Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery Lesson

always want to learn this..
    anybody tried before & know of a place has classes?

place venue
    fee
    time
    beginner course?

Last edited by ibonne; 29-12-2003, 10:34 AM.

Hey!! I've posted quite a few times about pottery before I left but I think the posts got deleted while I was gone.

Anyway, I took up pottery about 2 months before i left and i LOVED it. I was attending lessons at my uncle's shop in Bras Basah Complex, it's called Contemporary Clay Studio, run and managed by real artists. It's a really really lovely atmostphere and the instructors are really patient guys.

In fact, I'm probably going down today!!

Comment

really!
      excited already!

xue, can you let me know more info on the course? TIA
      are you going for more, intermediate?

are they open this weekend too?
      would like to pop by...

Comment

I saw one banner in Bras Basah but didn't go to see the shop. The unit number is #02-58, maybe that's the one ataraxia mentioned. There's another one on the 3rd floor. You can get more info from their website http://www.clayworkers.com
        HTH!

Comment

thank you!

i was surfing net for a website & couldn't find one...

happy new year 2004!

Comment

My hubby takes pottery lessons at Whampoa CC. I think it costs something like SGD$150 for 10 lessons. You have to pay for your own materials seperately, but I think overall it's pretty affordable. They have lessons for beginners, intermediate and advanced. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by ibonne
              really!
              excited already!

xue, can you let me know more info on the course? TIA
              are you going for more, intermediate?

are they open this weekend too?
              would like to pop by...
              hey dear! My uncle's store in Contemporary Clay Studio. ClayWorkers only offer handbuilding IIRC, because they don't have the facilities for throwing (pottery on the wheel).

I can't really remember, but the average cost of a seven week course is S$270. You could choose to do handbuilding (where you build your 'pot' by hand) or pottery on the wheel. these seven classes include materials needed and free studio time - this means you're free to come back to the studio to practise any other time during the week, though you must buy your own material during these practice sessions.

I hope this helps!

Comment

thanks for all info, gals!

been busy shopping & didn't went down to check things out yet

i would like to try the pottery on wheel instead..

Comment

They offer pottery on wheel @ Whampoa CC, but that's considered pretty advanced stuff. You'll have to start with tedious hand pottery first. I dropped out at this level before I could even proceed to the next becuz I couldn't stand getting clay stuck in my fingernails all the time. I'm useless!

Comment

nah nobody is useless, cate

hmm guess they have to let you be 'familiar' with clay making first, moulding & then you can proceed to be on wheel!

the difficult part is on the wheel, i believe.
                    hard to mould them up right? control the wheel while you spin?

i don't keep nails because i hate to have things stuck too..

Comment

erm, sorry but i beg to differ.

handbuilding and throwing are pretty different. even the type of clay used is different (handbuilding one dries faster and is less elastic).

throwing seems harder but frankly, it isn't. you just need to concentrate, which is what many people find difficult i guess. but i find it lots easier and prettier than handbuilding!

Comment

thanks for clarifying.

only a guess..

Comment

Originally posted by ibonne
                          nah nobody is useless, cate

hmm guess they have to let you be 'familiar' with clay making first, moulding & then you can proceed to be on wheel!

the difficult part is on the wheel, i believe.
                          hard to mould them up right? control the wheel while you spin?

i don't keep nails because i hate to have things stuck too..
                          I have no blinking clue about moulding and wheel techniques. I dropped out at the clay kneading phase, remember?

Comment

bumping this thread.

interested to learn throwing. any place that offer classes for beginners? i'm totally new to this..

Comment

I saw NAFA offering a course on ceramics. Is this the same as pottery? Confused...

Comment

Working...
                              X