Air Conditioners and servicing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioners and servicing

My aircon is beyond repair and need to be replace with new ones. What brand will you babes recommend? I was told that the Japanese brands are better.

What about Daikin? Think it's quite popular.

Comment

Go for one with inverter.

Comment

I beg to differ on the inverter part. We did our sums and realised that unless you use the inverter unit like this: all 3 units on for more than 15 - 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, the extra cost you put in initially will never be covered back by savings in your electricity bill

So, if you are not a heavy user, a normal unit that is energy efficient (like some National models) should be good enough.

Comment

National? Was recommended by few friends when I was renovating my house and so I bought!

Comment

Vonnie, we did not calculate about this for short run. SO says that it is good in the long run. I got a shock recently when my electricity bills shoot up since we stay over at the new place only over the weekends. Am using Mitshibutshi Heavy industires aircon.

Comment

Ok, we cheated.... we didn't calculate every unit of electricity consumption etc But the comparison table between inverter and non-inverter aircons was actually available at one of the agents whom we visited. I think it was an authorised agent for Mitsubishi and LG

We are using the National Eco-System, or something like that. It is non-inverter, but it is energy efficient and the filter panel just needs to be solar-activated once every few months. So far, our electricity bill has been quite decent. We turn on one unit every night for about 2 - 3 hours.

Comment

Thinking of changing the aircon for our living room and bedroom. I'm more particular about worksmanship(installation) than brand of aircon, anyone here just installed aircon lately (w/in last 6 months or so)? Where did you go to and how's your aircon running currently?

I have almost zero knowledge about aircon and its works, any tips to share with me? What should I look out for when deciding who to go to or what brand to choose? Budget is one of my top consideration factor.

Comment

hi mango,
                  I bought the 3+1 Sharp Plasmacluster aircon from Gaincity and installation for all units was done within a day. Quite satified with their service

When we look for aircon, here are our requirements:
                  1) energy saving
                  2) original parts from Japan
                  3) cost-effective of course!

HTH!

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie
                    We did our sums and realised that unless you use the inverter unit like this: all 3 units on for more than 15 - 18 hours a day, 7 days a week, the extra cost you put in initially will never be covered back by savings in your electricity bill

So, if you are not a heavy user, a normal unit that is energy efficient (like some National models) should be good enough.
                    Agree with Vonnie. Actually the Inverter was designed for cooler countries so that the aircon uses the cool outside air to cool your room. This in turn will help save $$ but singapore is too humid for that. IMO

Mine is a National and its for me.
                    Its value for $$
                    Last edited by Demigoddess; 15-06-2004, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Went down to IMM yesterday and bought a system 2 from this shop called Hong Seng (have heard alot of good reviews about them, plus they offer one year garantee for their installation services- needed that peace of mind). The brand of aircon we bought is Fuji, $1299 excluding brackets($100). They are coming over on Wed to fix it- can't wait.

BTW, anyone here does aircon maintanence by servicing them regularly? Is it really necessary? What's the frequency? Who do you get?

Comment

I got mine from Hong Seng too but not very please by the way they installed. For us as customers of course we wanted the unit and the trunking to be installed in the nicest manner but they will give excuses to install in their most convenient way But I must say their prices are attractive.

Comment

Was using Daikin for many years before switching to Starmex.

I prefer the latter. Somehow, it's more quiet and has a lower frequency of water-drips.

A friend uses Futjitsu and he complians that it's too noisy for him at nights.

Comment

Originally posted by mango
                            Went down to IMM yesterday and bought a system 2 from this shop called Hong Seng (have heard alot of good reviews about them, plus they offer one year garantee for their installation services- needed that peace of mind). The brand of aircon we bought is Fuji, $1299 excluding brackets($100). They are coming over on Wed to fix it- can't wait.

BTW, anyone here does aircon maintanence by servicing them regularly? Is it really necessary? What's the frequency? Who do you get?

Yes, aircon definitely needs servicing regularly. They will take apart the unit and have it cleaned. Sometimes they will change the gas in it and other stuff. This ensures the aircon remains cool. I get mine serviced once in 6-9 months, thereabouts.. or whenever the aircon doesn't feel cool anymore

A good service company for aircon will not get you to change the entire system coz parts can be replaced and its not always expensive to do that.

We have 6-7 Sanyos at home and its been with us for >10 years and still working fine!
                            Last edited by baobei; 01-07-2004, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coyote
                              I got mine from Hong Seng too but not very please by the way they installed. For us as customers of course we wanted the unit and the trunking to be installed in the nicest manner but they will give excuses to install in their most convenient way But I must say their prices are attractive.
                              Attractive = extra piping, extra covers, extra work done to hide the ugly stuff... so... definitely will cost more..

Comment

Working...
                              X