X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Cruise

Just found this good deal for cruise to Alaska

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=12148

US$399 per person for 7 nights cruise in an inside cabin(no window), excluding airfare.

This is really a very good deal ! I went to Alaska on the Star Princess, and it is the best trip of my life. All meals are included, and the food is very good. The scenery is fantastic. We can view the snow mountains and glaciers from the deck. The cruise ship is like a floating 5 star hotel. The cabins are just like a hotel room and are very comfortable. The best thing about cruising is that, you fall asleep on a comfortable bed, the next morning when you wake up, you are at another destination. We had a cabin with a balcony for US$999 per person. So this time for US$399 it is really worth it ! I would not mind an inside cabin, because the public areas are very nice for viewing the scenery.

One of my dream holidays is to the Alaska Cruise in an outside cabin. But what I heard is that it costs close to $7000 per person including flights to Vancouver for the 7 day cruise. How did u get yours so cheap?

Comment

Honeypie,

I did everything myself instead of going through a tour agent. I booked the cruise through an internet website. US$999 per person for a balcony cabin, is excluding airfare, and is in May, which is not the peak period. July and August are most expensive, May is cold but can tahan. I got the airfare to Vancouver on Cathay Pacific for S$999 only from Misa Travel, and this even included one free night of hotel stay in Hong Kong. We took a one way trip from Vancouver to Anchorage, so need to buy an airticket from Anchorage at about S$500, I booked this on the United Airlines website. We stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver for one night before the cruise, also got a good rate from the internet. So total is about $3600+. If you choose the round trip ones you can save one airticket. If I go next time, I also would not mind the inside cabin, because it is much cheaper, and we will enjoy the same food and facilities.

You can try the following websites which have good discounts for cruises.

http://www.vacationstogo.com
      http://www.cruisevaluecenter.com

Choose Alaska, May 2005 and Princess cruise line.

Originally posted by Honeypie
      One of my dream holidays is to the Alaska Cruise in an outside cabin. But what I heard is that it costs close to $7000 per person including flights to Vancouver for the 7 day cruise. How did u get yours so cheap?
      Last edited by tamarind; 04-05-2005, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Honeypie
        One of my dream holidays is to the Alaska Cruise in an outside cabin.
        same as me...
        hope i can go in future....

Comment

Alaska is good to be explored on land as well. I find the cruise a little boring. Should go to Denali National Park as well.. instead of just staying on the cruise. Will see lots of retirees on the cruise..

Comment

Originally posted by tamarind
            Honeypie,

I did everything myself instead of going through a tour agent. I booked the cruise through an internet website. US$999 per person for a balcony cabin, is excluding airfare, and is in May, which is not the peak period. July and August are most expensive, May is cold but can tahan. I got the airfare to Vancouver on Cathay Pacific for S$999 only from Misa Travel, and this even included one free night of hotel stay in Hong Kong. We took a one way trip from Vancouver to Anchorage, so need to buy an airticket from Anchorage at about S$500, I booked this on the United Airlines website. We stayed at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver for one night before the cruise, also got a good rate from the internet. So total is about $3600+. If you choose the round trip ones you can save one airticket. If I go next time, I also would not mind the inside cabin, because it is much cheaper, and we will enjoy the same food and facilities.
            Tamarind, is $3600+ inclusive of the tips on the cruise? I would love to take an Alaskan cruise as well but always thought it would be too expensive. TIA!

Comment

ae260, yes it is inclusive of tips, but exclusive of shore excursions. I had a cabin with balcony and I travelled in May. The cruise ship stops at 3 places where you can do exciting things like helicopter ride and walk on glacier, canoeing to a glacier, trekking to look for bears, whale watching and even fly fishing. All these will cost extra. But if your cruise ship goes to Glacier Bay or College Fjord, you will see enough glaciers from the comfort of your ship. When the ship is at shore there are complimentary transport to town for shopping.

The total price will vary a lot depending on which month you go, which itinerary you choose, whether you take inside or outside cabins, and which airline you take. For example, if you can go now :

1. Cruise leaving on May 21 on Island Princess, Vancouver to Anchorage, inside cabin (no window) = US$349/S$578 at www.vacationstogo.com

2. China Airlines ticket to Vancouver, return from Anchorage = S$1208

3. One night hotel stay at Crowne Plaza Hotel in Vancouver = CAD$179/S$235 at http://www.tourismvancouver.com/index.cfm

Total including tax should be under S$2500. I will always shop around for the best deals in the internet. If you want to go in July/ August, cruise fare and airfare will cost much more. For cruises, fares will drop when it is closer to the sailing date. For airfare, you might not get the cheapest fare at the last minute. For hotels, if you don't mind budget hotels it can be even cheaper.
              Last edited by tamarind; 19-05-2005, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Were the shore excursions expensive? I'd hate the thought of going all the way there and then skimping on everything but seems like it's a lot more affordable than I thought. A friend went recently and she spent over $6k just on the cruise and tickets.

Comment

These are the shore excursions we took

Juneau : helicopter ride with landing on the glacier's surface
                  Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter Tour US$215

Skagway : we went canoeing to the glacier
                  Glacier Point Wilderness Safari US$219

we also travel by bus to the mountains
                  To The Summit US$36

Actually later we saw so many glaciers from our cruise we were wondering if it is worth it to spend so much on shore excursions. If you plan to go, make sure you cruise goes to Glacier Bay and College Fjord, otherwise you may not see much from the cruise.

There are many other tours under US$100. Check out the following

http://www.princess.com/planner/shorex/index.jsp

Originally posted by ae260
                  Thanks for the tips! Were the shore excursions expensive? I'd hate the thought of going all the way there and then skimping on everything but seems like it's a lot more affordable than I thought. A friend went recently and she spent over $6k just on the cruise and tickets.
                  Last edited by tamarind; 24-05-2005, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks tamarind, you gave me something to consider for the next long holiday

Comment

Finally got time to create a travel blog, including photos of the amazing scenery in Alaska. Please feel free to view.

http://alaskacruisephotos.blogspot.com/

Comment

ahh...drooling by just looking at the pics! must save enough to travel there one day!

Comment

thanks tamarind!!!
                          i will be going on the alaska cruise in may..
                          departing from vancouver..
                          excited..

few questions...
                          which month did u visit?
                          what was the temperature like?
                          i am trying to figure out how thick or thin my jackets should be..
                          it looks cold with the ice and everything...
                          Last edited by whitefrost; 09-04-2008, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whitefrost View Post
                            thanks tamarind!!!
                            i will be going on the alaska cruise in may..
                            departing from vancouver..
                            excited..

few questions...
                            which month did u visit?
                            what was the temperature like?
                            i am trying to figure out how thick or thin my jackets should be..
                            it looks cold with the ice and everything...
                            Hi How much did you pay for the cruise? Will you be visiting the
                            Canadian Rockies also?

Comment

i am going by celebrity cruises...
                              http://www.celebritycruises.com/sear...p=ANY&x=7&y=11

i am spending a total of 3 weeks in canada...
                              7 nights will be for the cruise..
                              thereafter i will be travelling round canada.. including the rockies..
                              may drive down to seattle / portland to check out the factory outlets..
                              so far i have not confirmed my itenarary... except my cruise and my airline...
                              no hotels booked yet.. hehe

Comment

Working...
                              X