Toning Without Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toning Without Equipment

I'm a cheapo who still wants to get into shape. Hence I'd love any suggestions for toning exercises that one can do WITHOUT equipment! Stuff like tricep dips, squats, plies, the plank... Any suggestions on exercises you find most effective? Any suggestions for good books focusing on such exercises?

simple push ups will help to tone the arms

lunges will help to tone your legs

squats will tone your butt

Comment

thanks!

Comment

hi ataraxia, i recommend these......

before you go to bed or wake up in the morning, lay in bed, put your legs together and lift both legs up. adjust angle according. on a tired day, lift both legs and place them against the wall instead. good for tummy and legs.

when watching tv, lean against wall and pretend there is an imaginary chair. good for legs and posture.

Comment

Hey Xue, here's my simple, cheapo, do-it-at-home way to keep toned as I've been trying to do this hols:

- Lunges: Great way to keep legs (calves & quads) toned. Generally, I just lunge around the house, for example from TV room to kitchen to get a drink of water = lungelungelunge back & forth. To bathroom and back, lungelungelunge. It's even gotten to be a bit of a habit when I started doing lunges at my friend's house walking back from the kitchen. Haha!
          Also when I walk the dog, I'd do lunges and I don't know what these are called but knee pickups? 15 lunges then sort of hop knee to chest 20x then lunges again. One round around the park.

- Plies (yeah the French term for ballet leg bends): Helps to tone inner thighs (those are toughest to tone, I think) & butt too. Grande-plies (feet hip-width apart, horizontal, all the way down such that you are on balls of feet only, heels slightly off the ground) whenever you walk up/down the stairs in your house or to your house.

- Leg lifts: Yup, like what those mags say, when you're watching TV! Lie on the couch and do leg lifts. If you want to tone your inner thighs, keep your leg lift turned out and build resistance by starting off midair instead of from a support base (like have leg 10cm off the ground/couch and then lift high up from there) . Also works calves.

Heh, doing these at home so that trying to make them become a house habit.

Comment

try Shape magazine, there's a section dedicated to toning combinations with/without machines.

Comment

i like to do pushups against my windowsill because my arm strength is lousy and i can't do proper ones

and i do tricep dips on the floor as well (instead of resting my hands on a chair or bench, i rest them on the floor), just dip as usual. keep your hands close together!

and of course squats and leg lifts work as well.

Comment

thanks so much girls!!!

Comment

Originally posted by geekchic
                  - Lunges: Great way to keep legs (calves & quads) toned. Generally, I just lunge around the house, for example from TV room to kitchen to get a drink of water = lungelungelunge back & forth. To bathroom and back, lungelungelunge. It's even gotten to be a bit of a habit when I started doing lunges at my friend's house walking back from the kitchen. Haha!
                  ROFL! that's so funny.

Xue, i recommend push ups. i've been doing push ups every morning the minute i wake up (around 20 -25) for a week or so, already i see my arms becoming more toned really effective.

i also do crunches. those left elbow-right knee ones? you contract your side abs and lift the left elbow/right elbow and your right knee/left knee to meet.

another version of crunches - works lower and mid abs.
                  -> lie flat on the floor. contract your abs. then lift both your legs off the floor, holding themat a low angle to the ground. then further curl one leg up to 90 degree angle, and lower to low angle with the ground. repeat with other leg, and so on.

Comment

I can never do pushups properly. I feel like my shoulders are 'jutting out' if u get what I mean?

Anyway, I'm not too sure if swimming is considered exercising w/o equipment , but personally I swim a lot. I find that swimming tones me up really fast and is the best way since water insulates yourself from injuries.

Comment

Rach - do you hold your tummy taut at the same level as your chest when you do pushups? maybe that would help so that your shoulders don't stick out

i used to be a good swimmer but gosh, stopped swimming for a few years and then now it's one breath, one underwater stroke, one breath, one underwater stroke! can't seem to hold my breath that long anymore!!

Comment

I am an active person with really strong legs, but I would like to get
                        them a lot thinner and more toned without actually changing my diet
                        which is super low in saturated fats and moderately low in sugar. I
                        currently run, swim, and bike, but I want slimmer legs anyway. What
                        are some things I can do without extensive equipment to help me?
                        Thanks in advance for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by selye View Post
                          What is your program like?

As an aside, you may need to increase your saturated fat intake. You can decrease the sugar but not fat for health.

Comment

Originally posted by selye View Post
                            Great job on your diet! Keep on working on it and eating clean. I would recommend bodyweight exercises such as squats, lunges, side lunges and butt lifts (bridge). Do them in the 15 to 20 rep range. This high rep range will merely burn fat around the muscle and not allow you to gain too much muscle (unlike lifting heavy weights).

You can try this workout (do it as fast as possible)

15 lunges
                            15 squats
                            15 side lunges
                            Rest (15 secs)

Repeat this cycle 3 to 4 times, as fast as possible. You should be able to complete it in 5 to 7 minutes, given how active you are. You should be feeling exhausted and sore after the workout.

Comment

Working...
                            X