Lindy / Swing dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindy / Swing dance

Yesterday I was at chijmes watching the jazz concert, and this couple, (i know the girl's frm nus jazz club) started dancin to the music. It was a very nice dance, looked a little like lindy but im not sure if it was....does anyone know what kind of dance goes with cool jazz?

Hahahahaha!!! IT IS LINDY!! I was dancing there too! (maroon top/purple skorts) There was a big bunch of us down there
    The girl is Jo

Now that we've swung it,
    You, come on down and learn it.
    Then you'll swing it.
    Pahb pahb pahb beepdow!
    Yeah!

Comment

where did u guys learn it from??
      it looks really nice... and are u from nus too? dont rem seeing anyone else dance the lindy though....only saw the couple.. and some couples at the other end dancing. and a lady shaking her leg and grossing us all out.. hahaa.

Comment

paphio- whats the diff between lindy and east coast swing??
        oh and the abt lessons at jitterbugs, is it scary to learn dance?? haha. cos im so traumatised by my ballet experience, that im so afraid i'll screw up and embarrass myself...

Comment

The easiest explaination, East Coast Swing is made up of 6 counts whereas Lindy Hop has both 8 counts and 6 counts. Lindy Hop also has considerably more kicks and styling compared to East Coast Swing. It's not easy to explain, but go do classes and you'll find out! And no swing dancing is not hard to pick up at all. I picked up Lindy Hop a couple years back, and in spite of not having done any dancing since ballet as a little girl, I didn't have any difficulty with Swing. The most important thing is not to be worried about making mistakes and just enjoy yourself.

Comment

You must have left quite early then and sat with the stage towards your right? Mandy Gaines was the last act, we love her, she loves us. Lots of dancing

As babyflite as explained, one stark difference between East Coast (ECS) and Lindy is the counts.

I say, enrol straight into Lindy I. ECS is very easily picked up on the dance floor and already incorporated into Lindy I syllabus

Comment

I missed this concert. How was it? Remember that I went last year, for an hour or so on one of the days, and while I was there, the jazz weren't as fantastic as I thought it would be.

Comment

Pixash, try out Lindy! there is a Lindy group in NUS and i went for a couple of classes before..its fun! think i might want to pick this up more (very fun, alot of laughter and the Lindy ppl are really nice & cheerful!) & its affordable in school too ($10 a sem i think...).

Comment

go for it pixash! took a couple of trial lessons from paph... it IS fun... no worries, ballet, you're responsible for everything, in couple dances, it's always the guy's fault! wait a minute,.... why am i telling you this?!

Comment

Is anyone still lindy hopping in Singapore?

I just found out that a friend of mine may be going to Singapore for 2 yrs! Which means I may come out for a visit! I was curious if there was any lindy hopping there and searched and found this thread (from 2003 though?! Yikes!)

Well, there are still lots of lindhoppers all over the states. (www.ccswing.com or www.yehoodi.com ) Let me know if you're still swingin'!

Comment

I love Lindy Hop! It's so much fun!
                      I've stopped doing the lindy for years.. think i'll pick it up again soon!

Comment

spbear, check out www.swingapore.com. I believe they are one of the largest if not the largest swing dance school in Asia. I started learning Lindy there back in 1998 and did it intensely for a whole year, awesome experience.

Comment

very cool!

Thanks so much! Some day...I'm coming to Singapore to shop, hang out, lindy, shop. Hee-hee! Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                          X