Teeth grinding (bruxism)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teeth grinding (bruxism)

sorry all..so many dental topics recently..

my last visit my dentist also suspect i have this problem. i think i have..at night when i sleep i clench my jaws quite tightly..sighz so many problems and they all need $..

this morning i woke up with left head pain and neck also..

though i tried to remind myself..

she suggested wearing a mouth guard at night, anyone wore before?

I've been wearing one nightly on my lower teeth for the last 1 1/2 years. I never realized I had a problem until my dentist discovered a crack in my molar probably caused by grinding my teeth in my sleep. The molar eventually had to be crowned & I have to wear the mouthguard to prevent the porcelain crown from chipping and prevent further damage to other teeth.

angie

Comment

hi..my dentist also suspected the same thing! my molar doesnt need to be crowned yet..but in the future yes..

oh so its to be worn on either lower or upper? or both?

did u do a root canal as well?

was there any difficulty in wearing the guard to sleep?

sorry..so many questions..

Comment

I didn't do a root canal since the root is still alive so just the crown. You should just need the guard for either the upper or lower teeth but not both.

The first couple of nights was a little hard to get used to... saliva tended to accumulate. However my dentist told me I should get myself tired out or sleep less in the preceeding night before I first start to use the guard... worked like a charm although I've never had sleep problems (ie usually I sleep like a pig, always not enough sleep) Probably took me 2 or 3 days to get used to it

One thing to watch for... there are diff grades of hardness for the mouthguard. My first one was made of a softer material and I really had difficulties keeping it clean. I was not supposed to use a toothbrush on it but the inside got really disgusting so I ended up brushing it. The surface was also chipping and flaking after a month. After a year I coudn't take it anymore and asked my dentist for another one, she ordered this one in a harder material which also took me a few days to get used to. This one is much better, no chips so far (nearly 5 months) and still completely clean on the inside.

My dentist told me about 10% of patients would not be able to get used to the guard so maybe it was a good move for her to give me the softer guard for my 1st time, the one I have now would probably have been a little harder to get used to. HTH!

angie
        Last edited by ae260; 01-01-2005, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I'm one of those who just couldn't get used to it (the saliva! eek!) so my expensive mouth guard lies abandoned. I know, I know...

Comment

hi saresha
            was yours a teeth grinding case or jaws clenching?

hmm if u do not wear wouldnt it risk a chipped tooth or anything?

perhaps can try to psycho yourself to wear...

Comment

Just the thought of more teeth cracking is enough to make me persist with the mouthguard. I didn't realize how bad the grinding was until the first mouthguard started showing cracks 3 months after I first wore it! I knew I had this problem when I was at Uni but I thought I'd grown out of it.

angie

Comment

I got mine a couple of years ago, when my (then) dentist told me that the surface of my molars was being worn down. I did sometimes wake up with my jaws feeling somewhat sore. No serious problems with cracking or anything, so I think the situation hasn't got worse, if no better. But I probably should dig up my mouthguard anyway.

Comment

icic..ya i didnt realise till my dentist pointed to me..
                  then i recall the past year i did have a habit of clenching hard i dont know why.
                  and i often wake up with soreness and migraines

read up on the net that clenching causes that worst after alcohol..sheez i drank some last night, no wonder today the left side of my head and neck hurt.

tried to remind myself to stop that but i cant somehow...

anyone know whats all these due to?

Comment

Stress and tension I think. Does alcohol really cause clenching to worsen? I thought alcohol is a relaxant? :huh:

angie

Comment

i also thought so! but when i read through the net this morning it stated otherwise!

stress and tension..hmm ya..im a panicky person..sighz

Comment

just went to have one done..sigh pretty ex..i had it in medium...

collect it 1 week later, hope i am able to get used to it

Comment

Good luck and give yourself time to get used to it

angie

Comment

thanks..remember i said i clenched badly on fri night that it hurts? now it still hurts but not so bad, i wonder when will the pain go away.

dont know whether its due to my overzealous brushing or clenching.

sighz hopefully its not a cracked tooth

Comment

i made a mouth guard, but only used once...too uncomfy. but i suggest u use sensodyne tooth paste, coz ppl who grind their teeth are bound to have sensitive teeth. buy the blue packaging one, it taste better

Comment

Working...
                              X