front room in 3-room flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front room in 3-room flat

Parents just told me we are moving into a three-room (from our current four) because now there's only them and me since my sis have all moved out. So well, my dad said I'll be having the 'front' room. Hmm I was like 'whatever, doesn't make a difference!' and then later I was thinking about it, wouldn't living in a room by the corridor be noisy and disruptive with less privacy? My home has always been a corner one, so when I look out the window, it looks out to the sky (can jump down and die kind).

What to do to maintain privacy and coziness? Are curtains the only options? OMG then in the afternoons my room will be so dark and gloomy...

hmmm common corridors are unimaginable for me
    cos i have always lived in a point block and there is absolute privacy

i suggest blinds to keep some light coming in.

it can be noisy with a common corridor but think of it, u probably wouldnt be at home most of the time, cos you will be either working/ studying!

hth

Comment

What about using protective film thingy on your window? You know, the one where people can't see you from outside but you can see them from inside. Not sure if it's approved by HDB though.

My hubby stayed in front room when he was still studying and I think the noise is not that bad. Unless your neighbours have kids who often play in the corridor. Try to get a unit near the end of the corridor so you'll have less traffic.

Comment

i'm in a front room and yep it's kinda dark but i'm used to it...and like natnatviv says, i'm usually out except at night so it doesn't make a big difference. one advantage is i can really sleep in on my days off because the sun doesn't shine in so bright also, it is very private as the transparent windows are right at the top so no one can look in

Comment

Originally posted by pretty_panda
          What about using protective film thingy on your window? You know, the one where people can't see you from outside but you can see them from inside. Not sure if it's approved by HDB though.
          Where can I get this protective film?

Comment

daphz: when you guys do the renovations for your new house, can ask the contractor to do the protective film thing for you

Comment

Originally posted by daphz
              Where can I get this protective film?
              I have this done on my living room windows mainly to block out UV rays and heat (it blocks out heat from the sun by more than 90%). From the outside (when neighbours/passerbys look in), they see dark blue unclear images. When you look out, your window looks clear and light blue-ish- quite nice, really. I paid $200+ for 4 half-length windows, inclusive of transport and worksmanship. There's a 5 year waranty against peeling, shrinking, bubbling etc.. 48 hours after application, you can clean/wipe/wash your windows like you used to. Definitely worth every cent- its one of the best thing I did for my home. This is where I got them from: http://www.coolnlite.com/automotiveindex.htm

Comment

Working...
              X