Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herbs with anti-cancer/Cancer fighting properties

I hope this is an appropriate thread.

I am starting a project researching on medicinal herbs (from any race or culture) which are known to have anti-cancer or cancer fighting properties.

It can be in a soup form or boiled teas. Green tea is a well-known example ( I am researching in Green tea as well to see which brands have the real good stuff in it in the markets!)

Any help would be appreciated may it be chinese, indian , malay or any sort! it would be great if you could state where to purchase it from? Thanks so much!!

Michelle, your project is an excellent one! I have a lot of belief in the potency of herbs to cure certain health problems. Do give me a couple of days to rummage through the stack of health magazines my family keeps at home.

Off the top of my head, I've read that White Tea and Shiitake Mushrooms have cancer-fighting / cancer-preventing properties. There are a lot more - let me go find out!

BTW, do share your findings with us!

Comment

Thanks jeanette for your help!

I think this project is something pretty new to the medical field and it would be superb if there would be positive findings in this

btw, White tea in exact from what kind of tea plant? I am not too knowledgeable in the tea world

Comment

Garlic...it has cancer preventive agents too...

Comment

hmm... someone once told me that burdock root has anti-cancer
          properties.

Comment

bebelatte, how is the burdock root used in cooking ?

Comment

You may want to ask the vegetables seller about that . I think you can use it with some pork ribs to boil soup. I had only taken burdock root in pills form by GNC.

Comment

Green Tea Catechin is a good antioxidant . Try a yahoo search on it. You can purchase this from the Japanese pharnacy in Takashimaya .

Comment

Thanks all! I would love to hear more!

Comment

I read that asparagus has cancer-fighting properties too. When consumed on a regular basis over a long time, it can even help to cure cancer.

Comment

Apparently, even peanuts can help protect us from developing cancer.

Comment

Here's one for you, Michelle:

From Yahoo! News:

Bananas, Root Veggies May Cut Kidney Cancer Risk
                        Fri Jan 21,11:24 AM ET
                        By Amy Norton

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - People who like their bananas, carrots and beets may have a lower risk of developing kidney cancer than those who turn their noses up at the foods, a large Swedish study suggests.

Some past studies, though not all, have shown that diets rich in fruits and vegetables may help stave off kidney cancer. The new findings, based on dietary information from 61,000 Swedish women, zero in on certain foods -- namely, bananas, root vegetables, salad greens and cabbage -- that may confer such a benefit.

The study found that a high overall intake of fruits and vegetables was related to a lower risk of kidney cancer, though the effect was not significant in statistical terms. There were, however, significant effects when it came to certain foods.

Women who ate bananas four to six times a week, for example, had about half the risk of kidney cancer as those who did not eat the fruit. Regular consumption of root vegetables, including carrots and beets, was linked to a 50 percent to 65 percent decrease in risk.

There are about 190,000 cases of kidney cancer diagnosed worldwide each year. Research has uncovered a number of risk factors -- including smoking, obesity, high blood pressure and occupational exposure to certain chemicals, such as asbestos and cadmium. But studies on diet have been inconsistent.

The new study is the largest to show an association between kidney cancer and fruit and vegetable intake, according to lead author Dr. Bahram Rashidkhani of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm.

It adds to the body of research, he told Reuters Health, by suggesting that it's the consumption of particular foods, rather than total fruit and vegetable intake, that may matter.

The study, reported in the International Journal of Cancer, included 61,000 women ages 40 to 76 who were followed for an average of 13 years. At the start of the study, the women completed dietary questionnaires, reporting how often during the past 6 months they had eaten various foods. During the follow-up period, 122 women developed renal cell carcinoma, by far the most common form of kidney cancer.

Besides bananas and root vegetables, white cabbage -- widely consumed in Sweden -- and "salad vegetables," including lettuce and cucumber, were linked to a lower cancer risk.

The associations held up when Rashidkhani's team calculated the effects of other factors, such as age, weight and smoking.

Bananas, Rashidkhani noted, contain an especially high amount of antioxidant compounds called phenolics. For its part, white cabbage contains isothiocyanates, chemicals that lab research suggests may fight tumor formation.

There were a number of fruits the study did not consider because of their lack of popularity in the study population; these included peaches, plums, grapes and berries.

And when it came to fruit juice, the researchers found that high intake was associated with a greater risk of kidney cancer. The reason for the link, according to Rashidkhani, is unclear, and it could be just a "chance" finding.

SOURCE: International Journal of Cancer, January 2005.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...food_cancer_dc

Comment

Thanks so much girls!
                          The info is really loads I would go read up more on the stuffs which have been mentioned!

Comment

I know Lingzhi are great for treating cancer. My friend's mum is consuming this to fight the spreading of her cancer cells. You can read about it here.. .. Hths.

Last edited by OperaBella; 24-01-2005, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Neem : this is a traditional cure used by indians. was recommended by some relatives to fight leukaemia. not sure where you can buy but they usually grow this tree around indian temples? you can read more about it here.

http://www.crescentlife.com/dietnutrition/neem.htm

Cancer:
                              Researchers in India, Europe and Japan have now found that polysaccharides and limonoids found in Neem bark, leaves and seed oil reduced tumors and cancers and showed effectiveness against lymphocytic leukemia. In several patents issued in Japan hot water Neem bark extracts showed remarkable effectiveness against several types of tumors. Several of the extracts were equal to or better than the standard anti- cancer agent against solid tumors. Another researcher used an extract of Neem leaves to prevent the adhesion of cancer cells to other cells in the body. Without the ability to stick to other cells, cancers cannot spread through the body and are more easily destroyed by the body's own immune system or by other treatments. In general, Neem is known for its ability to affect cancers. Injections of Neem extract around tumors showed remarkable reduction in size in just a few weeks.

hope your research will be able to find something of use to cancer patients.

Comment

Working...
                              X