Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Violin lessons

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Violin lessons

    Would love to learn to play the instrument. Am afraid I can't afford it. Anyone has any info about costs of lessons? Any music school that offers them to adults?

  • #2
    My gf took up violin lessons this year. After doing some researching, she settled for Cristofori. They have one-to-one classes for adults which my friend settled for. Each lesson is half an hour. After 2 months, she decided to drop out because of communication problems with her Chinese teacher.

    She then went to some private school over at Katong. Just before she left the Katong school again, the kind teacher offered his contact no. just in case my friend can afford the time one day. If you like, I can ask her to pass me the contact no. of the teacher.

    Gramercy at Katong has a good selection of musical instruments.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks so much, Rac! If I need the contact num, I'll PM you! I'll go find out more from the 2 places you mentioned.

      Comment


      • #4
        hi Glossie! i play the violin...

        i think you can go to Synwin to choose a good quality instrument... it's the place many musicians go to to buy instruments. it's located at Tanjong Katong Complex, opposite of Paya Lebar MRT Station, top floor. it's a level above 2nd Chance jewellry, if it helps.

        they also offer violin lessons there i think...

        i would give you my ex-violin teacher's no. , except i lost it already! he was a very nice kind teacher, very patient and always smiling. he plays with the SSO... if i find the no. i'll pass it on to you! i think the fees should be something like $200 a month for a one hour lesson for a group lesson

        Comment


        • #5
          Islande, thanks for all that info. $200 a month I almost passed out.. Can't afford an instrument either! How to proceed???

          Comment


          • #6
            maybe my price's a little steep, i'm not sure what's the market rate :huh: but, certainly those commercial music schools would be cheaper.

            oh yeah, i used the Suzuki method, which i found very comprehensive. you may wanna look out for this as well...

            Glossie, an instrument can be as cheap as $100 for a China made violin to a few hundred thousand for an Italian or German violin. if you intend to keep your instrument for some time and wish to make a slight investment, i'd advise getting a German/European instrument around a thousand dollars or more... but i think it's risky if you go get it on your own.. if possible, bring someone who is skilled in the instrument and can help you see if the instrument is of good quality -- resonant, clear, sweet sound.

            also, there are extras you'd need to purchase -- the case, the bow, and the shoulder rest and resin (for the bow hair). also, spare strings. altogether, an extra $300 or so should be due i think...

            but if you want the cheap alternative, i'd think $400 may get you the very basics...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Glossie
              Islande, thanks for all that info. $200 a month I almost passed out.. Can't afford an instrument either! How to proceed???

              Glossie, what's your budget for the instrument?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mint_infused
                Glossie, what's your budget for the instrument?
                The thing is, I don't know the market rates. I kept having this notion in my head I won't need to get the instrument.. like how it was in JC days: just head for the music room, take out any instrument, and go practise.

                I guess a cheap one will do. I won't know the difference anyway. $200 a month for lessons is really above me.

                Islande, thanks for all that info anyway!

                Comment


                • #9
                  you're welcome, Glossie

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Glossie
                    The thing is, I don't know the market rates. I kept having this notion in my head I won't need to get the instrument.. like how it was in JC days: just head for the music room, take out any instrument, and go practise.

                    I guess a cheap one will do. I won't know the difference anyway. $200 a month for lessons is really above me.

                    Islande, thanks for all that info anyway!
                    Actually it depends on how well you would like to play the instrument... some pple take it up as leisure, no high expectations, while there are some who are quite fussy with teachers coz they want to play it really fantastic. These teachers do charge more if they are really that good (they have higher qualification normally).

                    Probably try music schools (like Christofori) for a more economical rate (but the teachers' qualifications may vary), and perhaps they could help you source for an instrument too?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mint_infused
                      Actually it depends on how well you would like to play the instrument... some pple take it up as leisure, no high expectations, while there are some who are quite fussy with teachers coz they want to play it really fantastic.
                      Goodness. If I can so much as hold a single note w/o breaking, I'm thankful enuf. It's tough! When your fingers are no longer agile and the musical aptitude long gone since 20 years ago, I must be senile to expect to play fantastic.

                      Any shops that sell second-hand instruments at reasonable prices?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Hey Glossie,

                        My friend is not that young too. Being able to play the violin has been her childhood dream so it's never too late!

                        She bought the cheapest range of violin made in China just to save money and she regretted big time now. Btw, she was also on a 'budget learning'. She mentioned that she could have gotten a mid-range one. The quality of the pitch (layman's) really differs. I've heard it myself.

                        My younger sis used to learn the violin when she was five....unwillingly. She conveniently lost her expensive violin after one lesson

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by raebelasian
                          Hey Glossie,


                          She bought the cheapest range of violin made in China just to save money and she regretted big time now. Btw, she was also on a 'budget learning'. She mentioned that she could have gotten a mid-range one. The quality of the pitch (layman's) really differs. I've heard it myself.

                          My younger sis used to learn the violin when she was five....unwillingly. She conveniently lost her expensive violin after one lesson
                          rachel is right.. you CAN hear the difference. i had a china violin for awhile, then i bought a german one.

                          but if you truly want to learn it first and not worry abt instruments costing so much, do get the cheaper ones first.

                          Rachel, she LOST it!!???!!! OUCH.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Glossie
                            Goodness. If I can so much as hold a single note w/o breaking, I'm thankful enuf. It's tough! When your fingers are no longer agile and the musical aptitude long gone since 20 years ago, I must be senile to expect to play fantastic.

                            Any shops that sell second-hand instruments at reasonable prices?
                            instruments tend to have very little second hand value, so i think there aren't any second-hand shops selling them. hmm. but you could check out the Synwin place i told you about. maybe they do...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by islande
                              instruments tend to have very little second hand value, so i think there aren't any second-hand shops selling them.
                              So, the mid-range ones are from Germany? Any names? If there're people giving up their mid-range German ones at good prices, that'd be swell.

                              Keke.. maybe I should hook up with some orchestra guy for this purpose.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X