How to Train up for Marathon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Train up for Marathon

I am interested to slowly train up to run a marathon. I have not been exercising for months.... Any advise on how to starting training for it?

How long do you think it will take to train up for half marathon?

I took about 1 month of running at least twice a week before i ran the Adidas King of the Road this Aug. That's 16.8km and i haven't really ran more than 2.4km for at least... 5 years? I suppose the next half marathon will be RUN350 in Apr12 in which you will have plenty of time to train. Ideally, with consistency, you should be able to do it with 2 months of training? rotate between swimming and running because running too much is bad for your knees.

Anyway, the best motivation is to sign up for the run first! knowing that you signed up for it already and you don't really want to "lao kui", you will naturally be more motivated to start running regularly. that works for me.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Yushan88. 16.8km of running after 1 mth of training is really impressive!!

Comment

Originally posted by fornight View Post
        Thanks for the advice Yushan88. 16.8km of running after 1 mth of training is really impressive!!
        i was "tricked" to join to accompany my cousin; after that i got hooked. hahaha Which run have you signed up for?

Comment

I think the run you mentioned seem "do-able". They have a 10km run....perhaps I should try for that...

Comment

ya, there is this Safari Zoo Run 2012, happening some time in Feb. i think it's 12km.
            try it! Although I signed up for it, the animal stench was one of my considerations...
            Worth a try though!

Comment

I need 3 months of training for a marathon because my time is not good. I can only run once a week. Share with me if there is a marathon 3 months from now? Please... Thanks! I have a less physical activity life so I want to force myself by joining this kind of commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by fornight View Post
                I am interested to slowly train up to run a marathon. I have not been exercising for months.... Any advise on how to starting training for it?

How long do you think it will take to train up for half marathon?
                Hello, just wanted to give some advice

I have been running for many years now and some things to take into consideration: (assuming you have no health problems)

1. Start off with short distance runs. i.e 2km first then slowly build up your progression to about 10% more each time.

2. If you start off too quickly, chances of injury are high as your body is not accustomed to the "pain" you are pushing it to do.

3. Get yourself fitted for a good pair of shoes. Different people have different feet shape. Like flat foot, high arch. Getting the wrong pair of shoes might not provide you with the correct stability. I got a black toenail once because of wearing the wrong shoes.

To answer your question, anyone can run a half marathon but it depends on your goal. How fast you want to complete, etc. If timing, is not a factor than you can just start slow and steady

The standard chartered marathon held every year in December is a good motivation for anyone who wants to start training. Roughly half year to train is safe.

Comment

Working...
                X