Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Msian guys generally perceived negatively by S'porean girls?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Msian guys generally perceived negatively by S'porean girls?

    Hi all,

    Just want to share about an incident that happened, I was hanging out the other day with a group of colleagues with varied nationalities, (Singaporeans, Malaysians and a few Vietnamese and Chinese). We were talking abt various stuffs until we started talking about the usual topic, relationships, how the guys and girls from different countries have different 'dating styles' and traits. this was when some of the ladies in the group who are Singaporeans said that they find Malaysian guys to be more gentle but meaning lacking in confidence comparing to Singaporean guys. They said Malaysian guys seldom do gentleman acts too like holding doors open/offer to carry bags, dont dress as well as local guys and aren't as well built, too laid back and not having enough ambition, generally the tone was rather negative and that Singaporean guys are a 'better' choice. I'm quite taken aback and surprised in a curious way (I'm Malaysian). I agree Singaporean guys are fitter because they have to go training at NS but I totally disagree that they are 'better' than Malaysian guys, I think Malaysian guys have their good points too like being more independent living alone in a foreign country to work compare to local guys who still live with their parents even until late adult years.

    Just wondering if this is the general perception of local girls towards Malaysian guys? Is there some bias that we are viewed in a slight negative way? Or maybe it's just the ones in my group who think like this? Hope to hear your opinion, not trying to make a biased thread, just curious to know the local perception

  • #2
    Originally posted by Dav3281 View Post
    Hi all,

    Just want to share about an incident that happened, I was hanging out the other day with a group of colleagues with varied nationalities, (Singaporeans, Malaysians and a few Vietnamese and Chinese). We were talking abt various stuffs until we started talking about the usual topic, relationships, how the guys and girls from different countries have different 'dating styles' and traits. this was when some of the ladies in the group who are Singaporeans said that they find Malaysian guys to be more gentle but meaning lacking in confidence comparing to Singaporean guys. They said Malaysian guys seldom do gentleman acts too like holding doors open/offer to carry bags, dont dress as well as local guys and aren't as well built, too laid back and not having enough ambition, generally the tone was rather negative and that Singaporean guys are a 'better' choice. I'm quite taken aback and surprised in a curious way (I'm Malaysian). I agree Singaporean guys are fitter because they have to go training at NS but I totally disagree that they are 'better' than Malaysian guys, I think Malaysian guys have their good points too like being more independent living alone in a foreign country to work compare to local guys who still live with their parents even until late adult years.

    Just wondering if this is the general perception of local girls towards Malaysian guys? Is there some bias that we are viewed in a slight negative way? Or maybe it's just the ones in my group who think like this? Hope to hear your opinion, not trying to make a biased thread, just curious to know the local perception
    To be honest, I will prefer a Singaporean guy to a Malaysian guy.
    In general, Singaporean guy seems to have better qualification and career.
    That's how I feel.
    Not sure about the rest.

    Comment


    • #3
      i think its the way that we are being brought up that makes us different...
      malaysia i feel, its a very laid back country... in the sense, the way things are going it is not as fast paced, competitive in a way compared to singapore
      thats why the way we are brought up, our priorities, the way we act are different...

      i believe each man in both countries are good in their way.

      if i were to choose i would pick neither thou...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CallMePing View Post
        To be honest, I will prefer a Singaporean guy to a Malaysian guy.
        In general, Singaporean guy seems to have better qualification and career.
        That's how I feel.
        Not sure about the rest.
        A lot of managers and professionals here are Malaysians. ministers as well. A lot of blue collar workers here are Msians too. I don't think that in general local men have better qualifications , it's just that comparing city - big country is like apples with oranges

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dav3281 View Post
          A lot of managers and professionals here are Malaysians. ministers as well. A lot of blue collar workers here are Msians too. I don't think that in general local men have better qualifications , it's just that comparing city - big country is like apples with oranges
          Perhaps you are right.
          But I will still prefer a Singaporean guy.
          I don't know why too. It is just the feel i guess.

          Comment


          • #6
            i've dated a malaysian with nus masters before, so it doesn't mean msian guys have qualifications and careers worse off than sporeans

            but...i prefer sporean guys cos of cultural similarites n cos of the fact that they have served ns

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dav3281 View Post
              Hi all,

              this was when some of the ladies in the group who are Singaporeans said that they find Malaysian guys to be more gentle but meaning lacking in confidence comparing to Singaporean guys. They said Malaysian guys seldom do gentleman acts too like holding doors open/offer to carry bags, dont dress as well as local guys and aren't as well built, too laid back and not having enough ambition, generally the tone was rather negative and that Singaporean guys are a 'better' choice.
              You should have asked them what do they mean by "better" ? And by "better", they mean earning shitloads of money, getting a condo mortgage of sort and having extra disposal income for the latest fancy gadgets and big brand items... then yes, Singaporean guys do fit better under this definition.

              I'm quite taken aback and surprised in a curious way (I'm Malaysian). I agree Singaporean guys are fitter because they have to go training at NS but I totally disagree that they are 'better' than Malaysian guys,
              Err...going to NS doesn't necessarily make them fitter. They only return for their reservists training once or twice a year at most and each time lasting no more than 2 weeks. No one becomes fit by exercising only twice a year. And when they are not in NS, most Singaporean men spend their time playing online computer war strategy games or if not they can be seen queuing for the latest gadgets and mobile phones at Singtel or Starhub.

              I think Malaysian guys have their good points too like being more independent living alone in a foreign country to work compare to local guys who still live with their parents even until late adult years.
              I'm totally with you on this and I'm a Singaporean girl. Albeit that's because I've stayed and lived abroad for a long time. Independent guys are hard to come by in Singapore with most of them depending either on mummy or the maid to deal with every single thing in life. They may be great at collecting a gazillion degrees and earning shitloads of money thinking that money buys everything on earth.. including a girlfriend and a wife. And to be blunt, a lot of Singaporean women allowed themselves to be "bought" too. They'll go with someone who has the biggest condo, biggest car, biggest house forgetting that it takes more than just money for a relationship to work out.

              Just wondering if this is the general perception of local girls towards Malaysian guys? Is there some bias that we are viewed in a slight negative way? Or maybe it's just the ones in my group who think like this? Hope to hear your opinion, not trying to make a biased thread, just curious to know the local perception
              It doesn't matter what Singaporean girls think of Malaysian guys. What's most important is that you don't fall into the typical Singaporean trap thinking that all you need is shitloads of money to be able to have a girlfriend or a wife. Having a good character and the drive to be a better person in life is much more attractive. Being independent is a trait that will serve you well in the long run too.

              Good luck and I hope you'll one day find someone who will appreciate what you have.

              Comment


              • #8
                Msian guys generally perceived negatively by S'porean girls?

                I dated a Malaysian man before, he is a chef and he dotes on me a lot! He has a very shy personality and he is quiet in nature. I do admit he lacks ambition though and he is not keen in learning English even though he knows that it is important for his career, sigh. But we eventually broke up because something happened in his Malaysian home and he has to go back to settle matters.

                I have a friend (she is a Singaporean) and she was pregnant with her Malaysian then- boyfriend's baby. They got married in Malaysia, but soon after the baby was born, the man scooted off. Now baby is 3 years old and my friend gave up looking for him.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Somehow I find Malaysian guys abit gay

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pommiepommie View Post
                    Somehow I find Malaysian guys abit gay
                    Geeeezz ! Where did that come from ?!?!? That just sounded so wrong !

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by pommiepommie View Post
                      Somehow I find Malaysian guys abit gay
                      I think you mistakenly wrote gay instead of 'gentle and soft spoken'. And yes where did you deduce that from anyway ? Your hairstylist ?

                      They are indeed laidback, but in a simplistic not lazy way. If you have ever been to their countries and mixed with their people, you would see them enjoying the simple things in life, minus the extravagance.

                      Oh btw my friends from China and Malaysia do tell me that their female friends originating from those countries have very negative views on Singaporean guys. And that I agree wholeheartedly.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Andre- View Post
                        I think you mistakenly wrote gay instead of 'gentle and soft spoken'.
                        Andre - very diplomatic of you.... lol !

                        And yes where did you deduce that from anyway ? Your hairstylist ?
                        LOLOLOL ! Woah.... are you saying all M'sians are hairstylist ? (Just joking!)

                        They are indeed laidback, but in a simplistic not lazy way. If you have ever been to their countries and mixed with their people, you would see them enjoying the simple things in life, minus the extravagance
                        .

                        But I think most Singaporeans would equate "minus the extravagance" as "laid back", "lazy" and "not ambitious" ! Maybe some Singaporeans here can tell me otherwise as no one seems to be responding to my first post on this thread which basically means I'm right in deducing that ? lol !

                        Oh btw my friends from China and Malaysia do tell me that their female friends originating from those countries have very negative views on Singaporean guys. And that I agree wholeheartedly.
                        Curiosity cat wants to know what are some of these things that your friends's female friends have been saying about Singaporean guys ?!?! I'm intrigued !!!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Borgen-breeze View Post
                          Andre - very diplomatic of you.... lol !



                          LOLOLOL ! Woah.... are you saying all M'sians are hairstylist ? (Just joking!)

                          .

                          But I think most Singaporeans would equate "minus the extravagance" as "laid back", "lazy" and "not ambitious" ! Maybe some Singaporeans here can tell me otherwise as no one seems to be responding to my first post on this thread which basically means I'm right in deducing that ? lol !



                          Curiosity cat wants to know what are some of these things that your friends's female friends have been saying about Singaporean guys ?!?! I'm intrigued !!!!!!
                          Woah its been v long since I came back here. I asked actually bcos someone I liked who happens to be...Singaporean, was part of my group on that day. We're talking about relationships and BG stuffs so of course I was interested when they started talking about various countries guys and gals. Even though she didnt make the comment about Malaysian guys, it was other people who said it, I felt my esteem drop a lil bit. A few days I still took my chance and confessed but she repeated what the other girls said. I was v shocked to be rejected bcos of my nationality, I asked this q on flowerpod, looks like most singaporean girls think quite bad about msian guys.

                          However u r right I shouldn't care abt what they think. I think its very shallow to put someone in a bad light because of their country of origin, I am not trying to be defensive after getting bashed, just think it doesnt make sense. Btw foreign girls here think that local guys are very egoistic, cocky and not as romantic or daring (to make moves) like their own country's guys.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dav3281 View Post
                            Woah its been v long since I came back here.
                            It only took you 3 months to reply. Who says Malaysians are lazy?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X