Sharing my story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing my story

I was brought up to be a conservative, proper lady from a upper middle class background, thanks to my mother who placed emphasis on this. I listened to her that education is important, that to make it to university, I have to put aside boys and stuff. Hence I only allowed myself to open up to boys upon entering the university.

I got attached in my second year, My first boyfriend was to become my husband four years down the road. Heng was full of drive to suceed despite the odds. The odds being his complicated family background. He moved out of his family home because of differences with his mother. I was aghast by the seemingly hard heartedness of his mother, and her money grabbing ways. I believed everything he fed me with, and supported him totally, heart and soul. My parents did not approve of him due to his family background. Heng's father had kinda of abandoned the family, and his mother and him didn't get along either. My mum asked me to reconsider, as she felt his family was not like ours. From a mother's point of view, a son who can go against his mother is a bad choice of a husband.

I felt I could not abandon him, he didn't seem to have anyone to go to if I do so. I made excuses for his faults, I questioned myself if things went wrong. I changed myself so he didn't have to, and so we could still be together. One thing I was adamant was not being intimate before marriage. I had listened to my mother my whole life, all 20 years of it. I went against her wish to leave him for better guys. I wasnt going to betray my mother again by making out with him before marriage. He was unhappy about my stubborness. I could not withstand his pressure, and gave in. The feeling of my first time was that of physical and emotional rape. I suffered extreme guilt and could not face my mother for ages. She seemed to sense what happened, and only said by having intimacy before marriage, I have to give in alot more and compromise my happiness. I wanted so much to prove her wrong that I ignored my feelings. I didn't matter, setting up a home for Heng was more important. He didn't have a home, I wanted to fill that painful hole with love and undo the hurt he claimed his mother had caused him. Heng's happiness was our happi'ness.

We got married, and a year after that, he wanted a child. It will be good for his career he said. And so, I became a young mother. I brushed aside my doubts. I hoped a child will encourage Heng to be home more often, have dinner at home more often.

to be continued......

Reality hit me with a tight slap. He insisted on a confinement lady, though money was tight. He didn't want to help out with chores, with our baby, with marketing. He continued with his overnight mahjong sessions. He continued with his 10-12hr golfing weekends. He continued with his 'meetings' that stretch past midnights. After the first month, I was cleaning the floors, the toilets, the marketing, all while taking care of my son. I convinced my tired body to work, that I didn't need the lying down, the sleep. I must be crazy as what Heng told me when I asked him to help with the moping.

I went back to work 6 months after giving birth, having found a nanny nearby. The problem was I had to start work in the east at 7.30am. I needed 1.5hrs of travel time. It became a routine for me to carry my precious baby at 6am to his nanny before running to the bus stop 10mins away. Heng went to work in his car earliest at 8plus. We had fights over him refusing to help out as I was heartached to bring our son to the nanny at 6am in the morning. And which meant I had to rush like mad to pick him up before 6.30pm in the evening. Heng said he needed his sleep and getting ready for work in the mornings. How was he going to do that with a nuisance baby wailing all the time?! Maybe I wasn't human, I didn't need to sleep, dress properly or use the bathroom like a woman/human being.

I got over my disappointment with Heng, and learnt to enjoy bonding time with my son. I was thankful my boss was understanding and allowed me to leave as and when my son needed me without notice. I was often late for work, either because of poor bus timings, or simply I overslept on the bus. I was always tired.

Love at Dolphin Bay.... my elder boy named Bao, and I loved to watch that drama series. Just me and my son, that drama series represented the baby/toddler memories I had of my son. Heng was never around. At times he tried to be home for dinner. Sometimes he ate. Sometimes he came home having already eaten despite telling me to cook his share. I was hurt by his callousness, but told myself it was better for him to have eaten then to starve just because I wanted him to have dinner that I had cooked.

Three years flew by.......

to be continued........

Comment

Daily routine started at 5.30am. I will wash up, change, pack my breakfast and often lunch as well, before carrying my sleepy baby to his nanny by 6.15am. Getting pregnant again was unthinkable with my punishing shedule. I liked my stressless job as administrator/operations manager. There was no OT, my boss was understanding, office politics were virtually non-existent. Just that the pay was low, less than 2K per month and I was a graduate. And the location was very far from my home..... I commuted 3hrs daily. Heng rarely fetched me or our son home. I had always been independent, but it does not mean I do not appreciate him helping out or showing concern if I was tired.

At home, housework was done after my son went to bed at 8plus. Sometimes I would still be hanging up laundry at midnight.

Heng wanted another child, I was reluctant. I had no idea how to cope. Heng told me to quit my low paying job and focus on taking care of the family. I was afraid of my lack of financial independence. I made it clear to him I have to support my retired parents financially, and Heng said I could give them $400 per month out of the 'household' allowance. Still i had misgivings which I pushed aside. Like a gambler, I tossed in my last coin.

One day I had bad diarrhea all of a sudden. As it was a Sunday, I only managed to get myself to the clinic the next day. By then I had gone 20 over times. I had a shot to stop the purging, and stayed home from work the next 4 days as the diarrhea continued. I struggled to fetch my boy to his childcare centre daily, to and fro. Heng was busy as usual. By then I knew better than to insist he do the fetching. Over the years, I learnt to be ultra independent and not even hope for his help. Or to ask for his shedule. I packed a change of underwear and pants, and wet wipes each time I needed to leave the house during these four days. My boy's teacher asked if I was pregnant. I didn't suspect I was, and told her it was an upset tummy.

Maybe I should elaborate on instances that caused me to be so independent and not involve my husband, my child's father. My boy when he started childcare, fell sick frequently. Heng did not help out at all, I had to rush from work or take urgent leave to attend to my boy. On one memorable Saturday, Heng went golfing as usual. My boy fell sick suddenly with vomiting and diarrhea. I rushed him to his GP about 2km away. Getting a taxi was difficult but I couldn't wait for the feeder service with my boy looking like he was about to throw up anytime. Upon coming home, he cried in pain and said he couldn't pass urine. I had never experienced such a scenario with him before. I panicked and called the clinic. I was told to bring him in again and I could bypass the long Q. I was so thankful and rushed him to the clinic again in my arms. My boy was at least 15kg at that time. After seeing doctor the 2nd time, we came home and he got to have some sleep. While sleeping, he passed out diarrhea waste which leaked and soaked through his diapers. I had a hell of a time cleaning up the mess and threw away one mattress. All these while trying not to wake my sick boy. Heng only came home in the evening. Why did I not raise hell with him and insisted he came home early? Because prior to this episode, Heng was not home one night when my boy ran a high fever. My boy Bao was crying and uncomfortable, so I couldn't put him in his pram. By the time i reached the nearest clinic, my arms were screaming in pain. so I called Heng. Heng was 'playing mahjong'. I was told to 'settle it' myself.

Loneliness is not a state when u are physically alone. I never felt so alone in my life until I married Heng. Should I have raised hell with him? Talking didn't help, I suggested attending counselling and he said a marriage is between 2 persons, not 3. Outsiders know nuts. He had a 'stressful' job, he had the right to release stress. My job was to take care of the family and not bother him. My other paying job? I can shove it as it paid peanuts. Oh yeah, I just love low paying jobs. Why spend the whole day and evening at high paying jobs where I can't leave at the drop of the hat because Bao needed me? I don't 'need financial security like typical girls, right? I just need to be a wife and mother, not a career woman.

Getting pregnant again required a huge leap of faith. Heng promised to be around more often. Golfing cut to once every fortnight. Occasional overnight mahjong. Cross my heart and hope to die if I break my promises. Yeah, DIE DIE DIE!

Our finances were not healthy though Heng's pay was the equivalent of 2 average singaporeans' pay combined. He had taste for branded clothing, fine dining, need to entertain his friends, golfing, gambling at mahjongs. I decided to grit my teeth and build up more savings for the family by only quiting my job after I gave birth.

My precious Bei kept me company rushing through everyday routines. Sending his korkor Bao to and fro childcare. Once I had a fall getting down from the bus with Bao. It was a wakeup call I should treat Bei with more care.... I was given the chance to take more care as I only hurt my legs, and not Bei.

I enjoyed the extra attention Heng paid to me during pregnancy. He would tell me to eat more, rest more. He would also yell at me if I rushed in my morning routine to get to work on time. Yet now come to think of it, there was little action. Just words. Heng would help with the laundry basket of wet clothes, from laundry room to the balcony. All 4-5 times of it. After awhile, he would stir only if I told him to. Then he stopped helping at all. If Heng felt any guilt in not doing much, he compensated by urging me to quit my job.

to be continued.......

Comment

Faults.

It is not without self blame all these years with Heng. i blamed myself for not pleasing him with a livier personality, not able to give him the home or comfort he 'needed' to quit smoking, not able to keep him home, for nagging too much, for not being as smart as his friends' wives are, not being slim enough, not being energetic enough. I blamed myself for feeling unhappy, for feeling lonely, for being stressed out and tired out, for not being a better mother and wife. My middle name was masochistic.

Now i resolved some of the self blame issues. Some. Not all. I still blame myself. In fact I found new faults with myself. The biggest fault and wrong I did was hoping Heng would change. I was like a dying man clinging to hope, as I had thrown out my last chip. With two kids, no job, I had to make my marriage work even if it killed me.

What faults did Heng have? Ambition? Inability to adapt to married life? Self-centeredness?

He loved his family. Us. Like how pet owners love their pets. When they are happy, they play with the pet. If they r not too tired, they bring them out for walks. Other then that, work and play came first.

What was I suppose to deduce how his love for us was? I almost walked out on him with my two young kids in the 2nd month after giving birth to Bei. Where do I start?

The second confinement lady was more firm in what she would do, what she would 'prefer' not to. She preferred not to have to do marketing, even though the market was very near. Heng put his foot down. No way he can help out. He accelerated his fun activites the second time he became father. I never knew where he was, when he was coming home, what he was doing, who he was with. By then, I had stopped feeling anxious about his whereabouts. I told him a few times my fears. That police will come knocking in the middle of the night to say he was involved in a car accident or something, so please could he at least let me know something?

During my confinement, I was breastfeeding 70% of the time. Bei was kept in the hospital for a few more days due to high jaundice. I took a cab to deliver my milk to him, and to hold him. He was so tiny, tinier than Bao. Bei was almost premature. Due to over exertion, I developed contractions in the 31st week. I started dilating. Heng was given a choice to travel due to his work at that time. I told him to go, else his career advancement be hindered. He was away for the last 2 months of my pregnancy. I took care of Bao despite my pain and discomfort, and worry that I may frighten three year old Bao if I were to go into unexpected labour in the middle of the night. Bao is my first born, I worried he would feel sad that mummy doesn't want him any more. In short, I didn't have an easy pregnancy or delivery. Because of the medication to stop the contractions, even though i was 4cm dliated by the time I went into delivery the second day after Heng returned, I took 10hours to pop out Bei.

I showered Bao right after I came back from the hospital. The confinement nanny's job didn't include that, and I was concerned Bao felt left out and unloved. I wanted to show him mummy would still do the same things for him as previously. I waited for Bao's school bus out in wet and windy cold December.

Heng? My memory of the past with him involved is dim. Memories of the past, the good ones, are without him.

The second birth's events changed me. I finally saw how selfish Heng was, how much he loved us. Why did he want another kid when he obviously felt the urge to run away with the added responsiblity? I almost walked out. Heng begged. Promised to change. Like a fool I stayed, thinking he meant to change for the better.

to be continued....

Comment

Be strong

Hi Melody

I read through your post & though I'm not in your shoes, I could feel you. I'm so sorry to hear all that has happened. How are you coping now ? Is Bao & Bei alright ? Hope to hear from you soon.

Comment

Hope you are doing ok, I had been reading your story. Sounds like you had suffered alot in your marriage, feel kinda sad for you.

Your husband really sounds like a terrible person~

Comment

Originally posted by Caralistic View Post
              Hope you are doing ok, I had been reading your story. Sounds like you had suffered alot in your marriage, feel kinda sad for you.

Your husband really sounds like a terrible person~
              People don’t make mistakes, they make choices and then they have to deal with the consequences. It doesn’t matter how this story ends, what matters is how it started: SHE chose to marry an a$$hole (nobody forced her) and now she has to pay the price for her lack of judgment. That's how real life works.

Comment

It had been awhile since i last checked in. It means I was functioning more like a human. Since I am back, today is not a good day for me.

Choices, mistakes, stubborness, blind, stupid, naive, optimistic. All these are just words. Reality is what happened had happened. I know my faults. Maybe its my nature, I think alot, more than I speak. Self reflection is done almost complusively 1000 times a day. I realised my weakness for men like Heng. The type who undergo alot of hardships, and need love and support from loved ones. The problem with this type is, after 2 experiences, they never seem to get out of their 'hardships'. Forever they have something to grind over. Heng by now, is at a high paying post. Annual pay exceeds $15K. Daily routine is also pretty much his own thing. He can sleep in till 12 noon 2-3 days out of 5 working days. The only hardship is, he seemed to have lots of meetings stretching to 12 midnight. By the way he is not in the sales industry. In fact his job is a very conservative one. To protect myself and Bao and Bei, I shall not be too specific,

I was with Heng when his pay was barely enough for his own survival. I was touched when he couldn't afford to buy a bun for me at the end of our date, when we first started dating. The thought was enough for me, I survived on love and air. Not branded goods, fancy dinners, car rides. I often went home alone, I didn't need him to send me. From sticking with him when he had nothing, to him having a 5 figured income monthly, I hoped he would remember what we had gone thru together. Now I see things differently. When I happen to chit chat with younger girls, who remind me so much of my younger self, I urge them not to give too much. Be more mature, not foolish.

Humans are pretty much alike. When we give much of ourselves, we appreciate the things we work for even more. Heng was made to feel like the king, by the time he was needed to give, he didn't know how to. Frankly I suck at teaching others to give. I really do not think much of my abilities, i told a friend I suck at giving and taking. How much to give? How much to take? And when the other party refuses to give, how to 'tackle' him and make him 'give'? When I see seemingly happy middle age - elderly couples, I think to myself, they must be really good in giving and taking. Really good souls to be able to within the trials of life, each other's tempers.

I do blame myself. Another person together with Heng, would have brought about a different outcome. So how to say yeah yeah, he is a bastard, it can happen to anyone. No one emerges from a divorce unscathed, pure, and upright. The best one can do is, if he/she is a divorcee, to pick himself/herself up, and cut back on the self blame, anger, hatred towards the ex, and move one.....

Comment

Money.

When money is associated with power, Heng obviously is the one ruling. I was brought up to be thrifty, to be submissive to authority. Heng is the opposite. His mother likes to show off her wealth, even during hard times, she MUST maintain her face value. Heng followed. When he had $100, he will spend $120. And tells me not to worry.

Many people say with a windfall, it brings about misfortune. Heng's mother had a windfall. She passed him a small portion of it. Heng started entertaining thoughts of buying a house with his mother. Never mind the fact they had never gotten along big time. Never mind the fact that if it was to happen, his mother does not want my name in the deed. I was starting to feel small due to my lack of money, and modest family background. I dug my heels in. Staying together is going to be difficult, and me as his wife, must have my name in the deed. Deep in my heart I felt very cold by Heng's quick turn about in reaction to the windfall. By even considering allowing his mother to kick me out of the title deed, it felt to me Heng was discarding me after I had bear him two sons and was of little further use. Thankfully it did not happen. Or should I say, unfortunately? After all, it wasted another 4 years of my youthI.

The small portion given to Heng disappeared over the months. I have no idea where it went to. I finally drummed up enough courage to ask about it, as we needed funds for shifting house within the next 2 years. I got no answers, but I started monitoring our joint account. One day a big sum disappeared, leaving only $8K as balance. He claimed he lent it to someone, and if I was 'ok' with it. I insisted it wasn't ok. How many $X sums of money do we have?! We have two very young sons! For the first time, I thought of divorce. He was not giving me my due respect as his wife. He said its his money. I withdrew the last $8K in anger. Heng went ballistic. I started wondering why he went so crazy when its only $8K, and I as his wife had taken it out. Who did he give / lend the $X amount to? $X was at least 4 times of $8K. Four years later, Heng still refused to say.

Bao was three plus when $X went missing. He loves his father more than his father deserves. One night, he came to me and said, Mummy, please cook dinner for Papa when he comes home ok? My heart broke again, and for the sake of my sons, I decided to let the matter go. A barely 4yr old kid can worry about his father having 'not eaten'.

Can such matters be let go? A huge sum of money in the joint account, or even if personal account, went missing and your spouse gives you no answer other than a 'lent it to someone' excuse. $X never came back.

Privacy, accountability. How do these two co-exist? I do not know. But I let the matter rest and moved on for the sake of my boys. I really did, I put it all the way back into my mind that until almost 4 yrs later, this matter was almost forgotten.

To be continued......

Comment

We found a small flat near to the branded primary school Bao will be attending. At the same time, my maid of 2 years finished her contract and went home. I did not extend her contract as she had honesty issues, and the flat is too small for 3 adults and two kids. It only has two bedrooms. All the while I had the maid, I was not relaxing like a tai tai. I walked to and fro everyday sending Bao to kindergarten, marketing, cooking all meals. I bathed Bao and Bei daily. I have seen maids being distracted along the roads, while being with their charges. Never once I let my maid walk Bao to school. When Bei was thrown into his pram at 7mths old, I tried to bring Bei along every trip, lugging the pram up and down the bus. I worried leaving Bei with the maid. I worried Bao would irk the maid with his ways, and be thrown out of the window.

I liased with the renovation contractor, packed up all the stuff at home, except for Heng's things. He did not lift a single finger with things not directly his. 18 boxes. He continued with his activities while I packed till past midnight. On the last day before the move, I packed till 5am while he snored away. You may ask, why didnt I insist he helped? I do not know how to make him help, if it involves more than opening my mouth to ask. Seriously I do not know. What methods did other wives use? Its a mystery to me. I suspect I am a retard.

Oh, I cleaned up the house by myself too. He continued with his golf. And even brought home his friend to take a look at our new place. His friend found me very glamourous, on a step ladder cleaning the upper kitchen cabinets. I was ashamed with how soggy and awful I looked, tired to the bone. I was hurt Heng didn't warn me beforehand he was bringing a friend. I think I looked worse than my maid.

I gritted my teeth and unpacked everything myself. All the while tending to my young boys' needs. I lost much weight. When thing settled, I fell seriously ill with high fever and was very giddy. I never felt so sick in my life. I was watching the clock the whole night, for morning when clinic opens. I didn't even have panadol at home, as it was not too long after shifting house. Heng? He was in away attending a funeral. It wasn't his fault.

Things were rosy for awhile. Heng was happy about the move, and a new change in him was he would ask if I needed anything from the shop on his way out. It lasted for about 6 months.

Towards end of that year we moved, he started on his old ways. With new twists, involving drinking at fashionable nightspots. Wearing new Calvin Klein. I didn't want to think too much of it.

Now thinking back, I wondered if things will be different if I had joined him. If I had kept the maid. If I had insisted he stopped such nonsense, pretending to be a swinging single, not a father of two. Ifs. Waste of time only. There is no way I will join him. If I am childless, I will. I should. My priority since I had Bao, had been my kids. Even with the maid, I had never gone out at night, leaving my kids alone with the maid.

His relative once wise cracked, that once our kids are older, we can do couple things again. I pressed my lips together when I heard that. I respected her, but for once, she is wrong. She had meant to comfort me, seeing me alone with my kids at her place. By saying what she said, she implied my kids are causing the problem. No, Heng is the problem. He should be with us, doing family things together.

to be continued.......

Comment

Meaning of 'share', is not the same meaning as 'force'. My story is real, and I am sharing it to relieve pain. To those who feel sickened by how amazingly boring my long story is, thank you for taking time to read each time I come in to share. I am selfish, I am not nice enough to care about how others view my story. But certainly I form opinions.

If one really reads, he will see I am not one to have taken all the shit lying down. I almost walked out, but was begged to stay and lied to with promises. I confronted over missing money, but chose to let it go. I know what I want, he didn't know what he want. Tell me, if he knows damn well what he wanted, would he put his career and family on the line to dally with 'ladies' of the night? Using his car to get to Geylang, and park at Lorong 16?

I was well brought up. So instead of using abusive language on u, I reported ur post as offensive. I trust u like my honesty. And yeah, I know guys and even some girls will root for him. It takes all kinds of people to make up this world. Anyway, the point is not to ask for anyone to root for anybody. Each time I feel suffocated, I continue my boring story here. Thats all I want. Rooting for me, or for him does no favours in my real life. This is just virtual. Get real, and bully in real life if u have the guts.

Comment

Originally posted by MelodyLim View Post
                        Meaning of 'share', is not the same meaning as 'force'. My story is real, and I am sharing it to relieve pain. To those who feel sickened by how amazingly boring my long story is, thank you for taking time to read each time I come in to share. I am selfish, I am not nice enough to care about how others view my story. But certainly I form opinions.

If one really reads, he will see I am not one to have taken all the shit lying down. I almost walked out, but was begged to stay and lied to with promises. I confronted over missing money, but chose to let it go. I know what I want, he didn't know what he want. Tell me, if he knows damn well what he wanted, would he put his career and family on the line to dally with 'ladies' of the night? Using his car to get to Geylang, and park at Lorong 16?

I was well brought up. So instead of using abusive language on u, I reported ur post as offensive. I trust u like my honesty. And yeah, I know guys and even some girls will root for him. It takes all kinds of people to make up this world. Anyway, the point is not to ask for anyone to root for anybody. Each time I feel suffocated, I continue my boring story here. Thats all I want. Rooting for me, or for him does no favours in my real life. This is just virtual. Get real, and bully in real life if u have the guts.
                        Well, to each its own. Who knows this Mr Wolf here is using this forum as a medium to vent his anger As you can see, most of his comments are filled with anger and sarcasm. You should feel glad that he is imposing such a force on you especially when you should come to your sense that this Soul mate of yours is just a WOLF in a sheep's clothing. So i guess you should just walk out of it since you have been returning to the same old spot. As for Mr Wolf, he gets to reduce his anger isnt it Mr Wolf?? However, never feel that this is the end of the world. There will be someone out there for you so no worries. Let the worries for tomorrow, tomorrow worries.

A quote for you Melody: I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work

For our Mr Wolf: Hell, there are no rules here — we're trying to accomplish something. Credit to Thomas Edison

-Listening Ear-

Comment

You might be a Listening Ear but I’m a Big Judging Mouth. That’s the internet: if you are willing to put something for potentially billion of people to read than you have to be prepared to receive both support as well as criticism (ie if you can’t take the heat then don’t go into the kitchen).

Having said that I’m actually glad MelodyLim got out from her amoeba status and “counter-attacked”, that’s basically the reason I’ve been teasing her to begin with. Good to see her reacting for a little change. The “me starting to root for him” was clearly a provocation but I can see that the irony didn’t land as my post got censured uncle Lee’s style. And no anger from my side. But I am indeed a cynical [email protected] I’ll give you that.

So go on with the melody, Lim.

Comment

Thank you for all ur concern and encouragement. In danger of sounding ungrateful, I will still say this. It is not necessary.

Where I stopped the last boring K like drama episode, it happened 3 years ago. I have since taken much drastic actions to secure my kids and my own happiness.

I am not a robot, there will be times especially at night when I feel down. There are some who drink to ease the pain, some who indulge in more harmful activities, some who will call their friends or family for relief. I do not have the luxury of such avenues. I am just seeking the way that works to ease my pain when it becomes more than just uncomfortable. Judge me if u like, I have seen and experienced much. Now, only maybe God's judgement, and my own judgement matter.

Tonight is the end of a lovely day out with my kids. Am happy and contented. There will be some thanking their lucky stars that tonight they do not have to read another boring korean drama episode.

Comment

Where I stopped the last boring K like drama episode, it happened 3 years ago. I have since taken much drastic actions to secure my kids and my own happiness.
                              So… 295 lines about the negative stuff and 2 lines for the positive stuff? That seems to prove my point that you appear to be keener on commiserating yourself rather than act and fix the problem. Why don’t you write more about the positive stuff (where you actually react to your husband and face him about his wrongdoings)? Am I the only f****r here who would like to hear more about that?

In any case in the end all that matters is:
                              Tonight is the end of a lovely day out with my kids. Am happy and contented.

PS
                              There will be some thanking their lucky stars that tonight they do not have to read another boring korean drama episode.
                              Aaargh, you’re doing it again, stop being SO melodramatic! Wa lao you really could be a K drama screenwriter you know? Gotta change nickname to MelodramaticLim…

Comment

Working...
                              X