Science Fiction and Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Fiction and Fantasy

I'm just curious... which other cotter reads this genre? I love reading Fantasy books...like stuff by George R.R Martin, Robin Hobb, David Gemmell, Raymond E Feist...and so on...

I used to think it was such a boy thing ...Until I finally tried one when I was 16....and got hooked ever since!

Not sure if this counts as sci-fi but I'm a big fan of the Dune series by Frank Herbert.

Same here -- used to think that it's a boy thing but that first book just drew me into that world he created. Was totally hooked after that! My ultimate form of escapism!

Comment

I used to adore fantasy! I read David Eddings, Robert Jordan, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (Is this how you spell it? Can't remember)

Now I prefer crime novels (big fan of CSI here)!

Comment

Me too! But I've stopped. David Eddings was what I went crazy over when i was err.. 13. I read and re read the whole of the Belgariad and the Mallorean (any fans?) as well as the "biographies' of Polgara and Belgarath. Was hauled to the office for reading under the table..

haha. But went thru half of Jordan's Wheel of time (?) or something series after that and couldn't keep up. gave up the genre all together!

Comment

lol lolitapop! Me tooo!! I keep rereading and rereading the 'biographies' of Polgara and Belgarath. Also read David Eddings Sparhawk series - The Shining ones, The Hidden City etc...

I actually went through most of the series of Robert Jordan book 1 to book 10 i think. The problem with this is that its so long (Each book is about a 1000++ pages) that by the time I read the end books I forgot what is mentioned in the front. So... I essentially gave up. Ack!

Comment

My fiction staple since secondary school days. I've rather grown out of Eddings now, and never liked Jordan. My favourite authors are probably Pratchett and C.J. Cherryh (worlds apart, but both sublime in their own ways). In the past few years, I haven't found any new faves, though, rather disappointingly. I can only wait for my old favourites to come out with new stuff!

Comment

Oh boy! There are like-minded cotters! I started out with David Eddings as well, finished the whole series, then jumped onto Raymond E Feist, finished that, then went searching for more!

101mynxes, I loved Dune...but only the 1st 2 books, and I couldn't read finish the rest as it became too technical for me!

Robert Jordan I could get through, it got pretty amusing with all the bossy women...a bit over the top sometimes though..

Anyway, for those who have stopped, you HAVE to try Robin Hobb's Mad Ship Series or George RR Martin. Robin Hobb's amazing, she writes so well, and her plots are superb...

oh and I can't go back to David Eddings anymore! I just read his The Redemption of Althalus and I was really turned off by the cheesy plot! But I really really adored him when I first started out...

Comment

yeah-he's great to 'start out' with. hhaha ;P But it's really cheesy now, a decade ago I couldv sworn you couldn't tear me away from them. I do like Gaiman, but novels wise only read American Gods, but adore ALL the graphic novels.

Comment

I wasn't so impressed with David Eddings when I read him, because I thought he really ripped off too much from the Lord of the Rings series. But I guess I read him too late, I was 18 when I read the Belgariad! (most people read him earlier i think)

Oh! I really loved The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb, though. It's up there with Lord of the Rings as my favourite fantasy novels!!! I really loved the character of the Fool. The Tawny Man series, also by Hobb was pretty good as well, but the first series was definitely better. Haven't read the Liveship Traders, but I have a feeling that it isn't as good as the other two series. Is it?

Comment

Originally posted by 101mynxes
                    Not sure if this counts as sci-fi but I'm a big fan of the Dune series by Frank Herbert.
                    My first thoughts when I saw this thread. I didn't read it but watched the one with Sean Young in it.

I've been fascinated with Japanese Anime since young. I loved watching the sci-fi types. My last movie similar to such is Final Fantasy.

Comment

David Eddings is over rated. Was a fan when I was younger but his books are definitely more for young teens rather than adults.

George R.R Martin is probably my current favourite and ranks up there with Tolkein. I can't wait for the next book in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Another author that I really enjoyed is Melanie Rawn. Love her Dragon Prince and Dragon Star series, I used to read and reread them so many times. She's taking forever to wait the 3rd book of the Exiles series though.

I actually read more fantasy than sci-fi. Love sci-fi movies though. Was a huge huge fan of the X-Files back in the good old days. Was actually sort of disappointed with the Final Fantasy movie. Didn't live up to my expectation, the games had much better storylines.
                      Last edited by babyflite; 02-09-2004, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by conquistador
                        Haven't read the Liveship Traders, but I have a feeling that it isn't as good as the other two series. Is it?
                        Its really good! I like this better than the Tawny Man Series...The story's very unique...with ships that are alive, like its name suggests...Very mysterious.

Babyflite, I've been waiting forever for George RR Martin's next book! the last one I read was like 2, 3 years ago? Its quite funny because readers keep bombarding his site with 'When are you going to be done?' questions... and he's always like 'Wait! Its finishing soon!' every time. Great! I shall go check out Melanie Rawn...I like anything with dragons in it...I think you will like The Death Gate Series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman if you haven't read it already...

Glossie do you read those Japanese Comic books alot? Or just watch the shows?

I'm currently reading Tad Williams 'The Wall of Flowers' and also Sean Russell's 'The One Kingdom'.

Comment

lolitapop! I love Gaiman's graphic novels tooooo!! They're so beautiful! I have the whole collection of The Sandman (one of his best!) and a few other comics on his short stories too! I never read American Gods because I read one of his short story collections and I was kinda put off. He just doesn't cut it in prose.

I love it when he pairs up with Dave Mckean (e.g. in black orchid and on the cover of sandman) because their styles (storytelling and art) meld so well together! Have to admit I was actually lured into his stories by Mckean's Art (very surreal and gorgeous!). Both of them make such great comics that I just have to fork out the money to buy them and keep them. I read them over and over again (esp the Sandman) and each time I read I notice new things and references. Gaiman's plots are always sensitive and wonderfully paced, always thought provoking but never cheesy or overdone.

Glossie, I read japanese comics when I was younger (think 11-12) but they probably don't fall into this genre... (Sailormoon!!)

Ooh also read Mercedes Lackey... but I kinda stopped after a while... I think she's (at least I think its a she) is quite similar to David Eddings.

Comment

fuchsia, I heard the 4th book is supposed to come out later this year, hopefully it's true. Then again it has been so long, I think I'll need to reread the first 3 books first to refresh my memory. Haven't read The Death Gate Series, will check it out the next time I'm at Borders.

Comment

hmmm ok thanks fuschia! i might check out the series after i'm done with 'something rotten' by jasper fforde (i love his thursday next series!).

oh and i love neil gaiman's illustrated novels too!!! stardust was beautiful, and i'm at no. 4 of the sandman now. have to space them out when i buy them, otherwise i'll go broke very fast! and i agree, his prose alone doesn't seem to invoke the same imagery and beauty that his comics do - i really didn't like american gods, though to be far i never actually finished it. only got as far as the first third of the novel. bleah.

Comment

Working...
                              X