• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greece > Athens

Anyone been to athens? or Greece?
    Please share your experiences!!!

hiya,

firstly, welcome to Cozycot!

i see you're new here. do pop over to CozyLounge and give us a short intro of yourself yah?

Comment

arh!! thanks. I've been lurking ard as a ghost for the past year or so, finally registered an acct. heehe

Comment

Re: Greece - athen

Originally posted by raggamuffin
        Anyone been to athens? or Greece?
        Please share your experiences!!!
        Been to Greece (mainland plus quite a number of the islands) 4 times in the past 10 years, last trip was to Crete. Athens is very polluted but a very interesting city. The Plaka, the Parthenon...Delicious gyros (meat roasted on the spit), grilled seafood...but the Greeks are quite rude, so just be forewarned. Inland there are monastries built on top of mountains, take a bus to the Corinth Canal, from Piraeus (Athens), take a boat to the islands. My fave : Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos, Rhodes, Crete and 2 others I've forgotten their names not touristic more difficult to remember. And you can even visit Turkey from there, that's what I usually do.

Comment

Athens & Santorini

Hi there!

I'll be headed to Athens and Santorini in June.. Does anyone have any tips and experiences to share? Thanks a lot

Comment

Athens is indeed a polluted and congested place. Weather super hot....so for girls, bring along tons of sunblock.But I must say that there are lots of interesting places to visit...Acropolis, temple of zeus, etc....and guess what?? they have very nice food, especially their lamb rice...**yummy**...compared to other places of Europe, Athens is considered friendly..with most of them able to understand and willing to communicate in English....its pretty convenient to go around as well, though their Metro trains are a bit old...

Comment

have always wanted to go to Greece!
              Is it safe or feasible to go free & easy?
              Or is it better with a guide or tours or such?

Comment

no need to go with tours because all the attractions are pretty near to each other...get a good map and off u go!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thea
                  Hi there!

I'll be headed to Athens and Santorini in June.. Does anyone have any tips and experiences to share? Thanks a lot
                  Do not know what you have organised or what you plan to do, but when I was last in Athens, from the airport I went to Piraeus to take a ferry that brought me to Santorini. When you arrived at the port, everything is UP there. You'll find hotel touts hanging around with photos of their rooms. I took the opportunity to get myself a ride UP there, saying I would like to visit the rooms but will not commit myself to taking one.

Turned out the rooms (with bathroom) were clean and nice, cheap, though not in the heart of town. But calmer this way and the walk to town took only 15 mins so it was OK. The old town was built on the slope, so the view's quite spectacular, lots of alleys to explore, pictures to take.

Island hopping is easy in Greece. You may wish to visit another island like Mykonos, for example. At the port I followed a woman to check out her rooms located in one of the typical white-washed houses on the island, problem was they all look the same may be difficult to find your way back to your room after.

In Athens, usual city lifestyle, visits and shopping. And daytrips to the monasteries, the Canal...I took a hotel near the Plaka and moved about in the area, between the 2 squares etc. In the morning, visited the local markets, looked through the leather stuff, contemplated the chess sets.

You'll have fun.

Comment

Hi gals,

Planning to go Greece next yr June.

Places to go will be Athens, Mykonos and Santorini. Think will be there abt 10 days.. Not sure if there will be enough time to hop over to Turkey.
                    Any kind soul can advise?

also, i am quite worried abt the ferry journey. hi speed boats will take 3 hrs to go Mykonos and 5 hrs to for Santorini!

i tend to get seasick!
                    any one can advise if they took a domestic flight over to the islands? what's the pros and cons compared to ferry?

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by smurfy View Post
                      Hi gals,

Planning to go Greece next yr June.

Places to go will be Athens, Mykonos and Santorini. Think will be there abt 10 days.. Not sure if there will be enough time to hop over to Turkey.
                      Any kind soul can advise?

also, i am quite worried abt the ferry journey. hi speed boats will take 3 hrs to go Mykonos and 5 hrs to for Santorini!

i tend to get seasick!
                      any one can advise if they took a domestic flight over to the islands? what's the pros and cons compared to ferry?

thanks!
                      Hmm, I did that more than 10 years ago plus Crete and Rhodes as well as Turkey from South to North - in 1 month. When you arrive in Athens, you may spend a day or 2 there, then go to Piraeus and catch a ferry to Myconos or Santorini. The ferry between the 2 islands is indeed quite shaky, I nearly vomited (very seasick kind) but survived. I would avoid taking more planes if I can help it, the fun thing about the Greek islands is being on the sea and planes nowadays tend to be pretty lehcheh with all the security hoohah.

I went on to Turkey (Mamaris) via Rhodes though. And then travelled overland to Trabzon, Istanbul etc and flew back from there. Sin-Ath-Ist-Sin with Turkish.

You probably can gain an entry point further north (eyeing Bodrum). Or return to Athens and fly to Istanbul from there also with Turkish Airlines. I did that on another trip (sin-ist-ath-ist-cairo-ist-sin).

Comment

Just came back from a 9D7N hol to Greece (Athens, Mykonos & Santorini). Athens, tho' dusty and polluted, has lots of shopping and makan places (Tavernas). However, shopping is very expensive. Only Zara is cheaper than S'pore. Avene seems cheaper there too. Mykonos is lovely - nice scenary, pretty hotels, and lovely, quaint shopping streets. Santorini, IMO, is spectacular. Lovely sunsets, romantic restaurants, and cosy hotels.

However.... be warned - service is real terrible in Greece and people are very rude. The local agencies we used were most terrible - very bad service, and slapped on extra, unreasonable charges on us, forcing us to pay. The agencies were New Dragon Travel Ltd (@ 14 Pantazi Str, N. Kosmos, 117 44 Athens - Greece), and DLS Travel Agency (@ 10 Viennas Street - Athens 117 44). Dun ever use them!

Comment

Any tips for a group of budget travellers/backpackers (all girls) going to Greece in July?

In terms of lodging, must-go places, must-eat foods, and good shopping?

Thnks in advance!

Comment

Going to Greece this coming Saturday!

Any idea how long is it to travel from Athens airport to Pireas port?

Comment

anyone has any itinerary to share ???
                              better to go on free and easy or package tour ???
                              which period is the best time to go ?
                              my email [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X