How to keep clothes in Pristine conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep clothes in Pristine conditions

well, how do we? I was rummaging through my closet the other day and I noticed so many clothes with yellow spots on them...why does this happen? And how to prevent them?

So in the end is it worth splurging on a designer dress and then seeing it turn color in a couple of years?

I always hear how mothers will bring out their old wedding dresses for their daughters to wear when they get married. How come they can keep them in such good conditions? White is the worst color as it shows stains really fast....

i think it is worth buying a piece of designer wear but hanging them up might not be the best to keep them in pristine condition

for white clothes, wrap in blue paper and keep them in a dry area with those hippo thing (those stuff that absorb moisture)

as for other clothes like silk and lace, i usually wrap them up in white paper and laid them straight in boxes

for gowns and such, unless they are too heavy, i usually hang up in the closet with a cover (think ikea has those)

i also air my closet frequently.

hth fuscia

Comment

thanks nat! Great advice! However, what is blue paper? So airing helps...I didn't know that...

How about mothballs?

Comment

haha yes i was just wondering what's the use of mothballs? it seems we always put 'em in cupboards but I never knew why.. lol

Comment

Moth balls are used to deodorise clothes and keep moths away.

Comment

hrmm.. but is it moths that cause little holes in clothes?
            sorry... think i'm asking totally commonsensical qns..

Comment

i think it is those bugs aka termites and they make holes in clothes!

fuchsia, u basically can get just those blue soft wrapping paper, hope i made sense
              i go to those stationery shops and just ask for blue paper

bcos i stay in melbourne, windows are often shut and thus no ventilation and moisture is accumulated, hence i air my closet frequently

Comment

Termites eat wood, and perhaps paper due to the cellulose content, I don't think they eat cloth but fabrics like rayon and viscose may have some wood components. Mothballs basically keep moths away, but don't think they do a good job of deodorizing since they pretty much stink. There aren't that many moths in Singapore - in Australia they come in swarms every couple years and it's a good idea to put some in the closet just cos' one might get in there and lay eggs. Gross!

Keeping clothes in good condition in Singapore is a very hard job - most clothes turn yellow due to the humidity and mold. I agree with the hippo thingie, but in addition to the paper, vacuum bags are probably a good idea. My mom's sacrificed alot of bedsheets over the years. Melbourne would still be alot drier than Singapore - the average local humidity is about 97-99%. You can tell just by the amount you sweat.

I don't think keeping wedding dresses is the norm in Singapore - you probably watched it on American soaps or dramas, and they definitely have a different climate. Only certain parts of those countries are humid, and even so it's nowhere as humid as Singapore.

BTW, Nat, where do you get blue paper? Is it like blue tissue paper for wrapping gifts or are there special sheets for wrapping clothes?

Comment

Here is a good website for fabric care:

http://fabriclink.com/Fabriccare.html

It says to use acid-free paper and boxes for long term storage

Yellowing alot of times is from sweat that you think you washed out. It will turn yellow with the heat and humidity. I had some blouses that I brought from the US with me when we moved here. They had been drycleaned and stored in my closet. After being stored for awhile, yellow stains appeared at the armpits. Then, I had a white cotton blouse that would turn yellow around the collar and on the back over time. I treated it with vinegar and lay it in the sun to remove it. There was a commercial running in the US this past summer for Clorox saying that washing your clothes with bleach was the only way to remove "body dirt". Not sure it that's true.

As for moths, here is more info on that:

Clothes moth larvae feed on wool, feathers, fur, hair, leather, lint, dust, paper, and occasionally cotton, linen, silk, and synthetic fibers. They are especially damaging to fabric stained with beverages, urine, oil from hair, and sweat. Most damage is done to articles left undisturbed for a long time, such as old military uniforms and blankets, wool upholstery, feathered hats, antique dolls and toys, natural bristle brushes, weavings, wall hangings, piano felts, old furs, and especially wool carpets under heavy furniture and clothing in storage.

Damaged fabrics have holes eaten through them by small, white larvae and often have silken cases, lines of silken threads, and fecal pellets over the surface of the materials. Moths are destructive during the larvae stage. Adult "millers" or moths are entirely harmless.

So, basically, it helps to make sure that your clothing is washed/drycleaned before storage.

Comment

Anyone knows how to remove milk stains from white clothing? My darling's pretty bodysuit has some such stains...

Comment

Mel, try soaking it in warm water with Napisan. Remember my white tee that got ruined? Natnatviv recommended me this, and I mix it with bleach and soak it for 2 days, and now my white tee is white again! Yayyy!!

Check it out here: http://www.simplyoz.com/products/per..._needs/napisan

The one I got is the 1st one but in a box packaging. I found it at Market Place at Orchard Paragon. Maybe you can give this a try and see if it works? Just don't add the bleach! HTH!

Comment

Sounds like a good product to have! Will try, thanks, Davis!

Comment

yeah napisan is good
                          i use it for everything! SO said i am abit crazy

wow the prices are ex here
                          it costs like 7.90AUD here!
                          Last edited by natnatviv; 13-12-2004, 08:58 PM.

Comment

sorry but where can i buy napisan?? thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X