Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer Software/Hardware Help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Computer Software/Hardware Help

    Hey girls, i know nuts :sotong: about protecting my computer so would appreciate if you all could give some advice...i think i should install a firewall on my comp. to stop unwanted "attention", but i don't know how and where i shld get it...i know there're some online sources, anyone knows the website?

    reason being i think there's alot of excess usage on my comp. thus slowing it down a great deal...cos' my comp. is fairly new with pentium4...it shouldn't be this slow...and i don't know what's causing this excess usage...and also how to block cookies??

    sorry but i'm not a techno-girl, thanx you all for your help!

  • #2
    hi pauline!

    to block cookies you just need to go to your internet options. go to privacy and change your settings to a level that will block off cookies. a good one to pick would be medium high or high.

    as for your computer being slow, you might want to check all the programs that start up automatically when your computer is switched on. go to start>run and then type in msconfig. from there go to startup and you can see the list of programs that start up automatically when you boot up your computer. disable the programs that you do not use.

    as for a firewall program, i'm currently testing out a program called ZoneAlarm Pro. this program can help you to restrict access from other computers/websites, cookies control, blockage of popup ads etc. been testing it for a couple days and it seems pretty good so far. i'm not sure where you can download it though. the file is almost 4MB so too huge to email to you. PM me if you're interested in the program and i'll think of some way to get it to you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by babyflite
      hi pauline!

      as for a firewall program, i'm currently testing out a program called ZoneAlarm Pro. this program can help you to restrict access from other computers/websites, cookies control, blockage of popup ads etc. been testing it for a couple days and it seems pretty good so far. i'm not sure where you can download it though. the file is almost 4MB so too huge to email to you. PM me if you're interested in the program and i'll think of some way to get it to you.
      2nd the zone alarm pro too! Am using it on my home computer now.

      Comment


      • #4
        thanx Nic for the link!

        and thank you Erica for the advice...i did go to system config. and was quite ocnfused looking at all the programmes...don't know which to disable and which to not...so i just disable a few lah...anyway thanx you all!

        Comment


        • #5
          U have enough memory too? 128 wasn't enough for me, I added another 128 and the PC just got sme kind of Vit C boost Kekeke


          Do house keeping. get Diskeeper and run it daily to compact your HDD.


          As for firewall no idea, on LAN at home, so itself is a firewall.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pauline
            thanx Nic for the link!

            and thank you Erica for the advice...i did go to system config. and was quite ocnfused looking at all the programmes...don't know which to disable and which to not...so i just disable a few lah...anyway thanx you all!
            no worries. oh and you should probably do regular maintainance like running a disk defragmenter. windows should have a defragmenter but norton systemwork is another good software as it can also diagnose simple window problems and has a very good antivirus program amongst other features.

            and thanks for posting up the link sky!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by babyflite
              no worries. oh and you should probably do regular maintainance like running a disk defragmenter. windows should have a defragmenter but norton systemwork is another good software as it can also diagnose simple window problems and has a very good antivirus program amongst other features.

              and thanks for posting up the link sky!
              yeah i do defrag. regularly....i think maybe my RAM not enough...it's only 128 my comp. from DELL you think they have upgrading service?? and how much??

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Pauline
                yeah i do defrag. regularly....i think maybe my RAM not enough...it's only 128 my comp. from DELL you think they have upgrading service?? and how much??
                you can probably go to sim lim and buy the RAM to install yourself, save money! if you get DELL to ungrade for you they'll definitely charge you more.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by babyflite
                  you can probably go to sim lim and buy the RAM to install yourself, save money! if you get DELL to ungrade for you they'll definitely charge you more.
                  8O RAM can be installed on my own?? hehe...sorry i'm really a sotong when it comes to computers :sotong: alright will ask my friends about it instead of bombarding you all with qsns~ anyway thanx!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Pauline
                    8O RAM can be installed on my own?? hehe...sorry i'm really a sotong when it comes to computers :sotong: alright will ask my friends about it instead of bombarding you all with qsns~ anyway thanx!
                    yes yes, but you need to open up the computer. its pretty easy, i'm sure one of your guy friend (sorry for the sexist statement) will know how to do it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It's fairly easy to instal the RAM. You can even ask if anyone has computers they don't want. Attack the CPU and steal their RAM!!! Save $$$

                      That's what one of my gf did. She know nuts about computer but managed somehow. Just look for something that's rows of 8. Hope I make sense!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by raebelasian
                        It's fairly easy to instal the RAM. You can even ask if anyone has computers they don't want. Attack the CPU and steal their RAM!!! Save $$$

                        That's what one of my gf did. She know nuts about computer but managed somehow. Just look for something that's rows of 8. Hope I make sense!
                        hmm...but it's pretty toublesome...must open the CPU and put it in.... :sotong:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pauline
                          hmm...but it's pretty toublesome...must open the CPU and put it in.... :sotong:
                          Aiyoh...can save money leh!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by raebelasian
                            Aiyoh...can save money leh!
                            yes yes, save money and buy more makeup! hahaha

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: ~Computer security~

                              Originally posted by Pauline
                              Hey girls, i know nuts :sotong: about protecting my computer so would appreciate if you all could give some advice...i think i should install a firewall on my comp. to stop unwanted "attention", but i don't know how and where i shld get it...i know there're some online sources, anyone knows the website?

                              reason being i think there's alot of excess usage on my comp. thus slowing it down a great deal...cos' my comp. is fairly new with pentium4...it shouldn't be this slow...and i don't know what's causing this excess usage...and also how to block cookies??

                              sorry but i'm not a techno-girl, thanx you all for your help!
                              Will say my piece here in the comfort of my room...

                              Connecting your pc to the internet w/o using a firewall and anti-virus s/w is like leaving your house door unlocked when you go for a holiday. If you are lucky, you will come home to find that all is well but it's still risky.

                              Beside ZoneAlarm, you can try Sygate's Personal Firewall

                              Link to free download for Sygate

                              For free anti-virus s/w, can try Grisoft's AVG 6 Anti-Virus Systems.

                              Link to Grisoft AVG

                              AVG isn't the greatest at catching latest known viruses but this is better than nothing. Remember to get the latest updates from the site. My bf's using this and so far no problems encountered. *touch wood*

                              Also keep in mind that download and install from Microsoft if you are using their o/s. This will prevent viruses to exploit the flaws in your pc program.

                              Go windowsupdate.microsoft.com

                              There are a whole lot of stuff to take note of as well like what Babyflite mentioned, COOKIES!

                              It's gonna sound very tech-cy and long. Let me know if you like to know more.

                              Another thing to take note of if you are using Outlook Express. Please disable your email message preview panel to doubly ensure that viral mail stays inert.

                              Please good care of your computers and privacy. I know the lives of some gals revolve round the computer. I am one of them...

                              HTHs....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X