Skiing/ snowboarding anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiing/ snowboarding anyone?

Hi has anyone tried skiing/ snowboarding at Snow City before? I'm thinking of taking lessons there, but one or two pple have told me Snow City sucks. But I think that's relative, right? I mean you can't compare Snow City to the Swiss Alps. haha. I have a couple of reasons for wanting to do this. Mainly, I see it as an investment. I went to Korea 2 years ago and they brought us to Yong Pyong. But all of us Singaporeans were like cartoon, cannot make it! So we 'wasted' our trip there, stuck to the baby slopes, where there's, like a hump, more than a real slope. hahaha. So I thought it'll be nice to learn skiing once and for all, rather than spend all the money going there and waste time learning there.....that way I can hop straight to the ski lifts. It's quite expensive in Singapore though what I really like is that I can go back and learn over a few months than cram everything on the spot. It's $400 for 4 2-hour lessons. You can have an intro lesson first where they teach you both skiing and snowboarding basics, then you figure out which you want to learn.

Basically I thought I'm not a sports person. I don't enjoy land sports, and water sports don't tempt me either. But I realised that I might be a winter sports person. I really enjoy ice-skating, but not rollerblading! My friends told me I was born in the wrong country!

Anyway, if anyone has any opinions or is interested, pls share. Thanks! =)

I've tried a trial skiing lesson at Snow City, quite fun! Yeah, the instructor did mention that it's good to learn how to ski before taking off on an overseas trip so that you will enjoy your time on the slopes rather than waste time there learning how to ski. Call and ask if they still offer trial lessons, I did it with a friend and found the instructor very friendly and patient (1 hour lesson stretched to almost 2 hours!) HTH!

Comment

ooh. thanks for the advice girl! Yeah I will go soon. I'm determined to try something new every year for my birthday. Maybe this year this is it! =)

Comment

This sounds interesting. I'm of the same mind: learn some basics here so you don't waste your winter holiday overseas.

But unfortunately, none of my friends seem keen on it. They are either not interested, or think Snow City is sub-standard.

Comment

For me personally I prefer to learn on the slopes. It's not hard to pick up skiing. Snowboarding is a tad harder but if you skateboard or surf it'll help. If you really want to learn I recommend spending 2-3 days on the mountains. You should be able to pick up the basics by the end of the first day (stopping, turning right/left) and refine those skills as well as learn more on the other days.

Having said that, since you pretty much have to take a plane to even the closest skiing destination, I suppose it's a good idea to get your basics down first before hitting the slopes. However do note that the conditions at an indoor skiing place will be quite different from those on the slopes. For one the snow will be artificial and hence tend to be more icy and hard whereas on the slopes the snow can be either powdery and soft, more icy or even a mix of icy and soft, all depending on weather conditions. Also there might be other factors such as fog and snow/sleet to consider.

I just came back from a weekend of snowboarding and had the greatest time. There's nothing like going down the slopes with the soft snow falling on your face.

Comment

Wow lucky you! How much are beginer skiing or snowboard lessons overseas? I randomly checked some schools at Mount Whistler. An hour seems to be about C$40++, so the rates in SIngapore are still cheaper. I was also thinking of the artificial environment in SIngapore, and how after a while, one might get tired of going down the same slope! haha. But anywayz, I will go for the trial lessons and see how things go. Maybe next month or so. Will keep you gals updated!

Comment

Hmmm I'm not too sure how much lessons are. But in Australia and New Zealand they usually have a beginner package where you pay $70-$80 and you get rental of equipment for a full day, lift passes for the lower mountain slopes (beginner/intermediate) as well as a 2 hours lesson. So you pretty much do the lesson and then practice on your own for the rest of the day. Pretty cheap considering if you were to just rent equipment and purchase lift passes it will cost around $90 or so at least.

Anyway I would assume lessons to cost more on the slopes compared to an indoor environment just coz there's so much more than an instructor can teach you on the actual mountains. Anyway I haven't been to Snow City but I assume that the slope is not very high? Just curious, how do you get up to the top? I doubt they'll have chair lifts indoors. Do they use rope tows?

Comment

The slope is about 2 to 3 stories high I think. During the trial lesson we got to about 2/3 of the way up the slope? The instructor made us climb the slope instead of using the lift, he wanted us to learn how to climb up after skiing down. They have a sort of travellator thingy that the skiiers use, no rope so I don't think you can call it a rope tow! I think the lessons are a good introduction, if I ever go overseas for skiing I would definitely sign up for lessons here first just so that I have a grasp of the basics and don't waste time learning while I'm overseas.

Comment

Ah I see. Although I have to say I haven't seen anyone climbing up the slopes after skiing/snowboarding down. Way too far! Are the travellator sorta similar to escalators?

Anyway the rope tows are way harder to use compared to the chair lifts. Although it takes a bit of practice before you can 'glide off' the chair lifts with grace, there is at least the option of removing your skis/snowboards before boarding so you can just carry them in your arms and jump on/hop off with ease. With the rope tows you have to have your equipment on and although it looks easy getting pulled along by rope, it really is not. In spite of 2 snowboarding trips so far, I still haven't quite mastered not losing my balance when I'm only partially up the slope.

Comment

I think he just wanted us to be more comfortable moving around with the skis. The travellator is similar to the ones at Changi airport, only about half the width.

Comment

Hi Ae260, just wondering who your instructor at Snow City is? He seems nice. When I go, I can request for him. =)

Comment

Yikes! It was nearly a year ago so can't really remember his name. I met 2 of them, both seemed very nice.

Comment

Hi, I went for the snowboarding trial yesterday! Apparantly you either choose snowboarding or skiing. That way, you have 2 trials. It was...interesting. haha. The instructor was super-nice too. his name's Nick. I came at 8.30, geared up etc, had my lessons, and left at 10.30. Even did some tubing. We went through the basics, then had to climb the slope with our boards attach. not easy at first, but you get the hang of it. Going down is scary. you need to learn to balance on heels and toes alone. All in all it was a fun workout. =) Snow City's not as bad as I thought. pretty decent actually, but I can see how you can get bored after a few times there. The same slope.....same wallpaper (alpine scenery)... After what babyflite says about the rates in Australia, that might be cheaper, since you pay A$70 for full day skiing, plus ski lift passes plus 2 hours lesson. Snow CIty charges S$100 for a 2-hour lesson, but I heard it closes at 12 midnight. which means you probably can stay back and practise after the lesson ends at 10pm. =)

Comment

Reviving this loonng dormant (dead?) thread...

Does anyone go skiing or boarding overseas a regular basis? I did a 10 day long ski trip to Hokkaido and really enjoyed it. I was wondering where else to try that isn't too far away.

Comment

haha omg im replying like 5 months later! haha australia has good snow as well, although you have to go in june instead of december!
                              haha and hokkaido's awesomeee, i went there two years ago. good food + good skiing = wonderful time XD

Comment

Working...
                              X