• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read: Book

Do you read?

If you do, what kind?

Any recommendations?

Do you normally buy or rent?

If you buy, what happen to the books when you're done?

If you rent, where do you?

How often do you read?

(BTW, all reads except beauty magazines & newspapers count)

Do you read?

Yes!

If you do, what kind?

All kinds, except fantasy and Mills & Boons kind of romance

Any recommendations?

Hmm .. my latest read was "Can You Keep a Secret?" by Sophie Kinsella. Her other books like the famous Shopaholic series will appeal to everyone here.

If you want to go for classics, I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen.

And if you like travelling, go for Bill Bryson. His books are funny and witty, and very interesting.

Depends. Brit Lit I try to rent unless a new book comes out and I can't wait. Otherwise, I would try to rent. Good books (like those really thought provoking books, I would buy).

Storage. I just love to look at them in my book shelves!

Jurong Point. Nearest so that it won't be a dread for me to return them.

How often do you read?

When I took the bus to school a lot, I read then. Now, I hardly ever take the bus to school (either FH drives or I drive) so I read before sleeptime. But if the book's really page-turning, I would read anytime!
    Last edited by kare2711; 30-03-2003, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Re: Read: books

Do you read?
      Yes!

If you do, what kind?
      Fantasy, thriller, detective stories, comics, etc etc

Any recommendations?
      Depends on the specific genre, I'm a huge fan of David Eddings, Margaret Weis, Agatha Christie, Dean Koontz...

Buy, even if I visit the 2nd hand bookshop, I'll opt for buying them.

Keep them and to re-read them again.

Sam's Bookstore and others at Far East Plaza, Suntec and Jurong Point.

How often do you read?
      Everyday, before bedtime, while having breakfast.

*edited: remove [quote]*
      Last edited by admin; 30-03-2003, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Read: books

Do you read?
        not really

If you do, what kind?
        beauty related, or very popular books like, FISH or Rich Dad Poor Dad

Any recommendations?
        I think Fish is the most recent one i've read and really finish it. (That was last year though)

Buy, rental is troublesome to me, i wont be able to finish a book so quickly unless i am very interested in it

Hanging on the shelf then off to flea market to sell when i have a stall sometimes. If i am more hardworking, it will be in yahoo auction to sell

N/A

How often do you read?
        Only when i dont have my computer, or just before i sleep that very few minutes.

Comment

Do you read?
          Yes, not so often nowadays

If you do, what kind?
          Chinese: I love Chinese Martial novels by Jin Yong, Sci-fi by Ni Kuang, short stories by Zhang Xiao-xian or Yi Shu
          English: I like short stories by Jeffrey Archer and Roald Dahl and I've read Harry Potter-kind
          Japanese: I read my notes and homework :p

Any recommendations?
          depends on what kind of books you like

prefer to rent

left on the shelf, donated to Salvation Army

Holland Village, Clementi etc

How often do you read?
          depends on how free I am, and how absorbed I am.

Comment

Oooh yes, I do love Jeffrey Archer and Roald Dahl. The former is brilliant in short stories. Very idiosyncratic .. always with a twist at the end.

Comment

Re: Re: Read: books

Originally posted by autumnheart
              Do you read?
              Yes, not so often nowadays

If you do, what kind?
              Chinese: I love Chinese Martial novels by Jin Yong, Sci-fi by Ni Kuang, short stories by Zhang Xiao-xian or Yi Shu
              English: I like short stories by Jeffrey Archer and Roald Dahl and I've read Harry Potter-kind
              Japanese: I read my notes and homework :p

Any recommendations?
              depends on what kind of books you like

prefer to rent

left on the shelf, donated to Salvation Army

Holland Village, Clementi etc

How often do you read?
              depends on how free I am, and how absorbed I am.
              Keke Can borrow some some Chinese books from you?

Comment

Do you read?
                Not so often these days, with travel & discovery channel, discovery, national geo and the likes of it

If you do, what kind?
                Anything, from fantasy (e.g david eddings, harry potter) to children books ( Shel Silverstein) San Wen ( e.g. Zhang Ai Ling) Historical Paradors, Business books ( e.g The McKinsey Way)
                Latest attempt: Zhong Guo Tong Shi, in comics, 8 books and still struggling with the confusing Zhan Guo Qi Xiong (maybe playing computer games will help clear up that confusion)
                Never like Ni Kuang, and re-read Jin Yong too many times.

Any recommendations?

Usually try to exchange books with friends, only buy those that I would like to keep.
                The rest, read in bookstores.

Shelf it, and re-read. Some goes out on loans

Hardly rent books.

How often do you read?
                Use to carry a book wherever I go, now, hardly... I read forums even b4 I sleep!

Comment

Do you read?
                  Yes...or at least, I TRY to.

If you do, what kind?
                  Anything and everything! I've been experimental with contemporary fiction but there's a lot of trash out there these days too, so I find myself returning to the classics.

I love 19th century literature...especially from the French authors. I love Japanese modernist writers too.

I also try to read non-fiction. Stuff like F. Fukuyama etc.

Any recommendations?
                  The classics, definitely. They're not classics for nothing!

Buy. From Kinokuniya, mostly.

I keep them! I have an immense library. Almost every book is worth a second, or third reading. When you revisit books, you will find that you interpret certain episodes or statements differently because you have changed as a person yourself too. Reading Lord of the Rings when you're 12 and when you're 21 is a HUGE difference!

How often do you read?
                  All the time! Although sometimes I'm really busy so I don't have time to read as much as I would like to.

Comment

Do you read?

Yup! But not as much nowadays as I used to.

If you do, what kind?

Everything except for romance. I love sci-fi and fantasy.

Any recommendations?

I finished "Geisha of Gion" by Mineko Iwasaki a while back and I started on a book based on the true life story of Elizabeth Bathory, the "blood countess" who lived in 16th century Hungary. She was a sadistic serial killer who tortured (she has torture chambers at home filled with torturing devices) and killed an estimated 650 virgin girls before she got caught and sentenced to house arrest for the rest of her life. Legend also says that she bathe in the girls blood to keep herself youthful. Morbid and perverse but strangly fascinating.

Buy. I rented lots when I was in sec school though, especially comics!

Keep them! But I believe my parents gave all my books back in Singapore away when they moved over to NZ last year.

Sunny bookshop at Far East Plaza. Not sure if its still there though.

How often do you read?

Not as often as I would like. I read a lot back in secondary school. But ever since JC I havent really has much time to read. Nowadays I only tend to read more during the school hols. Most of the time the only thing I read now is readings for school! Not to mention there are just too many other distractions such as my PS2 and of coz CC so that really doesnt leave much time for leisure reading.

Comment

Originally posted by pandora76

Any recommendations?
                      The classics, definitely. They're not classics for nothing!
                      Sounds interesting! I've always have something for classics, just need to know how to get started. Any particular recommendations for a beginner?

*edited: [quote]
                      Last edited by admin; 30-03-2003, 12:58 PM.

Comment

<font color = "blue">Do you read?
                        <font color = "red">YEP!

<font color = "blue">If you do, what kind?
                        <font color = "red">Novels - chicklit, horror, thriller, travel, contemporary(?)
                        Authors like Sophie Kinsella, Janet Evanovich, Nick Earls, Tom Clancy (when i feel like it).
                        Have almost the entire collection of Robin Cook, Jeffrey Archer, Anne Rice, Ken Follett and Frederick Forsyth.
                        Now have Mike Gayle - Turning Thrity and Sarah Ingram - Kissing Frogs on my "bought and to read later" list.
                        Also like the Girls Night In, Big Night Out, Boys Night In series.

<font color = "blue">Any recommendations?
                        <font color = "red"> refer above.
                        also, Jung (something?) - Wild Swans, Ha Jin - Waiting, Adeline Mah - Watching the Tree to Catch a Rabbit. Memoirs of a Geisha (i forget the author)

<font color = "blue">Do you normally buy or rent?
                        <font color = "red">Buy. i can't bear to return the books! i like my personal library!

<font color = "blue">If you buy, what happen to the books when you're done?
                        <font color = "red"> Goes into my ever expanding library in the cupboard.
                        (man, the sweet dreams and sweet valley high from donkey years ago is still in the store room too!)

<font color = "blue">If you rent, where do you?
                        <font color = "red">Sunny Bookshop in FEP or San Bookshop in OUB center

<font color = "blue">How often do you read?
                        <font color = "red">Not as often as i'd like. used to read before sleep, on the bus, waiting for bus....anywhere and everywhere. but now, i think i'm getting less tolerant of reading while travelling. aging lah!

Comment

Re: Re: Read: books

Originally posted by vixette
                          (man, the sweet dreams and sweet valley high from donkey years ago is still in the store room too!)
                          lol! i still have my huge collection of sweet valley high books too, well that is if my parents didnt give them away last year. i have no idea. have a feeling they gave away my entire library of books in singapore....

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Read: books

Originally posted by baobei
                            Keke Can borrow some some Chinese books from you?
                            I need to dig them out.
                            Those Zhang Xiao Xian ones should be around somewhere, the rest are either sold or given away.

Comment

Didn't realise that Chinese literature is so well-received with young people!

Just want to recommend one more Chinese title...Chu Liu Xiang. My father has this set which is written in modern chinese and read from left to right instead of up to down. And very enjoyable, sort of a mixture of detective and martial art.

Comment

Working...
                              X