Temporarily stop menstruation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporarily stop menstruation?

Is there any medication that can prevent menstruation from gatecrashing your holiday?

It'll be no fun if i'm having menses when I'm at hk end June, in the first place, everytime I having period, I feel giddy n hv bad cramps... don't think I will enjoy my trip

I'm not sure if my menses will be in mid or end June... say if it comes mid June, I will be worry free as it will be clear by my trip... but if it still doesn't come by say, 3 days before my trip, can I go doc to get some medication to make sure it only starts in july? Will it be too late by then?
    Last edited by vixette; 17-05-2004, 05:41 PM.

Yes. I have seen my doctor to temporary stop my menses for one of my vacation years back. All he did was prescribe a medicine. I don't have the name right now. You might like to consult your doctor on this.

Comment

I suggest you go on the pill.

Comment

Yes there is a pill for you to take. You can check with your gynae or doctor.

Normally you take the pills depending 3-5days before your trip starts and throughout the trip you eat the pill until you are back.

Once back in singapore, you just need to stop eating the pill and within 2-3 days your menses will come.

But some ladies who took this pill seems to have some side effects as in the menses for that month will be "a lot" or the cramps will be a bit more serious.

Comment

I've also taken this pill to temporarily stop my period (also for a holiday). Will work fine so as long as you follow the doctor's instructions.

Comment

I'm on Norethisterone now, paid $28 including consultation fees. Just go to the doctor at least one week before you think your menses will come, and tell him your cycle. My doc prescribed exactly enough pills for me for my trip, hmm... not very generous of him

Originally posted by Verda
            But some ladies who took this pill seems to have some side effects as in the menses for that month will be "a lot" or the cramps will be a bit more serious.
            My doc didn't tell me that! It's my first time taking this pill :huh:

Comment

I've taken it twice for my trips and have not experienced any side effects. Forgot the name too....
              The side effects mentioned by the doc were similar to the ones listed by Verda. But she said its seldom felt by users.

Note: Cost of the pills not covered in my company's medical benefits.

Comment

I've taken it before for my trips overseas and the side effect I got was that my period cycle became very irregular for a few months

Comment

I used to have really bad cramps and the gynae prescribed me the pill...BUT, after two months of taking it, I stopped because it just wasn't working for me. I started getting my period like 3 times a month and my entire hormonal system was just so screwed...so I guess it isn't suitable for everyone. Go and see the doctor early so as to give yourself some time to adjust to the medication.

Comment

i think i took that Noreth-thingy cosmo mentioned when i had a super irregular period. it stopped the bleeding alright. but i did get mood swings on it, and i tended to not want my SO to touch me - at all. so it's kind of freaky for me.

Comment

Hmm...I heard that such pills can cause infertility problems for some women. So its still best not to take it unless you absolutely have to.

Comment

I'm going snokelling and diving at Redang early next month and i don really want my "auntie" to visit me at that time. Definitely will spoil all my mood. Can i get the pills from any doctors any clinicS?

Comment

In answer to ArieS: yep. I got mine from my GP.

Comment

ArieS-> My gf was having her period on our trip. The DM joked that she would be the first to see shark when diving *lol*

Have fun in Redang

Comment

Gosh!
                              I'm afraid of sharks!

Guess I'll get one frm a women's clinic. Hope those side effects which you all mention,are alright with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X