Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you paper-train your dog?

Hi everyone!

Any advice on how to paper-train your dog?
    My dog poos all over the house, its been almost close to 2 years already,
    I can't seem to make him poo on newspapers!
    When i bring him out for walks, he also poos everywhere! can be up to 3 times for a short 20 mins walk..
    I'm at my wits end!

How old is your dog? If he's still a puppy, then it's understandable that he can't control well yet.

As for paper training, we confined my dog's freedom for the first few weeks when she first came to our home. Her pee tray is at the yard, so we put a baby gate at the kitchen door. She's confined to the kitchen and yard area only. Unless she's going out for a walk.

Seems like you gave your dog too much freedom before he is really reliable on the newspapers. No matter how urgent she is, my girl will not poo or pee elsewhere in the house. Even when the bedroom door is closed at night, she will bang on the door to wake us up so that we can open the door for her to go relieve herself.

Comment

let me share my experience, i have 3 dogs and used same method to each one. here's the method:

-1st i clean the pee with tissue and then place that tissue on top of the newspaper where i want them to pee on.

-2nd then i will place them on top of that newspaper and let them sniff the tissue.

the next time they pee on wrong spot i will genlty beat their butt and again repeat 1st and 2ns step.

as i can noticed the way my puppies when they are about to pee/poo, before they pass motion i quickly carry them on top of the newspaper, i guess this also help them to get used to do it on newspaper.

good luck

Comment

If I'm not wrong, you can actually get some sort of liquid from the petshop that will attract the dog to go to it to do their business. So what you'll do is drip a few drops of it on a newspaper sheet and put the newspaper where you want your dog to poop. Not sure how well that works though! HTHs!

Comment

Originally posted by after1998
          If I'm not wrong, you can actually get some sort of liquid from the petshop that will attract the dog to go to it to do their business. So what you'll do is drip a few drops of it on a newspaper sheet and put the newspaper where you want your dog to poop. Not sure how well that works though! HTHs!
          I've used that before. It works well for my dog but the smell of that liquid is not very pleasant. He took about a week for me to train him. But if the dog is already 2 yrs old, Im not sure whether it will works the same. But no harm trying!

Comment

my dog is already 7 years old. can we still train him?
            he pees and poos whereever he is given the chance.
            i am thking of wearing baby pampers for him if he is too old to be train.
            what do u'all think?

Comment

You can definitely still try to train him (my dog who came to me at 9 months old took me a month to train him...)

I don't think wearing diapers would be a good idea cos of the larger mess you have to clean up later! (plus he difinitely can't get used to them).. Imageine urine leaking out all over the place, plus the dog itself would be solied with urine or poop so you have to clean him up too...

I agree with aimee's methods, you have to be familiar with the dog's toliet habits like when he urines or poop (mine frequently does it after meals) etc to be more successful.. And I would just like to add that before he gets trained, maybe do not bring him on walks, as he may hold his urine and poop and "release" them on the walks, so the indoor training would be less effective..

Comment

hi lynn99,

so u were successful?
                would u b able to guide me? i mean he has already been with my mum for 7 years but we have nvr trained him before. so its not like we only got him and he never seem to understand.

Comment

u can try to go to www.doggiesite.com

it's a doggie forum and there are some threads pertaining to this matter. HTH!

Comment

my dog was quite the genius. he sort of figured he had to pee in the toilet. so when we first moved house i brought him to the toilet and said, "sh-sh and ng-ng in here."

he still pees and poos in the toilet

Comment

Thank you smitten... its a really useful website!

Comment

Working...
                      X