Contact Lens For Astigmatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact Lens For Astigmatism

Anyone with astigmatism wearing contacts here? Are you using disposable or permanent? Hard or soft? How much is it? What brand do you suggest? Phew! That's a lot of question!

I refer to the Bausch and Lomb ad that i saw! I heard from that contact lens for asti is very expensive. Is that true?

Thanks, I'm a contact lense dummy!

I wear contact lenses but I don't have astigmatism. I also wear regular Bausch and Lomb. Just wanna tell you that B & L in general cost more than the other brands. But they do feel absolutely comfortable (no dry feelings etc). And BTW, I use soft lense, daily disposable.

Sorry I'm not of much help with your other questions.

Comment

been wearing toric lenses for more than a few years, but stopped a yr ago.

was wearing permanent all along. the thing about astigmatism is that the toric lenses u use must fit ur eyeball snugly once it rotates out of place, ur vision will become blur - this means every pair of your dispoable lenses must be custom-made to fit the curvature of your eyeball.

from what i understand (i do not suffer from myopia) it is different from normal lenses for myopia - myopia disposable lenses can b mass produced, it doesn't matter if the lenses rotate because your vision will not be affected.

3 years ago when i was asking about disposable toric lenses, my optician says it's very expensive and disposable lenses are mass-produced so they usually do not fit so well. that's why he did not recommend me. but now seems that many labels are aggressively pushing their toric disposables... how much do they cost?

i think if all factors are same - disposables are a cleaner and less troublesome choice altho more expensive. i would choose disposables provided quality is same as permanent and i can afford paying more

Comment

i used to wear toric lenses for abt a year till i gave up
        my astimatism is quite low so i can foregone it if i want
        basically wore B & L for a while, i remembered
        mine was custom made and damn expensive
        it gave me dry eyes and probably cos of my sensitive eyes
        bcos it is not those disposable ones, i always have to clean it religiously (i am lazy i admit)

have since switched to normal contact lenses, i wear the ciba vision and the focus ones both disposable ones and it has been good so far

Comment

Re: Contact Lens For Astigmatism

Originally posted by Peace
          Anyone with astigmatism wearing contacts here? Are you using disposable or permanent? Hard or soft? How much is it? What brand do you suggest? Phew! That's a lot of question!

I refer to the Bausch and Lomb ad that i saw! I heard from that contact lens for asti is very expensive. Is that true?

Thanks, I'm a contact lense dummy!

ME ME ME! :yaya: My astigmatism is rather serious, according to my optican, and I have myopia as well. I used to wear toric lenses (so-called "permanent" lenses) and I was quite happy with them. The problem was the cleaning and maintenance part; I used quite a number of solutions and it was rather tedious. Besides these solutions add to quite a sum! And I hate it when I lose a lense; it cost a hundred bucks to replace it!

Now I'm using disposable monthly Bausch and Lomb. Its much more convenient as there's only one solution to clean and store. Best of all, it doesn't cost that much to replace if this clumsy girl drops her lenses again!

When choosing contact lenses, its important to note that different brands offer different curvatures to suit us. I tried on Johnson & Johnson's and they didn't fit. So do go to a dependable optican to check and fit your lenses!

Comment

me me! im wearing semi-gas permenable contact lenses for over 10 years. I'm not sure which brand, need to check but i know its made in the USA. Sorry.. my "uncle" was my optometrist and since it was free.. i didnt ask too much.

ive been told by others that the lenses will help prevent my myopia from going up further...

Comment

Thanks ladies for the reply.

naughtygirl => that helped me quite a lot. I didnt know that B&L costs more than the others.

nat and Joelle => How much did your toric lens cost. Does the cost depend on the severity of the astigmatism?

secrets=> mine is very serious too 250 for each eye How much is your B&L disposable lens?

Snowstar=> That's what i heard too. They eplained it by saying that tehre was no distance between our pupil and the lens. I wonder if that is true. :roll:
              Last edited by Peace; 03-06-2004, 02:31 PM.

Comment

peace -> mine costs abt $300 i think
                but that was like 3 yrs ago

Comment

Phew! That's was indeed expensive! And for how long did you use it? 1 year? I heard that it has to be replaced every year.

Comment

yes after a year, i got bored of cleaning
                    and i find my eyes were prone to redness after wearing it for more than 8 hrs

Comment

replaced once every 2 yrs.
                      toric doesn't mean permanent - it means specially for astigmatism, as i mentioned... toric lenses must be made specially for the curvature of the individual's eyeball. hence toric lenses can b perm or disposable
                      Last edited by Joelle; 03-06-2004, 02:53 PM.

Comment

i'm wearing toric lenses too..but one side of it seemed to have become blur...have no idea why. Mine's disposables by the way...anyone have any recs on a reliable contact lens practitioner? Been wanting to buy my new set of lenses...

Comment

girls, can you please post where you get your lenses? i'm looking for a good optometrist since i have high myopia and astig. mine is bad, about 1000 degrees on each eye and +- 300 for astig

i cant tell if the perm has helped me - its suppose to be hard so the curvature changes less. My degree is pretty bad , i cant tell if it would have been worse or better if i used soft lenses.

I find them very comfortable ( remember i have over 10 years with them ) and read that

1) less prone to germs compared to soft lenses ( NOT comparigin to disposables )

2) higher permeability = more oxygen can flow in. I can do a 20 hour day ( not recommended ) without red eyes.

got to say i havent been up to date with my research so this is info that is 10 years old!

Comment

i used B&L for abt two months. when i realised that soon after that, my eyes began to itch and teared everytime i tried to put my lenses in. and then it will hurt really badly that i will be forced to take out my lenses. my eyes were very irritated by it. i thought that maybe it was because my lenses were dirty. so i tried using a NEW pair. and it was still the same case. so i have no idea whats the problem. but i have heard of some cases whereby there are also people who gets these cases of irritation with the B&L lenses.

Comment

I also have astigmatism, and I've used only disposables. After trying almost every brand of monthly disposables in the market, I love Biomedics best cause my eyes feels the most comfortable in them. Lately I changed to daily disposables with toric- strangly its not as comfy as Biomedics monthly disposables, but I'm sticking to it cause its so much more convenient without haveing to clean it before/after wear each time.

Comment

Working...
                              X