Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Salsa lovers!

Hi hi,

I'm just a beginner and I really love salsa. Just wondering how many of you out there dance too?

I really envious of really good dancers, I'm wondering how long does it take you to get that good? And where did you guys learn? I'm currenlty learning at Clementi CC under this really great instructor Joshua.

I mainly dance swing but have dabbled in salsa occasionally. As for how long it takes to become good, it really depends on individuals. Some people are natural and pick up steps quickly whereas others will need a lot more practice. If you really want to excel, social dancing is very important. It's not enough to just go for classes, you'll have to learn to follow (or to lead for guys) and to dance with different people. The more you social dance, the faster you improve. Once you become a good follower, dancing becomes much easier. When I first started doing salsa, I found it pretty easy to social dance even if I've never learnt a move before (provided I'm dancing with a good lead of course) due to what I learnt in swing about being a good follower.

Comment

Originally posted by majacqueline
      Hi hi,

I'm just a beginner and I really love salsa. Just wondering how many of you out there dance too?

I really envious of really good dancers, I'm wondering how long does it take you to get that good? And where did you guys learn? I'm currenlty learning at Clementi CC under this really great instructor Joshua.
      hi..i am learning at a cc too..which level are you? i am only elementry one

Comment

all i did was a 2 hour crash course with my friend who's a teacher and hit the dance floor immediately after that evening but it sure works up a great exercise for the whole body. i was aching like nothing the next day

Comment

Wow! Sounds like fun! How much are lessons usually?

Comment

Fern,

I'm at Beginner revision now, I have done Beginner 1,2, 3 and 4.

Jean,

its cheaper in the CCs IMHO, I pay about $75 for 8 one hour lessons.

Babyflite,

I agree about a good lead but sometimes I get very nervous and worried about following. Still trying to be a good follower. My hubby joins me so we get to practice quite often.

Comment

SO also wanted to teach me, he loves to salsa too. Hmm... Maybe I should take up classes.

Comment

you are luck y girls. . i can never find any guys who are willing to dance. my SO thinks he looks sissy but i love dancing!!!

Comment

majacqueline, I find that it really helps if you try not to think too much about the steps and just enjoy yourself. You'll be surprised at how your body will just naturally follow and move to the music. Also most leads don't mind even if you make mistakes as long as the both of you are having fun on the dance floor. I've only started going back to Salsa a month ago after not doing it for years and my first night social dancing there were heaps of moves I can't remember/don't know so I pretty much just tried to follow and make up my own moves.

kestrel, you don't have to go with a guy. When I first started doing swing I went with a few girlfriends and none of us brought a partner along. We still had heaps of fun anyway.

Comment

Do you have to dance with another guy in the class or with your girl friends if you have no partners?

Comment

I've the sudden urge to pick up salsa.

Anyone can recommend where is good which i can pick up for beginner? Can i still sign up if i aint got partner?

Majacqueline,, have you completed the course?

TIA

Comment

i took cheap salsa class with YMCA. you don't really need partners because there are many other students there. It's a 3 month course but I'm not sure if they're still offering it because I took it many years ago.

Comment

i took up salsa in may and sort of got hooked to it! almost doing it every nite now! ahhaha

its fun and definitely a good form of workout for a lazy bum like me.... whether its easy or not really depends... for me, i m quite anal abt being perfect abt my moves... so i find it quite tough... my instructor is kinda strict abt that so i gotta practise practise practise!

Comment

Originally posted by dovespaniel View Post
                            I've the sudden urge to pick up salsa.

Anyone can recommend where is good which i can pick up for beginner? Can i still sign up if i aint got partner?

Majacqueline,, have you completed the course?

TIA
                            dovespaniel: i took classes at JJ Salsa and i find the instructors very good! very patient n clear in their teachings!! initially i was very afraid as i'm quite anal when it comes to dancing haha but luckily my classmates were very very fun people! i took lessons from beginner class right up to intermediate level 2...they have it until level 4 but it's too difficult haha go for the weekend classes by jackson n june!! have fun!!

Comment

Hey maj... i used to take lessons at clementi cc too. Is ur teacher botak one? If yes, then i know him... U should go to union sq to practice ur salsa and then ur movement will improve.

Comment

Working...
                              X