Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China > Guangzhou

Hi Girls,

Anybody been to Guangzhou before??? Any attractions and shopping?

TIA

reviving this thread.
    cos i seriously need some insights on Guangzhou and what's nice there?

thinking of heading for a trip beginning of May.
    Will be travelling guangzhou then down to HKG.

please share. =)

Comment

Been there in 2006. Guangzhou is a nice place to shop but not much sightseeing. There are alot of wholesale centre, e.g.Bai Ma Fu Zhuang Pi Fa...Personally i like to shop at Beijing Lu (Beijing Road), been there 3 times within the 7days when i was there.

Enjoy ur trip

Comment

thought of going guangzhou in june too.. heard that there are many pickpockets there.. is it true? any hotels to recommend? is the place clean? thanx..

Comment

Originally posted by marshmallow View Post
          thought of going guangzhou in june too.. heard that there are many pickpockets there.. is it true? any hotels to recommend? is the place clean? thanx..
          Clean and Guangzhou cannot go in the same sentence ...

Comment

Originally posted by marshmallow View Post
            there good and cheap food in guangzhou. but please please be ver very careful.

there are not only pickpockets, those crooks actually snatch your bags in daylight. the infamous motocycle robbers will actually get off their bikes to "scold" you of you do not give them your bags. Onlookers will just stand and watch because the do not want to be harmed if they intervened.

there motorcycle bandits are so serious that they govt is considering banning mototbikes in the city.I saw it in the news.

I was there in 2005 for an expo. there are policemen at every corner of the city. I spoke to a local salesgirl there and they saw this is only the case during the expo week because they want to protect the foreigners that come for the expo. She says crime is really serious in Guangzhou. She was snatched of her gold chain once.

my own experience is like this. My SO & I wanted to buy a train ticket to another part of China, however all tickets were sold out on the date that we desperately wanted. Then a tout approached us to say he has the tickets that we want. He suggest us to follow him to his shop to show us, we can reject if we feel we don't want to buy.

We were lead to a proper shop at a crowded road where air/train tickets are sold. However my SO still felt unsafe so we appologised to him, so we will decide later and walked off. The then started cursing after us and got angry.we ignore him and continue walking. He then kicked my SO.

Hence I turned around and spoke to him in Cantonese saying that he said it was ok if didn't want to buy, then we walk away again. I think a policeman appeared from afar and he gave up, we were so afraid that he will beat us up.

Don't want to scare you. Just want you to be extra careful.

Comment

i was there for 3 days in 2006. GZ has alot of wholesale centre where prices are rock bottom but there is min quantity required. I don like the local food, except at chinese restaurants and fast food chains. I don think they are hygenic too .. the fact that they wrap dumplings outside the shops and GZ is so dusty. The roads are in need of repair .. need i say more? haha .. The conditions of the taxis are worst! omg! old and like giving way .. all the taxis i took are old and 2 had doors that either won open or close properly until the drivers help me with it. I have not encountered pickpockets but there are beggars everywhere .. some beg as a family .. (children sleeping on the floor beside the parent). Not much sighseeing .. but i went in April and the weather was great ..

Seafood is cheap in GZ! me and SO have 5 dishes every dinner and bill was less than $40 each time. Those hello kitty imitations can be found at wholesale centres. I bought cosmetic pouches at less than SGD3. Min is 5 pces IIRC .. CD also cheap at RMB25 - RMB30. I also bought alot of magazines and publications by artiste (eg, books published by Da S, and some others i cant recall at SGD8 to $10 .. i paid 2 x these prices when i got similiar books in taiwan). Prices at Watsons are also cheaper ..i lugged back so many face masks .. interesting ones we don find in singapore) ..

Comment

oh, by the way, do not go GZ around April and Oct during the Guangzhou Expo week because hotels will be very full, and they up the hotel rates to about 3times the normal
                -
                -
                -

Comment

eddy! that is scary! i'm glad we didnt encounter that when we were there! but we are aware that if we do not have the intention of buying, don even ask about the price, lest to bargain for the shop owners will chase after us and pester .. we experienced that in shenzhen ..

the hotels also no good. we stayed at furama hotel ..

Comment

I'm pretty sure the ban for motorcycles is already in place. I hardly saw any while I was there in March. There are still police patrolling nearly all the wholesale centers. I used to go there in winter so all our bags were in the coat. Was a bit apprehensive about going in warmer whether, but it turned out surprisingly safe this time round. I wouldn't recommend the roadside joints for food, and always drink bottled water, not just boiled from the taps. I wouldn't follow anyone anywhere for anything. There are established places for stuff you want to buy. There was a case not so long ago where a whole bunch of people were driven off by a bus from Guangzhou to Shenzhen, and it turned out to be a con because they didn't get tickets from the actual station. They all got robbed and abandoned. NEVER buy things from touts.

Comment

How abt air tickets from SG to GZ?
                      and from GZ to HKG and back to SG .
                      is there such arrangement through budget air?

Comment

Originally posted by gayle View Post
                        How abt air tickets from SG to GZ?
                        and from GZ to HKG and back to SG .
                        is there such arrangement through budget air?
                        you can buy tigerair one way to GZ then take an express rail train(cheap, fast & comfortable) to Shenzhen/HongKong. Then buy a Jetstar one way ticket from HK back to SG

but jetstar one way from HK to SG is not cheap
                        -
                        -
                        -

Comment

Hi,
                          went to tigerair webby to have alook .
                          but can't seemed to select " one way". the system keeps prompting for round trip selection.

is there something wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by gayle View Post
                            Hi,
                            went to tigerair webby to have alook .
                            but can't seemed to select " one way". the system keeps prompting for round trip selection.

is there something wrong?

nothing wrong. I can successfully click on one way.
                            -
                            -
                            -
                            -

Comment

Hi!

I'm planning a trip for 9 days

Guang Zhou --> Shen Zhen --> HK --> Macau --> Guangzhou

Can somebody kindly advice what transportation to take (more efficient and cheap)? cannot decide between which rail/ ferry to take...

eh.. it'll be great if you could recommend a few hotels that's cheap and in great location
                              Thanks a million!

Comment

Working...
                              X