetti tops are one of my fav.)

But the good thing is i would not look THAT fat when in actual, i'm slightly plumper, coz pple tend to see the upper part of the body at first sight.

However, i would still like to have a broader, or at least a stronger-built shoulder (coz they are really under-developed in a way ) for a more healthy look.
    Any regimes to share?

Thanks in advance, dearies!

hi! sigh..I think swimming helps, in particular breaststroke Keep fingers together and bring your arms in swiftly as you 'scoop' the water for breast stroke..

muscle definination makes a world of a difference, if you have access to a gym, classes with weights (eg: body pump) will strengthen your upper arms, simple curls with light weights and many reps as well or lat pull downs and any rowing motion equipment will help.

otherwise think simple push ups? (knee supported on good mat, palms flat on floor with elbows tucked and close to the side of your body)

All fails- wear halters, show off your slim upper body with skinny tanks and tops to draw attention upwards

Comment

Easy!

just swim!

every week, 2x a week, >1h each time, focusing on the front crawl (aka freestyle) and butterfly.

CONFIRM will build up your shoulders.

just look at all the competitive swimmers. even the not-so-good have the swimmer's V-shape torso.

i used to swim competitively when i was younger, and my shoulders unfortunately grew quite broad too. even though it's been quite some time since i stopped, shoulders are still broader than the average gal.

Comment

Originally posted by lolitapop
        hi! sigh..I think swimming helps, in particular breaststroke Keep fingers together and bring your arms in swiftly as you 'scoop' the water for breast stroke..
        actually, breaststroke doesn't really develop the shoulders. that's more on the frontal chest muscles.

for shoulders, swim strokes that require overhead rotation of the arms will work the area more.

the shoulder muscles being worked would be the deltoids, so any weight-based exercises that include the deltoid in the muscle groups being worked would help too.

useful links:

http://www.apexfitness.com/html/exer...icles/anatomy/

http://www231.pair.com/grpulse/bt/anmush.html

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions gals! That's fast!

Just curious, how did you gals learn swimming? In particular the butterfly style? I only learnt swimming for 1 1/2 months when i was 20, and only managed to learn the breaststroke, which was considered the easiest to pick up. My trainer mentioned butterfly is a difficult style especially if one wants to do it correctly as it would be the most efficient. Is i possible to self learn? (can't seem to contact my previous coach).

Lolitapop>> Sigh.. me not slim apart from my shoulders.. waist, butt, thighs are totally far from slim! They're fleshier. I'm a pear!! Haha... guess i'll try whatever i do my best now to work on my little shoulders, and change for alternative tops at the same time!

Vixette>> Thanks for the websites. Checking them now!
          Envy you, you must be looking gorgeous with all the showing-off shoulders clothes!!! I want!!! :yaya:
          But why did you stop swimming competitively? Just curious, hope it's ok...

Comment

heya mint,

well i was thrown into the pool when i was 6months old, and started proper swimming lessons before i started primary school so i guess you could say i was a bit of a water baby.

if you're learning how to swim, start of with breast-stroke as it is the easiest. from there try and pick up freestyle. it's not that hard, but requires a bit more energy (so it makes for a great workout!)

you can try this website for how to do the freestyle, but it's easier to learn with someone guiding your arm and leg movements.
            http://www.dundeearnhall.i12.com/stroke_front.htm

butterfly is horrendously difficult to do! you need A LOT of upper body strength to be able to do the stroke well.

ask around for swim instructors? the public pools usually have instructors around teaching children how to swim, maybe ask if they do adult coaching?

i stopped competitive swimming cos i got lazy back in sec sch. didn't want to train anymore.
            now have the shoulders but flabby arms too! so either way still cannot show off!

Comment

Water baby!! Wow!! Must be quite an adventure as a baby for you in the pool!! You've must have felt upset when you've decided to give it up?

I've kind of learnt the breast strokes already. Before i stopped my 1 1/2 mths of training, the instructor taught me a little bit on the front crawl...

http://www.dundeearnhall.i12.com/stroke_front.htm is really a fantastic site! Thanks! Pretty detailed. But somehow can't figure out it's instructions on the Butterfly style...

Arms
              Fingertips enter first
              Palm turns out (half way)
              Hand enters water between the head and shoulder
              Hand stretches forward under the water
              Wrist bends downwards and backwards
              Hand moves downwrds
              Elbow bends and hand pulls to pint under tummy button
              Hand speeds up as it pushes back
              Hand pushes back to thigh, palm faces leg
              Arm is recovered by bending elbow and picking it up
              Body rolls
              Arm is recovered with elbows high, hands close to water
              Arm should be relaxed on recovery

Seems complicated... :huh: think i'll need to observe the actual actions carefully. I'll probably check out the pool and see if there's any hot hunk swimming that style !!!

Btw, to those cotters having the same 'shoulder' problem as me, do check out the sites consollidated by Vixette. It's informative!

Comment

Originally posted by vixette
                actually, breaststroke doesn't really develop the shoulders. that's more on the frontal chest muscles.

for shoulders, swim strokes that require overhead rotation of the arms will work the area more.

the shoulder muscles being worked would be the deltoids, so any weight-based exercises that include the deltoid in the muscle groups being worked would help too.

useful links:

http://www.apexfitness.com/html/exer...icles/anatomy/

http://www231.pair.com/grpulse/bt/anmush.html
                thanks for the headsup vix, i've been swimming freestyle and breast stroke all my life, i've figured one of them mustv done the work.. shoulders alot broader now thanks vix! I can't swim butterfly for nuts, I look like i'm thrashing around! sigh

Comment

Originally posted by mint_infused
                  You've must have felt upset when you've decided to give it up?

http://www.dundeearnhall.i12.com/stroke_front.htm is really a fantastic site! Thanks! Pretty detailed. But somehow can't figure out it's instructions on the Butterfly style...
                  not really. cos i was quite crap at competitive swimming. in school, used to come in like, 3rd, 4th. enough to gain points for my house only. now i swim for fun and exercise only.

butterfly is a VERY difficult stroke. i remember my swim instructor only started teaching me the basics of the stroke a few years after i mastered the other three (including backstroke)

even now, i still can't get it right.

Comment

If you're not a very good swimmer, doing simple pushups will help. I've always had rather broad shoulders (did quite a lot of swimming in primary and sec school) but they grew even broader in JC coz I did heaps of pushups due to training. I probably did around six, seven hundred pushups each training session, but I think starting off with just 50 a day will help.

Comment

Originally posted by babyflite
                      If you're not a very good swimmer, doing simple pushups will help. I've always had rather broad shoulders (did quite a lot of swimming in primary and sec school) but they grew even broader in JC coz I did heaps of pushups due to training. I probably did around six, seven hundred pushups each training session, but I think starting off with just 50 a day will help.
                      Thanks babyflite. Looks like there's hope for me!
                      The 'ladie's' type of push ups will do right? Or did you mean the normal ones where the knees are off the ground? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Ladies pushups is fine. You can proceed to guys pushups after you build your strength up but ladies pushups will be good enough. Easier to master and less chances of injuring yourself too. Make sure you pull your abdominal muscles back towards your spine so that your back stay straight and you don't injure yourself.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. =>

Comment

Working...
                          X