Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Applicances | Homewares

Where do you like to shop for yours?

I like to get ideas or stuff from Tangs and Robinsons.

Same here! I got OXO and Philips stuff at Tangs, Hankook and Anchor Hocking stuff at Robinsons and WMF and Bodum stuff at Takashimaya. Ikea's not bad for small items like colanders and measuring spoons.

Comment

For kitchen appliances, I prefer to go to bigger shops like Harvey Norman or Best to see the different models and to do comparison of features. But when it comes to actual buying, I prefer to get from smaller shops in heartland area cos they give better prices for the same items and even throw in free delivery

As for kitchen wares, that will depend on where I can find designs that catch my eyes and attention Got most of mine from Tangs though

Comment

I echo Vonnie .. go to the bigger places to browse big ticket applicances like fridge, washing machine, dryer, dishwashers ... we then write the model numbers down& have a neighbourhood shop send them to us. We managed to save quite a bit that way.

Kitchenwares .. Taka, Tangs & Robinsons are great. They always have some sort of offfer or another ...

Comment

For large electric appliances(tv, fridge, oven, washer, dryer, etc... ), we usually get ours from Best denki cause somehow we just feel more comfortable buying from them- eg, don't have to worry about being cheated(price-wise), bad service (if the service is bad, at least there is somewhere to feedback to), and delivery hazards. For smaller kitchen ware (pots, pans, cutlery, crockery), we like Taka, Robinsons and John Little, esp during their sale period.

Comment

Yes, we managed to save quite a bit by ordering from neighbourhood shops and we didn't really have to worry about the authenticity of the goods since they come with the same warranty that is offered in bigger stores too

Oh, if you need some simple assembly of the items, these shops usually will just do it for you at no additional charges too Moreover, since they are small shops, you can do any form of feedback directly to the boss and they *are usually* very accomodating since it is their own business. Anyway, this is just sharing my own opinion and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie
              For kitchen appliances, I prefer to go to bigger shops like Harvey Norman or Best to see the different models and to do comparison of features. But when it comes to actual buying, I prefer to get from smaller shops in heartland area
              Me too!

I got most of my large appliances from small shops in Alexandra Village. Those are the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

Harvey Norman/Best have really high overheads.

Comment

Originally posted by stellat
                go to the bigger places to browse big ticket applicances like fridge, washing machine, dryer, dishwashers
                Ditto! I go to bigger stores to browse before I make my purchases at the smaller neighbourhood store. I like to get them from a store named Maximum Credit.

For kitchenwares, I got mine from Taka, Tangs, and Robinsons too.
                Last edited by dolphin; 21-06-2004, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Water Heater

Need suggestions.

I need to buy a water heater and I'm absolutely clueless on

1. what I should look out for,
                  2. what brand is good,
                  3. what are the 'functions' I should be aware of,
                  4. what's a reasonable price,
                  5. where is a good place to shop
                  6. Do I need to 'assemble' (fix, install whatever you call it )

Help appreciated

Comment

I second Maximum Credit.
                    Frequent the one in Alexandra Village.

Comment

Re: Water Heater

It depends on whether you are looking for the storage tank heater or electric water heater. Most people use the latter for standing shower as you get warm water almost instantaneously once the power is switch on, unlike the storage tank, where you have to wait for a little while for the water to be heated up. The latter is installed mainly for use in bathtubs. AFAIK only one unit of electric water heater can only be used in one bathroom for one shower unit.

Guidelines from S'pore Power on Conservation of Electricity:
                      - Install instantaneous water heaters for bathing purposes.
                      - If you have a storage heater, switch it on for about 20 minutes before taking a bath, then switch it off after use.
                      - When buying a storage water heater, use the following as a guide: a capacity of 23- 27 litres is suitable for a family of four to six persons.

What to look out for:
                      - One that has sticker(s) showing it has complied with the Standards stipulated by PUB.
                      - Functions :
                      * Temperature control
                      * Auto cut-off to prevent overheating/scalding
                      * High & low water pressure
                      * Power & overheating lamps
                      - Comes with shower set (spray)
                      - Installation: Check the with shop; they have their own electricians. Charges ranging from $35-$50.
                      - Price: Abt $180 - >$200 depending on model.

- Shops/Brands: Those that carry bathroom/kitchen accessories like Hoe Kee (reliable shop which has branches in Plaza Sing, Jln Berseh, IMM); or Courts. They carry brands like Techno gas, Redring, Ariston, etc)

HTH

Comment

Re: Water Heater

BTW found that there's another type of Gas Heaters from City Gas (subsidiary of Power S'pore)

Here's the link:
                        http://www.citygas.com.sg/faqs.htm

Comment

cassia, those are very helpful information! Thanks a lot

Comment

We got a Storage Heater(only needed for both bathrooms). Having said that, my hubby is too lazy to do the wiring part. Brand: LA. Based on my "2 years ago" memories, we were told it's internal structure is stainless steel (that was also written and labelled outside of the storage heater) unlike another brand (oh no, i couldn't recall the name now!) . Yes, Like Cassia has mentioned, besides having to wait a while for the water to heat up, you also can save electricity bills the next day. IIRC, it can store up to a certain many litres of water.

Pardon me, my memory is really deterioting.

Comment

Yup, dolphin, I know what you mean. My bf's house is using this kind of storage heater. However, I think the storage tank is a little unsightly and it needs to be fixed professionally, ya?

At least that's what I thought. There are the usual pipes and sure looks complicated to me. His brand is called "Everhot". Blah...what a name

Can you remember how much you paid your storage heater for?

Comment

Working...
                              X