Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China > Beijing

Hello girls!

I'm going on a trip to Beijing and the last two days are free & easy. Any recommendations/must-go places? TIA!
    Last edited by nicole; 04-11-2003, 04:03 PM.

hi qiu,

hi, I'm a new here.

Me just came back from Beijing.

if u r interested in shopping places, some recommendations:

1) Wang2 Fu2 Jing3 Jie1 (Street)
    2) Xiu4 Shui3 Jie1
    3)Xin1 Shi4 Jie4 guang3 chang3.

#1 & #3 are higher ends shopping Mall.
    #1 is quite big shopping area, and has a street of nite hawkers.
    Can get cheap things from #2!

hope this helps.

Comment

All right! Will check these places out!

Comment

i'll check with my aunt on what we did (hope she kept a record?) and get back to you

i spent 1 week there in feb (just before the news of sars broke out ) do remember going to #1 and #2 which AnAn mentioned and for a shopaholic like me, i didn't do much shopping cause i couldn't find stuff to buy

#1 has a night market along the streets. great variety of food. they bbq it till its really dry and sell it on sticks (similar to satay but longer sticks)
        #2 sells all the faux stuff. LV, Burberry, Gucci etc.

remember to bargain!

guess you would visit the normal tourist attractions? great wall, tian an men, shi san ling etc? which hotel are you staying at?

oh ya! remember to eat peking duck!! i it and could eat it for dinner every night

Comment

Yup i'm visiting all the usual tourist attractions for the first few days but the remaining 2 days will be free & easy!

I peking duck too!

Not sure which hotel we're staying in because the tour agency can only confirm that 1-2 weeks before departure but i heard it's quite far from the central..

I doubt I'll buy much stuff too.. I think I'll buy more from the airport

Comment

Originally posted by qiu
            Yup i'm visiting all the usual tourist attractions for the first few days but the remaining 2 days will be free & easy!

I peking duck too!

Not sure which hotel we're staying in because the tour agency can only confirm that 1-2 weeks before departure but i heard it's quite far from the central..

I doubt I'll buy much stuff too.. I think I'll buy more from the airport
            Hmm.. think u will buy more cosmetics from the airport right?

Do be more careful when u shop at the night markets k? or just walking on the streets when it's crowded.. careful of pickpockets.. :shout:

Comment

you understand me so well

Comment

qiu : wonder if you've gone and come back already? but i'll post anyway.

Things to Beware Of :
                1. As previously mentioned, PICKPOCKETS! really, these people are dangerous! when in any crowd, say shopping mall (even high end ones!) or in a bazaar, do watch your bag! it should ideally have zips and be zipped at all times, and maybe put a little jingly bell thingy so you know when it's being disturbed :booty: and also, hold it in front of you whenever in a crowd!

2. Street food : don't touch unless you wanna take the risk! make sure they're cooking it cleanly

3. Killer prices : they are gonna knock a bundle outta you if they can... so bargain, and always threaten to leave if they refuse

4. Street Hawkers : if these are men, beware... the reason is, many of my friends almost got molested by them. they'd pretend to reach out to tap your arm to get you to look at their stuff, but they aim for your boob. unlucky me got touched. so just keep at arms length from them! PS : i met this incident at Tian1 Tan2

a must see is of course, forbidden city and the great wall

Last edited by islande; 14-11-2003, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Nope I haven't gone yet.. so your advice is useful

Hmm.. sounds scary! I think it'll be quite difficult for them to touch me because I'll be wearing sooo many layers of clothes!

Comment

oh yes there's gou bu li bao zi. (or was that in shanghai? :huh: ) anyway, do try the food at the roadside stalls!! they're really yummy! and cheap too. but it might be a tad unhygienic so if your tummy's really sensitive and all, stay away!! and oh, dont let them cheat your money! they're all out to cheat money, no, really! my mum was ALMOST cheated like twice. and at the roadside stalls for items, u can haggle with them by a big difference! oh and try the big hairy crab too. and of course, peking duck!

Comment

i felt rather bad bargaining with them too
                      till i realised i got ripped off badly than i started bargaining like crazy!

you're probably going to the forbidden city and summer palace, but if you don't got to check it out! very pretty!

Comment

I should be going there..

How much did u bargain? What was the price difference?

Comment

Originally posted by lysander
                          oh yes there's gou bu li bao zi. (or was that in shanghai? :huh: ) anyway, do try the food at the roadside stalls!! they're really yummy! and cheap too. but it might be a tad unhygienic so if your tummy's really sensitive and all, stay away!! and oh, dont let them cheat your money! they're all out to cheat money, no, really! my mum was ALMOST cheated like twice. and at the roadside stalls for items, u can haggle with them by a big difference! oh and try the big hairy crab too. and of course, peking duck!
                          yes yeS!! Gou bu li bao zi is a MUST TRY!

oh yah, forgot to say, often the stuff you see being sold at roadside stalls or souvenir touristy places eg. "antique" mirrors, Chinese knick knacks, will be available somewhere else... so if you think it's a leetle too expensive somewhere, don't give in to impulse!

Comment

I ate guo bu li bao in Tianjin. Wasn't fantastic. Suspect that the place they brought us wasn't that fantastic. Other than that the food is

You might want to check out their clubbing scene at San Li Tun. Pretty happening.

Summer Palace, Great Wall, Forbidden City is simply BEAUTIFUL!

Yup Wang Fu Jin is very nice too. I stayed at a hotel along the street. very convenient. Think its call Garden Hotel or something.

and when buying from street vendors, the starting price can start from 200 yuan and they will sell it to you for 10yuan!!!! :piss:

Comment

Will be raining over there at this time? It seems that Beijing's always flooded towards the end of the year.

My hotel's quite far from town I think and I'm quite worried that there'll be terrible traffic jams

Comment

Working...
                              X