X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand > Bangkok

Hi...
    I'm on a budget trip to Bangkok next week! Tho I've been there before, but I'm always shopping at the usual shopping haunts (MBK, Siam Sq). Can you guys gimmie some recommendations on where n what to shop in Bangkok? Thx!

Edited to add.

Online hotel booking
    http://www.hotel2thailand.com/bangko...lace-Hotel.asp
    http://www.sawasdee.com/
    http://directrooms.com/
    http://www.hoteltravel.com/thailand/index.htm
    http://www.asiarooms.com
    Last edited by jemay; 19-01-2007, 01:21 PM.

Hihi
    u can check out the pratunuam market, the things they sell there are much cheaper than MBK n Siam square. The things are abt the same I feel personally. Its actually a wholesale place, however u have to really have to see properly to find good stuff. N also Chut tu chat, the weekend market is a must go.. i usually spend all my money there cos the clothes there r unique (usually made by themselves) n cheap. However , U must really bagain for the best price.

Hope this helps , n enjoy ur trip to bangkok!

Comment

you really must go to chatuchak if you haven't already. lots of great bargains! however, you may be able to find similar stuff in MBK for about the same price. but still, it's really worth a visit!

Comment

thanks gals! actually i've been to the weekend mkt once! however, it was so warm and stuffy, i was out of there almost immediately! I shall persevere this time! i promise!! haha.. Also, any good recomendations of places to makan? I know bangkok is known for this great food...but the last time i was there i ended eating more fast food! coz i have trouble ordering food from the rest of then local vendors! :sotong:

Comment

Hi Yvonne, when are you leaving? I am going tomorrow! *Yippee* I have never been to Thailand. Saw in a TV program that there is this place that looks like Far East Plaza, is that Siam Square? And is there a shopping place called Emporium?

Comment

I've been there once with my mum's friend, who's very experienced in Bangkok shopping, she brought us to all the haunts in Bangkok and we had a whale of a time shopping! By the time my mum and i came back, we only had a few thai cents left!

anyway you MUST go to Chatuchak! and you must persevere cos' it's really warm and stuffy but there are sooo many stuff to buy there...we even had to go back for seconds!

MBK: definitely must go also...it's a shopping centre, much cooler and yes the foodcourt upstairs! there's this stall selling bird's nest and it's really cheap and authentic! must try when you go thailand

went to the night market, don't know the name of the place but i remember there are many nice 'eating places' at the side...we went to this nice looking restaurant selling 'ramen' and it was really good! i think you can just base it on your gut feeling and go and try different places to eat

If you're tired, must must must go for foot reflexology! the women in thailand are very strong and good in this...

Hope i helped and do report back!

Comment

Emporium is for branded goods and its not much of a bargain unless they happened to be having sales. But I do like the food court upstairs. Its basically street hawker food in a nice air conditioned place.

I like going to Central Department Store at Chidlom. They are a mid-range place, equivalent to our Metro in terms of quality and design. But the prices are about our People's Park low end range. Moreover, that place is always having sales. I get all my office clothes, all my sports clothes and some of my faggoty disco gear from there.

My all time favourite Thai restaurant is called the Orient at Sukumvit Soi 49.

2nd all time favourite is Thanyin at Sathorn Road opposite the convent school.

3rd all time favourite is at the Oriental Hotel. Love having dinner there next to the river watching the rice barges chug by. A romantic experience not to be missed

4th all time favourite is Salathip at Shangrila. Also by the river. I learnt my Thai cooking from the chef there.

5th all time favourite is the Sukothai Hotel. Dining by frogs and toads and water lilies.

The restaurants I recommended are well, restaurants. So be prepared to be set back by at least S$50-100 for 2 people. If you're really on a budget, go for the food courts. Oh, I forgot Central Chidlom has a huge food court too but I prefer the one at Emporium. Otherwise, the 4th floor of World Trade Centre.

Night life, head for the Ministry of Sound. Its a happening disco. My old favourite is Taurus. Otherwise, the lobby lounge of Sheraton Hotel and Conrad Hotel have great jazz bands that makes Singapore look like a poor third world country.

Another thing to try is bumming around Khao Sahn Road. Its a backpackers' haven. I like sitting down there on a hot afternoon, chatting with young people from all over the world.

The World according to Psycho

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline

anyway you MUST go to Chatuchak! and you must persevere cos' it's really warm and stuffy but there are sooo many stuff to buy there...we even had to go back for seconds!
                The first time I went there with colleagues cum friends, we only spent an hour there because it's a huge mess and it's so hot!

Since then, one of friends have been going back there twice! And she would never, ever miss Chatuchak!! In fact, she so proudly proclaimed that she spent 6 hours shopping there! And this is a lot of shopping coming from someone who's so thrifty (at least more so than me).

Comment

yeah! best thing would be to spend a whole day there then after that go for a relaxing spa session which is really cheap in thailand!

BTW which hotel did you all stay in? i stayed at Asia hotel...budget and right at the MRT(or whatever they call it), very convenient!

Comment

if u like japanese food , you can actually try the jap restraunt at the world trade center or SIM square( i think they are the same) Its located at the top level of world trade center and the jap food is nice n real cheap.
                    They waitress wear the japan kimino while they speak thai .

Comment

Originally posted by dolphin
                      Have fun, Queenie!
                      Thanks dear.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline
                        yeah! best thing would be to spend a whole day there then after that go for a relaxing spa session which is really cheap in thailand!

BTW which hotel did you all stay in? i stayed at Asia hotel...budget and right at the MRT(or whatever they call it), very convenient!
                        Heard so much about ChatuChak. Sounds like the "Woman's Street" in Hong Kong to me.

Gosh, I don't even know which hotel I'll be staying. I just pack and go.

Comment

Uncle_Psycho, you know so much about Bangkok. Did you happen to stay there for a while?

Comment

Wow.... okay!!! I will persevere at the Chatuchak Mkt! Sure hope I get a lot of nice clothes..

Hey Uncle_Psycho, you sound as tho you practically lived in Bangkok your whole life! I'll check out the foodcourts but not those restaurants! Rather spend my money on clothes..shoes...cosmetics..

Pauline, I stayed at Asia Hotel the last time I was there. It's really convenient!! However, this time around I choose Novotel Sian Sq, coz its right in the middle of the shopping district... Can't wait to shop till I drop!!!

Oh Queenie, I'll be leaving on the 10th! Thats in a weeks time!! You lucky thing... Get to shop so much earlier than me!! I heard that Bangkok is having their Annual Mega Sale now, sure hope you get a lot of bargains!! Well enjoy!! And do report back here when you're back alright? Any idea whats the exchange rate? I haven't checked it out yet!

Comment

Originally posted by Queenie
                              Uncle_Psycho, you know so much about Bangkok. Did you happen to stay there for a while?

Hi Queenie,

I've been to Bangkok no lesser than 60 times in the last 10 years, mostly for business. Even fell in love with a lawyer there. These days if a girl tells me she is a lawyer, I develop SARs like symptoms immediately.

Enjoy your trip. Drop me a line if you need help. I have plenty of friends there. Anything from handsome softspoken Thai males to hunky Thai lesbians.

The World according to Psycho.

p/s But I really won't miss one pigout at the Orient. You'd never eat Thai food in Singapore again. I swear.

Comment

Working...
                              X