Bulimia or other eating disorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulimia or other eating disorders

I think I'm bulimic and I would like to know if anyone here might be. An eating disorder is so lonely sometimes, because you have to hide it from everyone else. So I thought this forum would be a good place for me to meet others who might face the same battle as me. I'm trying my best to recover but it can be so tough sometimes.

Try to eat smaller potion so u wont have the urge to puke.

Comment

May I ask how you got started and how long has it been already? Have you made attempts to stop it? Why do you think it came back, if so?

Comment

I started not too long ago....about 3 months ago. It got progressively worse, from bingeing and puking once a week, to twice a week, and to sometimes, twice a day. I hate it when i end up puking..i hate it. Yet, sometimes i can't stop myself.

I feel guilty for eating something sinful, and then i will purposely eat somemore so that i can feel sick enough to puke them all.

I want to know if someone is suffering the same condition for me. I am in the midst of recovery..Sometimes i do get a grip on myself but i still fail now and then. But i feel so lonely....it's hard for someone else to understand how i feel.

Comment

Truth be told, I understand. It was too long ago I forgot how I got out of it. It didn't stick with me for very long. I actually induced the puking sometimes, to purge out all the "sinful" stuff.

Think of the self-disgust that follows everytime your resolve weakens.. then perhaps you'd resolve harder to get it right - from the Start. You eat healthy, then you won't wanna purge anything healthy out. Slowly, you could even stop eating those sinful stuff. I've kept off chicken skins, bacon fat, chinese sausages and b a h kwa for many years. I can't remember which started first, the bulimia or the ban.

Further, think of the side effects, not the *goodness* of staying thin or healthy after puking out the food. Nothing good comes out of this act, is there? How long do you really want this to continue?

Hope this helps

Comment

i agree with Glossie, think of the side effects.

1. damaging esophagus (sp?) from acid being regurgitated.

2. teeth decay (due to acids)

3. nutrition loss

4. and you'll never lose weight this way. most bulimic patients either put on weight or maintain their weight.

5. puffy face

6. you actually end up spending more money buying more food.

if you can't help yourself, do see a doctor for help.

what causes your bulimia? stress? nervous tension? depression? sometimes, you may need to address the underlying problem. binge eating be just be an outlet to manage your problem, which unfortunately, can't help and will be damaging in the long run.

Comment

Hi Michannan,

I do know of the side effects. I really do as I have read them up on the net. But i can't seem to help myself sometimes....everytime i eat something sinful, i will feel guilty for eating it and the first thought that i have is to get it out of my system so that it doesn't give me weight gain.

Sigh, Glossie, how did you make yourself stop? I'm going to try and do what you suggest, don't take such food to begin with, so that it doesn't start the cycle. I must try to resist and remember that.....

It's so tough. I think all this started when i gained a little weight which wasn't much to begin with and I'm slim by standards. But the weight gain made me paranoid about how i looked, and i desperately want to lose the weight and not gain any further.

Comment

I could've started out like you did. Put on a lot of weight at one point. I tend to stuff my face when under stress. I've always been slim or skinny or whatever, then suddenly I could no longer eat as much as I pleased. I don't think I became bulimic around that period, incidentally! It could be I stumbled on it once, then it became a 'backup solution'.. you get my drift la.

I'm not sure my suggestion would work for you, if you can't beat the 'greed' factor, or at least work round it. Face it, many of us are food lovers. Some of us aren't so lucky. I still enjoy sinful stuff. I just need to watch what I eat so I can indulge in junk once every so often. Everything in moderation, as they say.

Comment

buttercup, see a doc if necessary. it can be hard to cope on your own.

don't have junk food within reach. if it's not there, chances are you won't eat it. and it's rare that people will binge on healthy food. most importantly, do find out what triggers the eating. if it's stress, remove the source of it if you can. if it's because junk food is easily available, don't buy it in the first place. it helps heaps to have a support buddy with you.

the recovery period can be long. i sincerely hope you'll be well soon. don't take health for granted.

Comment

See a doctor or a counsellor as it will help. Bulimia is usually triggered by underlying factors i.e. stress, weight gain, etc. Find out the trigger point and try to avoid it. It will take some time not to force yourself to purge, but you can overcome it

I had an aversion to food after breaking up with my ex, and will either not eat or throw up everytime I eat. And I took pride in that (it is really a mental thing too); the counsellor helped me see that I felt "food/eating" was the only control I felt I had left then, which was why I felt pride when I can stop eating...cos then I felt I had control in my life.

I am not sure how long it took for me to slowly regain my love for food again. Now I do eat, but in moderation, though at times I still pigged out, but no more throwing up for me now.

Do take care, buttercup. Good health is precious

Comment

buttercup! i share your feelings..for me....mine is a mild case..whenever i eat more or guilty food, i find myself puking...tryingt o force myself..sometimes i know im full but i keep popping food den i end up vomit....i read up mani articles on the concequences but i cant stop it..i just..
                      once i derive myself from food....but in the end after a week i end up eating more gaining more...i become depress, irriated, frustrated, nothing seems nice, lose interest in everyting. i hate myself and can't overcome it. my menses become very irregeular...

it really take a lot of effort to make yrself know that u got to overcome it otherwise life will be miserable.. give yrself hope...eat yr breakfast....lunch tea break then dinner..and you wont keep feeling hungry....let yrself eat your fav food once in a while..

your problem could be same as me as we keep away our fav or sinful food away for too long that once we eat we cant stop..slowly ***.i can do it..u can too..

im slowly recoving...u mus too!

Comment

diet = harm

Orthorexia Nervosa: Healthy Eating Gone Overboard Orthorexia is emerging as a new kind of eating disorder characterized by a nutritional obsession with eating healthy to the extreme. Orthorexia nervosa is a new term coined by Steven Bratman, M.D. who first described the condition, and is derived from the Greek "orthos" meaning correct or straight, and "orexis" meaning appetite.

While orthorexia nervosa is not yet a formal medical condition, it is accepted by many nutritionists and doctors as a possible explanation for a new wave of health phenomenon.

Get insight on orthorexia, when good healthy eating turned bad.

What Is Othorexia Nervosa?
                        While it is normal for people to make changes to their diet to improve their health, treat a specific ailment or lose weight, orthorexics become overly preoccupied with the concern.

There's nothing wrong with individuals who are on a dietary transition phase to pay more attention to what types of food they are eating. But once adjusted, this concern should quickly decrease as the new dietary regime becomes a healthy habit.

In the case of orthorexia nervosa, people remain obsessed with what types of food they allow themselves to eat, and feel guilty if they stray from their self-imposed food rules.

Orthorexia vs Anorexia
                        Orthorexia may seem to resemble the well-known eating disorder anorexia, but there are marked differences between the 2 conditions:

Anorexics are obsessed with the quantity of food intake while othorexics become fixated on the quality of their food.

Instead of an obsessive desire to lose weight as characterized by anorexia, orthorexics are more concerned with healthy eating than with their weight.

Dangers of Othorexia
                        In their quest for dietary purity, orthorexics may become progressively more restrictive about what they eat, for example avoiding fatty food, those containing preservatives or artificial flavorings or even those that are not labelled as organic food. Long-term malnutrition can lead to severe health complications and even death.

Diet With Moderation
                        When it comes to changing your diet, aim for a practical and gradual approach. Diet with moderation, and make changes in food choices gradually. The correct healthy diet should not compromise your quality of life, nor have a negative effect on your lifestyle or relationships with others.

Bratman Test for Orthorexia
                        Take the Bratman Test for otherexia to check if your diet is really on the right track, or it's becoming an obsession:
                         Do you spend more than 3 hours a day thinking about your diet?
                         Do you plan your meals several days ahead?
                         Is the nutritional value of your meal more important than the pleasure of eating it?
                         Has the quality of your life decreased as the quality of your diet has increased?
                         Have you become stricter with yourself lately?
                         Does your self-esteem get a boost from eating healthily?
                         Have you given up food you used to enjoy in order to eat the ?right? food?
                         Does your diet make it difficult for you to eat out, distancing you from family and friends?
                         Do you feel guilty when you stray from your diet?
                         Do you feel at peace with yourself and in total control when you eat healthily?

Yes to 4 or 5 of the above questions means it is time to relax more about food.
                        Yes to all of them means a full-blown obsession with eating healthy food.

Comment

Bulimia

My close friend undego bulimia. its a real scary way to slim down from wad i *** on net. wad shld i tell her. pls help!!!

Comment

Go seek psychiatric help?

Comment

any sg girls a bulimic?

Comment

Working...
                              X